NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2023, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
They should contact an attorney, have the actual contracts/agreements they were asked to sign reviewed in detail to make sure they didn't accidently sign something different, or determine if they were possibly subject to a type/form of a bait and switch tactic where they relied upon what was on a TPG's website or other documentation, before being given something different to sign and which was not what they thought they were agreeing to. If it still looks like the TPG could be at fault, begin reaching out and look to contact as many other people who may have faced and had the same thing done to them, and then start a class-action lawsuit with as many potential plaintiffs as possible.

An individual going back and by themselves questioning a large organization for something like this is likely to just be ignored, and/or summarily dismissed, by the party that wronged them. Approaching that same party with legal representation and a large group of class-action participants is likely going to get a much different reaction and response from the alleged wrongdoer.
One plaintiff is enough to start a putative class action, having many doesn't really make any difference. If you are talking about many plaintiffs consolidating their claims into a regular (not class) action, that's something different.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:56 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One plaintiff is enough to start a putative class action, having many doesn't really make any difference. If you are talking about many plaintiffs consolidating their claims into a regular (not class) action, that's something different.
LOL

I am not attorney as you know, but since the OP mentioned knowing 3 people with somewhat similar situations, I think we both know there are likely a whole heck of a lot more people than just those 3 that may be a tad unhappy with how they were treated and dismissed by such an entity. And I think we both have seen, or at least heard of, situations where an individual going up against a large company/entity usually gets dismissed when they complain. That company/entity knows full well that an individual probably doesn't have the time or resources to really follow through and go after them, as their actual loss (downgrading their card from a 3.0 to say a 2.0 grade, without the card owner's knowledge and approval, and the subsequent loss in card value that incurs) isn't likely to be worth the time and effort for that individual to fight the larger company/entity at fault. That same person partnering up with others in a consolidation of claims, or a class action type suit, can change that dynamic though.

Our society today will often also quickly side against such an individual that, by themself, can be shown to maybe have missed understanding or doing something that a company/entity can maybe then try to legally hide behind because they got the harmed party to sign or agree to something they didn't fully realize or understand. But start bringing forward a whole group of people (via either a class-action or simple consolidation of claims type of action) that got taken by that same company/entity in similar ways and manners, and suddenly the public starts to say to themselves, "Wait a minute, WTF is going on!". Also, with more people banding together, you're way more likely to be able to find legal representation that is more than willing to take on such a legal action, for not just publicity, but for a more likely than not payday to come. But you're the attorney, please tell me if I'm completely wrong in that thinking. I simply mentioned a class-action suit as I figured most non-attorneys on the forum would understand my meaning and intent that way. Thanks for informing everyone and adding the option to simply consolidate plaintiff claims as another possible action.

But back to the point of why it might be good to consolidate potential plaintiffs in such actions, think of it another way. Say one woman comes forward and accuses someone, maybe a TV star, a movie producer, or even an NFL quarterback, of sexual abuse and other crimes and issues. Often it becomes a "he said - she said" situation, with a lot of people often going against the alleged victim as just being out for money or some other self-serving reason. But now replace that one alleged female victim with literally dozens or more woman coming forward with similar stories of harm, all at the same time, and against the same alleged offender. Suddenly the public, and the courts, start to pay a little more attention and realize that there might be a lot more to this than just a simple one-time, "he said - she said" kind of thing, where there really was no harm being caused by the accused party's continuing, and maybe not so unintentional, actions.

Last edited by BobC; 01-08-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

If an individual has a claim that is likely to meet the technical requirements for class action treatment, and the potential class damages are large enough, the individual won't need any resources at all to fight the big company, that's what the class action bar does. Of course most claims won't fit that category despite the public perception of class actions as some panacea for every wrong done by TPGs and everyone else in corporate America. That said, under the right circumstances, they are a powerful tool.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-08-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Jim Caravello

I’ve posted before - Case I - bought an Ernie Banks game used bat from a major auction house - when the bat arrived it had a full PSA Authentication Letter for the autograph - problem is that Bat was never autographed…..NEVER…..

Case II - Sent pics of a Munson signed baseball signed in front of me and a buddy as children for a quick opinion (buddy wanted to sell) and PSA rejected the autograph….stellar work gang….

PSA is a joke - plain and simple….go to any site selling PSA cards - 7s look like 8s - look like 6s……

No consistency……a total joke…..

Do I have PSA authenticated and graded items in my collection? Yes - will I ever send anything into them for authentication or grading - NO…..I’ve had a friend submit a few tickets for me just to get them slabbed for protection purposes - would never send them a baseball card to get graded….and certainly wouldn’t trust them to reslab one of their own…..

Last edited by JimmyC; 01-08-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:48 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I’ve reholdered many 4-5 figure cards and never once had this happen.

They are only “supposed” to regrade if there is damage above/below the card to the slab or something like water damage.

I’d be interested in seeing the cards that this happened to.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:04 PM
Pete Sycks

If the high dollar card is a 52 Topps Mantle I know the guy. He talked to PSA and they gave him some money.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's

Last edited by sycks22; 01-08-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:04 PM
Drew W@i$e

Appreciate all the comments.

My main point was that this happened to three collectors and I was wondering if any other net54 members had this happen to their recent reholder submissions.

For those disagreeing, I present information, you make decisions
Old 01-08-2023, 06:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post

My main point was that this happened to three collectors and I was wondering if any other net54 members had this happen to their recent reholder submissions.

What are you gaining by withholding the details you say make each case unique? I don't get it.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:14 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Good thread Drew, at least gets some people talking about a particular situation.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Michael S

Quote:

To your main point: Just had a 12k card reholdered. Mailed 12/20/22, received Friday, January 6, 2023. No issues whatsoever.

I too would like more information to validate you're original post. But of course you are under no obligation. Just perplexing.