NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2021, 01:54 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Don't believe people who tell you the market is insane and about to collapse. Many of them have been a broken record for 20 years.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

In all my hobbies - "Collect what you like." It may be worth nothing tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:25 PM

Default Simple purchasing philosophy

1) If you can't afford to buy it twice, it's too expensive and you'll obsess over the price;
2) Pay 15% less than the average trending sale price for the grade/condition, omitting the upper and lower prices outliers, you can always resell at break even or better
Old 04-05-2021, 05:33 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Ruth Ruth and More Ruth

With a Side Order of Jackson

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I found the best pre-war collecting advice while reading Dante's Divine Comedy.

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

If you can afford the HOFers, don't let them pass you by. Grab them first.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:10 PM
Eric Perry

This thread reminded me of a card that was on my eBay watch list for a while. I don't remember exactly when I first saw it, but last summer sounds about right.

It was reasonably priced (for the issue) but an expensive card...for my budget, anyway. I probably came close to hitting "buy it now" a dozen times this past fall and winter, yet never went through with it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I figured it had probably sold by now; however, decided to check anyway. Surprisingly, the card was still available. Same price, too. Something was different now, though. There were 11 watchers.

Screw that. I'd spent too much time pondering the question of whether or not to buy this card. After dragging my feet for far too long, I somehow still had a chance to make the purchase. Those other 11 people can go find their own damn card. This one is mine.

Needless to say, I (finally) pulled the trigger and the card is on its way to me. All things considered, I'd have kicked myself for not seizing the opportunity...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-05-2021, 09:25 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
This thread reminded me of a card that was on my eBay watch list for a while. I don't remember exactly when I first saw it, but last summer sounds about right.

It was reasonably priced (for the issue) but an expensive card...for my budget, anyway. I probably came close to hitting "buy it now" a dozen times this past fall and winter, yet never went through with it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I figured it had probably sold by now; however, decided to check anyway. Surprisingly, the card was still available. Same price, too. Something was different now, though. There were 11 watchers.

Screw that. I'd spent too much time pondering the question of whether or not to buy this card. After dragging my feet for far too long, I somehow still had a chance to make the purchase. Those other 11 people can go find their own damn card. This one is mine.

Needless to say, I (finally) pulled the trigger and the card is on its way to me. All things considered, I'd have kicked myself for not seizing the opportunity...
Been there many times. My barometer is, if I don’t pull the trigger and someone else does, will I kick myself? If yes, buy it NOW!

Last edited by conor912; 04-05-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
When putting cards in 9 pocket pages, that last card's number in a page should all add up to 9

9 = 9
18 = 1 + 8 = 9
27 = 2 + 7 = 9
etc

I keep an eye on this and often I catch a mistake early which I can rectify without having to switch too many cards.
I learned this a couple of years ago...GAME CHANGER. Saves my bacon everytime I start bindering up cards. Last year my COVID project was to binder up all my old and new 1981 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer to 1990 sets...some of the sets were worth less than the binder and sheets...haha...but just wanted it done to honor my youth. I would have lost HOURS if I didn't add up every corner to make sure is added up to 9. Again, game saver!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-06-2021, 05:37 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Rich, I recall setting up in about the late 90's at Ft. Washington, PA across the aisle from Alan, who was residing in the Poobah Chair right at the entrance, with, of course, the open briefcase filled with crisp Benjamins and his faithful companion "Zubes" at his side (guarding the cash?). I exchanged a few words with him and he remarked that some guy would come in with some raw '52 Topps, most of them in lousy condition but that there would be a few nice high series cards. And the guy wouldn't know anything about high numbers. Alan rubbed his hands in anticipation while I went off to get one of those foul cheeseburgers. Well, at the end of the show he walked over to my table and laid out, yes, some nice high numbers, including, as I recall, a Reese, Robby and a beat up Mathews
I kinda, sorta miss the old rascal, and wouldn't he be amazed at the state of the current market. He thrived on deals and money.
In this market there would be no one better than Al at a show.

Rich
Old 04-06-2021, 09:19 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

A few years ago, when I was in college and had been working on my 1953 Topps set for about a year, I found a semi-tough card I needed on eBay. The seller and I went back and forth over the price, and we finally got to be about $2 apart. The card was roughly $40, so as a percentage $2 was a bit of a gap, and as a college student collecting vintage I was buying champagne on a beer budget, so I really had to watch every dollar. It was getting late, so I figured I'd sleep on the seller's counteroffer and see how I felt in the morning. As I lay down, I said to myself "I've been looking for this card for over a year. Am I really going to let it get away over $2?" I woke back up and accepted the counteroffer.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:30 AM
Rich Klein

I've had several people ask me recently about going "full-time" in this business (all modern people)

My one piece of advice to them is: and it's something I've picked up over the years

"If you are going to be a dealer, then you should not be a collector. Otherwise, money spent on your Pete Alonso collection should be spent on items for you to re-sell. For now, your collecting days are done."

I will also state if you have other income coming in then you can keep your collection going.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-06-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:26 AM
octavio ranzola

Buy vintage hockey
Old 04-06-2021, 11:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I've had several people ask me recently about going "full-time" in this business (all modern people)

My one piece of advice to them is: and it's something I've picked up over the years

"If you are going to be a dealer, then you should not be a collector. Otherwise, money spent on your Pete Alonso collection should be spent on items for you to re-sell. For now, your collecting days are done."

I will also state if you have other income coming in then you can keep your collection going.

Rich
That is great advise Rich.

