NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-29-2022, 09:18 AM
J0hn Collin$

Heavily faded cards are ugly, even if they were to be some kind of rare factory anomalies. That's what I don't get.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Heavily faded cards are ugly, even if they were to be some kind of rare factory anomalies. That's what I don't get.
Some like that 62 Topps Aaron are ugly. Then some like the 58 Aaron when turned blue are amazing.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:24 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Some like that 62 Topps Aaron are ugly. Then some like the 58 Aaron when turned blue are amazing.
Kind of along the lines of some T205 cards where the gold borders seem to turn green. No specific reason or known cause, just speculated as an age, fading, ink, or exposure issue.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:31 PM
Wayne V

Default 1963 Post Mantle

He's been trying to sell a missing red ink 1963 Post Cereal Mantle for about a couple of years. He has gradually gotten the price lower.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

As a postscript to all of this, I finally heard back from PSA. Of course, they pretty much ignored my simple, straightforward questions (about the Bench card) and their reply basically said that they can confirm that the cert. # is legitimate, but they cannot comment on what may have occurred after the slab left their facility.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:17 AM
J0hn Collin$

Kind of as a companion topic to all of this, I've never understood why print quality and color are not treated with the same discernment at PSA and SGC as pure technical issues with the cardboard itself.

A hidden wrinkle is a hell of a lot less obvious to eye appeal than a badly faded card, yet I've seen examples where an ugly faded Mantle can still get a PSA 6, whereas a beautiful example of the same card with a hidden wrinkle gets a 3 or a 2. That just makes zero sense.

Likewise with focus issues. The '69 Topps Nolan Ryan #533 is a good example here. Due to focus issues, this card can often be found with Nolan having strange looking lips, overlapping pupils, or 4 eyebrows. But if this is the only thing wrong with the card, it can also easily be found this way in fairly high grade - like PSA 6 and 7. Makes no sense. I'd rather have the card moderately OC or with some other minor flaw, trading that for a well-focused image.

TPG's have harshly judged centering as a "factory" issue for at least a generation now. I know they have the OF qualifier, but in practice I rarely see this used. The criteria behind judging how a card is made at the factory either OC or OF is not really different. In terms of "color quality", at least to my knowledge there is no standard for this, and many graders seem to be at least somewhat incompetent at recognizing even badly faded cards.

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-07-2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:41 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Kind of as a companion topic to all of this, I've never understood why print quality and color are not treated with the same discernment at PSA and SGC as pure technical issues with the cardboard itself.

A hidden wrinkle is a hell of a lot less obvious to eye appeal than a badly faded card, yet I've seen examples where an ugly faded Mantle can still get a PSA 6, whereas a beautiful example of the same card with a hidden wrinkle gets a 3 or a 2. That just makes zero sense.

Likewise with focus issues. The '69 Topps Nolan Ryan #533 is a good example here. Due to focus issues, this card can often be found with Nolan having strange looking lips, overlapping pupils, or 4 eyebrows. But if this is the only thing wrong with the card, it can also easily be found this way in fairly high grade - like PSA 6 and 7. Makes no sense. I'd rather have the card moderately OC or with some other minor flaw, trading that for a well-focused image.

TPG's have harshly judged centering as a "factory" issue for at least a generation now. I know they have the OF qualifier, but in practice I rarely see this used. The criteria behind judging how a card is made at the factory either OC or OF is not really different. In terms of "color quality", at least to my knowledge there is no standard for this, and many graders seem to be at least somewhat incompetent at recognizing even badly faded cards.
I guess if somebody is buying the grade and not the card, that can be annoying. By my own standards, I weight color, focus and centering (which are easier to see from a picture than the technical irregularities the TPG's evaluate) much more than wrinkles and other surface irregularities. So I guess I am happy they spend their time on those things, so their grade gives me a good baseline before I look at it.

For example, this to me is a really nice 3.5. I don't need a TPG to grade it on eye appeal, I know what I like. But if this was being sold raw it would be very tough for most of us to know it has a major flaw. To me the technical grade of the card is what is important.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44420162(2).jpg (52.1 KB, 67 views)