NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-22-2022, 08:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Yngwie J. Malmsteen

(if you know...you know)
Saw him live along with Triumph.

Which reminds me about Rik Emmett.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:04 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Saw him live along with Triumph.

Which reminds me about Rik Emmett.
Did you see the Triumph documentary that was released this year?
It's a good watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_w05t6qpCY
Old 12-24-2022, 01:45 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

A lot of interesting choices. Two of the popular picks I feel are terribly overrated, but I will leave that for another day.

You cannot say someone is the best of all time due to so many genres. Also playing loud and fast while acting like you are squeezing a watermelon out your butt does not mean you are great or even good.

Some of my choices:

Brian May
Carlos Santana
George Benson - especially his 1960's recordings on Verve
Paco de Lucia - one of the finest flamenco guitarists
Al DiMeola
Roy Clark - master of the guitar, banjo and fiddle
Glen Campbell - a musicians musician. There are always stories about bands asking other musicians to play on their recordings. One of the great stories of him is he would be in a recording studio working and he would ask bands if he could play with them. This was during the time when the musicians knew who he was, not when he was unknown.

Others to consider:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - listen to her recording of "Didn't it Rain" which she first recorded in 1947/48. You can see where Chuck Berry, Duane Eddy, Carl Perkins and many others got their style.

Mother Maybelle Carter - mother in law of Johnny Cash. Known for her two finger style of playing. Picking the bass strings with her thumb while fingering the other strings.

Django Reinhardt - a Gypsy/Romani and probably the first European jazz star.

Peter Green - check out 'Hypnotized' by Fleetwood Mac

Steve Howe - rarely mentioned in this category, but a lot of his work on the early Yes albums is quite complex.

Alan Holdsworth - King Crimson and UK

Brian Setzer - re-popularized rockabilly with Stray Cats and his own band

Larry Carlton

Bonnie Raitt - mistress of the glass/bottle slide

Nancy Wilson

Robert Fripp - King Crimson. Ignoring the fact that he is a bit of a richardhead. I saw him perform a private Frippertronics show in NYC in 1981.

Jennifer Batten - mostly known as a sidewoman. Lead guitar Michael Jackson's Bad tour

Steve Cropper - Booker T and the MG's, Blues Brothers and hundreds of top 10 songs and albums. Stax session guitarist who also co-wrote "Knock on Wood", "In the Midnight Hour" "Soul Man" and "(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay".

Link Wray - the original grunge guitar player.

Johnny Ramone - most people dismiss punk guitar as 3 chords fast and loud. A lot of it was, but listen to the Ramones covers of songs like "California Sun", "Surfin' Bird" "Come on Let's Go" (w/Paley Bros) and "Little Bit of Soul"

Rick Derringer - I think he gets no respect. He has been performing for over 48 years. Starting with the McCoys to Edgar and Johnny Winter, Derringer and solo. He also played on quite a few other bands albums - Steely Dan ("Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is about him), Air Supply ("Making Love Out of Nothing at All" his favorite guitar solo), Bonnie Tyler ("Total Eclipse of the Heart"), Barbra Streisand, Todd Rundgren and Meatloaf. I also heard he played on at least one of the songs on "Kiss Alive II". Along with his rock albums he has also recorded blues and Christian albums.

I have been fortunate to have met a number of them (Santana, Benson, Cropper, Carlton, DiMeola, Howe, Holdsworth, Batten, Wray, Ramone and Derringer) and photographed many in concert as well (May, DiMeola, Howe, Holdsworth, Batten, Wray, Ramone and Derringer). I was fortunate enough to photograph Link Wray's last and only U.S. show of the year on October 14, 2000 at Clark University, Worcester, Mass. Most of the 70 or so people in attendance could have been his grandchildren and probably did not know who he was. He signed my rock book and I got his guitar pick after that show.

queen-3.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 12-24-2022 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:26 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I love the blues/rock/country guitarist.
All the above are greats.
Grew up on Clapton & Stevie Ray Vaughn
I also add Joe Walsh (from the Eagles)
Johnny Lang
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
and the new kid --Marcus King
Old 12-26-2022, 04:11 PM
Phil

Julian Bream, Joe Pass, Eliot Fisk, Li Jei (check out her interpretation of Paganini's 24th Caprice on YouTube as a 13-year-old), Johnny Winter, George Van Eps, and Ted Greene because of his dedication to teaching guitar and that I knew personally in the late 70s as he was also a football card collector.

I also enjoy the music of Robert Fripp and Paul Dresher. My favorite in terms of rock would be Jimi Hendrix and the most fantastic guitar solo that plays through my head constantly is "I Heard Her Call My Name" by Lou Reed on the Velvet Underground's "White Light/White Heat."

I guess the best guitarist is the one whose playing is pleasing to a particular listener.

Phil aka Tere1071
A listener, not a player.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:25 PM

Two underrated guys who I haven’t seen mentioned yet are Robert Quine who was behind some of Lou Reed’s best sounds and Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze.
Fripp, May, Knopfler, Vai and Stevie Ray all rank up there with Hendrix and Prince in the top tier.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Chuck

As I said above, I couldn't care less how "good" he actually was. When you can generate joy like this, that's what matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swgiM9vSEE&t=0s

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:16 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Two underrated guys who I haven’t seen mentioned yet are Robert Quine who was behind some of Lou Reed’s best sounds and Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze.
Fripp, May, Knopfler, Vai and Stevie Ray all rank up there with Hendrix and Prince in the top tier.
Another mention of Fripp. For those unaware, Fripp and his wife, Latoya Wilcox, have regularly throughout the pandemic been releasing their "Sunday Lunch" performance videos online for all to see and hear.

Some examples, including their Christmas 2022 release:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/toyah...-lunch-3371713

https://consequence.net/2022/11/robe...k-and-destroy/

https://www.goldradiouk.com/news/mus...-lunch-videos/
Old 12-26-2022, 08:25 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Another mention of Fripp. For those unaware, Fripp and his wife, Latoya Wilcox, have regularly throughout the pandemic been releasing their "Sunday Lunch" performance videos online for all to see and hear.

Some examples, including their Christmas 2022 release:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/toyah...-lunch-3371713

https://consequence.net/2022/11/robe...k-and-destroy/

https://www.goldradiouk.com/news/mus...-lunch-videos/
Toyah Willcox was originally a 'new wave' singer performing just as "Toyah'. I remember when she first started out in the late 70's early 80's. She had multiple hits in the U.K though she never caught on here in the States. She is also an actress, author and as they say over there 'tv presenter. I believe she may have had some health issues in the last decade or so.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-26-2022, 10:13 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Another unique guitarist was Glenn Branca.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:25 PM
Phil

How could I forget Elmore James and some of the members of the Wrecking Crew (Tommy Tedesco and Barney Kessel), which also included Glen Campbell?

Phil aka Tere1071
a listener, not a player