NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2021, 07:39 PM
Avery Singh II

been waiting for another more experienced knowledgeable mind to chime in and APPRECIATE it. Seems like we do not have enough of this stuff out there for everyone to find and use as i feel some purchases wouldnt be made if there was a reference area to use readily compiled!

-Anonymous

Check my store out at: https://www.ebay.com/str/singhprospecting
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Avery Singh II

i do feel that there are some patient "thoughtful" or detailed(horrible word LOL) counterfeiters out there that the masses including tcg will not catch nor can with the little wiggle room of variance that existed between print runs.

-Anonymous

Old 05-07-2021, 09:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguywithadot View Post
i do feel that there are some patient "thoughtful" or detailed(horrible word LOL) counterfeiters out there that the masses including tcg will not catch nor can with the little wiggle room of variance that existed between print runs.
That's one of the reasons a lot of people don't get into the very detailed specifics on fakes. If we can read it, so can the forgers. And there isn't a lot of upside to doing their research/QA for them.

I bought a fake in 1978, that at the time was a lot of effort for the $2 it cost me. Someone actually copied a black and white halftone card, and a reverse and printed them on a press.
But they put a back on the card that it shouldn't have... Close, but nope. I keep it to remind me how much I always need to learn.

The card I saw in I think 81 or 82 was a really beautiful 51 Mantle. The dealer I hung out at handed it to me and asked what I thought about it. After a couple minutes I said "beautiful card, too bad it's fake" He asked how I knew, and all I could come up with was that it just seemed off but I couldn't say why. He'd shown it to a few local dealers and had talked to a couple others farther away who had also been sent the card. Everyone had the same opinion.
I like to think that now almost 40 years later I might be able to prove it was fake.
As far as I know they declined buying it, and sent it back.
(Oh, for the days when someone would actually mail a 51 Mantle to a dealer asking for an offer.... )

It's very likely there are some really skilled forgers out there. But they almost always get caught eventually

From a different hobby
Sperati
Fournier
And a whole rogues gallery of others, some very skilled, some less so.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stamp_forgers

https://d2jf3tgwe889fp.cloudfront.ne...8pp147-163.pdf

Someday we may have similar resources for cards, but that may not be in my lifetime.

Last edited by steve B; 05-07-2021 at 09:47 PM. Reason: mistakes were made... so many mistakes...
Old 05-08-2021, 05:06 AM

Default printing

I really appreciate you all taking the time to write this down. Very helpful !
Dan
Old 05-08-2021, 06:55 AM
Avery Singh II

that was some interesting linked material Steve! amazing to see basically an entire industry of stamp forgery that was thriving like that lol

-Anonymous

Old 05-08-2021, 11:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's a crazy hobby in some ways.
Sometimes something was printed using a different process, or even using a different press. And that can make a huge difference in value. As can sometimes slight differences in the paper used.

Cards are much easier!

Here's what's probably the best "find" I'll ever have.
A very common stamp, something like 65 million issued. Except, Plate 40 which can just be seen at the top was only used on an experimental steam powered press along with plate 36. Only about 2400 impressions total (240,000 total stamps from each plate) . I wrote an article about finding it for a stamp publication in 2012, the last time stamps from that plate had even been described was 1932. There are a few probable copies now that what the details were, but this is still the only certain copy from either plate. It would be a maybe if they'd gotten the centering right... The print quality is not great, about half of the 2c were done on the same press, and the print quality on those is often very bad. So bad the government insisted that steam powered presses not be used for any production, a contractual ban that lasted from 1873 into the late 1880's.

Last edited by steve B; 05-08-2021 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 05-09-2021, 02:48 AM
Avery Singh II

that is incredible! It really does pay off to learn production history of any item as it creates targets where nobody will ever even know it half the time i feel like!

-Anonymous

Old 05-11-2021, 03:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguywithadot View Post
been waiting for another more experienced knowledgeable mind to chime in and APPRECIATE it. Seems like we do not have enough of this stuff out there for everyone to find and use as i feel some purchases wouldnt be made if there was a reference area to use readily compiled!
There is an icon across the top, 2nd from the right, that says Net54Baseball Archive Center. There is a lot about alterations and forgeries in that area. Most folks don't care to look for stuff though. (not meant towards you)

I like talking about printing and stuff even though this is only a wet sheet transfer.