NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkcpa View Post
Hi Brunswick,
Smartest move I ever made:
I paid $60K for my PSA 6 and $120K for my PSA 7. Those prices include BP. PSA had to retire my original PSA 7 SN and re holder with new SN due to a counterfeit example that was being circulated.
I am a big fan of eye appeal in all my cards. This iconic card will always continue to appreciate. This is not a 96 Kobe with 10 million Pop 10's There are millions of card investors who want a piece of the 52 Mantle and will always be looking to buy one. I turned down $185K for my 6 back in March.
Check out the PSA 8 in Memory Lane auction...... https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=60642 Chart buster
BTW....I graduated from Babson in 1976 with a BS in Accounting. Tuition was $950 a semester. Unfortunately I had to commute and lost so much of the college experience. But I did get to drive "Thunder Road" every day. I worked at an insurance agency as a bookkeeper on the corner of Beaver and Washington that later became a Bertucci's.
Dumbest move I ever made:
Investing a great deal into stem cell biotech stock back in 2010 called
Athersys (symbol ATHX). Had I put that money into AMZN and AAPL I would be retired instead of celebrating my 43rd anniversary as a CPA. I guess we all do stupid things.
Best of luck to you
Russ
$185k for your psa 6 52 mantle last March is a great offer considering a nice 52 mantle psa 6.5 just sold for $132k in heritage auctions last night.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 07-23-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:28 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I think it’s do for a 20-30% correction short term end of 23-25 especially in lower grades below 1-6. In the long run it’s only going up.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I think it’s do for a 20-30% correction short term end of 23-25 especially in lower grades below 1-6. In the long run it’s only going up.
If Im not mistaken prices have already come down 20-30% on these in most cases. Not sure they fall much farther but suppose they could? I think nows a great time to buy one personally. In the long run its only going up.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:10 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Go after the 51' Bowman Mantle and Mays rookies instead. Way better investment, IMO.
Problem is, I'm not really looking at it from an "investment" perspective. 51 Bowman is another issue I need, but it's not like I'm ever going to sell it after I buy it in the future, unless of course, it was for an upgrade of the same card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
If Im not mistaken prices have already come down 20-30% on these in most cases. Not sure they fall much farther but suppose they could? I think nows a great time to buy one personally. In the long run its only going up.
I have noticed the 52 Bowman and 53 topps starting to flatline a bit, haven't paid much attention to the 52 topps because even a 25% drop still makes it out of my price range for now. thankfully collecting is a life long process.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:19 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
$185k for your psa 6 52 mantle last March is a great offer considering a nice 52 mantle psa 6.5 just sold for $132k in heritage auctions last night.
I was not crazy about that card's eye appeal and it showed in the hammer price. All PSA 6-6.5-7's are not the same.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:15 PM

Nice PSA 5 up at REA, will it bring a new record high for a 5? Even average examples for the grade continue to sell at higher prices.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:01 PM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

I am seeing some here say that prices have dropped but that's not entirely accurate. Pretty much everything has dropped - however - even at the "dropped" prices, they are still higher than pre-covid prices so they have actually raised. Look at the 86 Jordan for example. They were selling at 30K during the 2019 National in late July of that year. Then by December, they were selling at 40K. Even if they have "dropped" in price from those two or four 700K sales, that is still a MASSIVE win for those who bought low.

I feel like the Mantles graded in the 5, 6 & 7 range are very underpriced - especially when you compare at the last few sales in PSA. How does a PSA 1 sell for 25-30K but then something like a 6 sells only between 110 & maybe $130K.

There is currently a 6 for auction at Heritage. I think it will hit the 120K mark. I think the 6's will be at the 300K before 2030 comes around. Just my guess seeing the popularity in cards and the demand for the 52 Mantle. As someone mentioned, there will always be people with deep pockets who want one. Feels like almost every new sale outsells the previous one when color and centering are similar.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:16 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It's only going to continue to go up. It is THE hobby card. Everyone wants one. There isn't a single card that is more iconic in this hobby other than possibly the mostly unobtainable Honus Wagner, but even then I think the Mantle is still more iconic.

I recently paid $45k for one in an Authentic slab though, so perhaps I'm biased. But I obviously believe in the card to spend that much on an altered? copy of it (though upon close examination, I haven't found any hard evidence of it actually having been altered yet).

Last edited by Snowman; 08-09-2021 at 12:09 AM. Reason: img
Old 08-09-2021, 06:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It's only going to continue to go up. It is THE hobby card. Everyone wants one. There isn't a single card that is more iconic in this hobby other than possibly the mostly unobtainable Honus Wagner, but even then I think the Mantle is still more iconic.

I recently paid $45k for one in an Authentic slab though, so perhaps I'm biased. But I obviously believe in the card to spend that much on an altered? copy of it (though upon close examination, I haven't found any hard evidence of it actually having been altered yet).

Beautiful card! If resubmitted and it gets a grade the second time around, you are going to make out like a bandit.

Good luck if you decide to do exactly that.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I Left a Michael Jordan Rookie Card PSA 10 on the Table. It was back in 2018 and I had a Babe Ruth Photo as a Red Sox Type 1. Picked up for 18K.

Someone offered to trade for it straight up. I did not know much about Basketball cards and politely declined. I sold the Photo and made a small profit.

But even with the Jordan Rookies down from its peek of over $700K for one selling I would have made a nice profit.

Never Know but I missed on a Home Run

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Beautiful card! If resubmitted and it gets a grade the second time around, you are going to make out like a bandit.

Good luck if you decide to do exactly that.
Thanks. Ya, I definitely want to have it looked at again. It was graded in 2011. It needs to be reslabbed regardless because the casing has been tampered with. It looks like someone previously tried to crack it out, probably for the same reason of getting a second opinion on it, but got cold feet and gave up because they didn't know how to do it properly and didn't want to damage it. I've examined it under blacklight and looked over every square millimeter with a jeweler's loupe. And I ran extremely high definition scans on it too. Nothing stands out as being altered. It has a very slight tilt to the top edge, but all edges show the same expected texture and chipping consistent with 1952 Topps cards. No sharp edges or anything like that. And it measures correctly. Nothing glows in blacklight. No recoloring that I've found yet either. I think it probably has a good chance of getting a grade if resubmitted.

Plus, I'd be famous over at the blowhard forums! They'd for sure post before and after photos of it along with all my personal info and add it to their tainted cards database and turn me over to the FBI lol.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:04 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

I think it slabbed as Auth because their edges seem to be too sharp and a bit under size.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:44 AM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

PSA 6 finished at 150K (includes BP).