Listen when told do not buy from (insert name). Because if they will screw over others they will screw you over also.

One of my favorite times I just shook my head was when a member on here asked if anyone knew who a eBay ID belonged to. I told him who it was and the seller is a well known card doctor. So the moron said "I guess I will have to look at the card really good when I buy it".LOL

This hobby will remain a joke as long as we let it.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

So true about not mixing business with pleasure. A number of times I've thought about becoming a small dealer because I enjoy buying and handling cards so much. But I'm not sure I'd be that great of a seller (too much of a softy, plus collecting would always be an anchor). If only the tax situation for hobbyists wasn't so brutal, I could just let the idea go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Buy vintage hockey
Oh, man, I wish I had listened when the little voice in my head was urging me to buy those early 50s Parkhurst cards for a song a few years ago. At least I bought a bunch of 70s hockey, so it's something. A small something, as I only got one Gretzky, but something nonetheless.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:35 PM
Gobucsmagic74

The time to buy it is when you see it. Buy the rare caramel Cobb when it comes up and fund it with something you can replace later

Everything is for sale at the right price

If you have to sell something, try to sell it to a fellow collector. There's many reasons for this but it comes in handy if you ever really want the card back!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
I found out that I have the perfect collector personality to be an auctioneer. It turns out I'm completely cool with getting to say "We had that" as opposed to saying "I have that." That started when I was a dealer but became more important as an auctioneer, and it made the transition fairly easy.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Plastics...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-06-2021, 02:40 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Plastics...
This is SO funny in many ways!

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 04-06-2021, 03:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Short rant:
I have to say with the number of people talking about the 'divisible by 9' binder page thing here...how in heck wasn't that always blatantly obvious?????????? I mean, c'mon!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And some advice for the many, many people who take this stuff way too seriously

Or not...
Old 04-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

The best Hobby advice I ever received was - Get a second opinion if you're unsure of the purchase. The second best advice I ever received was - If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!
Old 04-06-2021, 04:36 PM
Jimmy

Have fun and enjoy! Buy at least one Ruth, Mantle, Jackie Robinson and Ted Williams card for your collection - oh wait Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Lou Gehrig and many more! do you have any more money? - how about a Joe DiMaggio

Do not get too involved and buy what you like!

Shows are the best and traveling to shows with friends and family is even better - soon we will have more shows. The stories in between are a lot of fun too!

Happy Collecting!

Old 04-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Mξηhζ£ ίφw£ί₯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Plastics...
Okay Sam Wainwright. (got the character name wrong at first)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 04-06-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 PM

No one but myself gave me this advice, but I would like to share it.

The only slabs that collectors should care about are the slabs of gum that used to come in packs of Topps cards.

Brian
Old 04-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Patrick N.

Default No Deal

Your best deal may be "no deal". Be willing to walk away more often than not my answer is "no". Time is $. What is the opportunity cost?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:09 PM

Buy the best card, of the best player, in the best condition, you can.

-Scott Levy
Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Buy Ruth!!! Thanks Joe T!

Also buy only centered cards!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Your best deal may be "no deal". Be willing to walk away more often than not my answer is "no". Time is $. What is the opportunity cost?
Mine is similar - "You'll get better deals if the seller knows that you are willing to walk away."

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Frank Wakefield

When you're the winning high bidder at an auction, you can be certain that you were paying more than every other person interested in the item.

Acquire two of everything, then you'll have one to trade.

Know what you're buying, know the cards; do not trust the grading companies.

Collect the cards, not the slabs.

When buying 1952 Topps as a kid, I'd have made more money if I'd thrown the cards away and safely kept the wrappers and sold those now, rather than have kept the cards and discarded the wrappers. (I paraphrase what and older collector told me about buying 52 Topps, wasn't around then.)

When working on a set, if you buy a filler card that you're not happy with, you'll end up buying that card twice. (I can remember this, but I've disregarded it a few times, so that I experienced negative reinforcement when I ended up buying a better version of the card.)

It's a hobby, it's just cardboard; it's not an investment.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 04-09-2021 at 08:37 PM. Reason: edited because I posted before I finished...
Old 04-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

collectibles only sell if someone thinks it’s a good deal
Old 04-10-2021, 07:25 AM
Ben North

Never send a card in a PWE with a thick piece(s) of cardboard. The cardboard greatly increases the chance of the card getting damaged and the buyer getting their card with postage due.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

Random, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot - but here is what comes to the top of my head:

1. Don't have regrets. Most of us have sold some cards that we have at least some level of passive regret over at some point in time later. But at least in my case, the funds from those sales allowed me to buy other cards I had wanted that I didn't have before. It's all about the fun and the experience - and remember our one ride on this merry go-round is kind of short when you look at the big picture. Enjoy your cards and don't focus on mistakes with your collection. As the late Dr. Richard Carlson once said, "Remember, every hundred years? All new people!" Don't spend more time than you have to in that window regretting things you can no longer change.

2. If you are more of a collector than an investor or speculator in cards, know that third party grading services have extremely limited utility. Basically, they are useful if you are buying a card online, sight-unseen, and want peace of mind that the "EX" card you just bought doesn't have a glaring, hidden crease. But if you are mainly doing PC and don't sell a lot of cards, once that slab arrives in your mailbox, the look of the card isn't going to change no matter the grade on the flip. So, (unlike me in the past...) don't get caught up with why this card only got a 6 when you thought it was a strong 7, or why that card you were sure was a 5 only got a 3.5 from PSA. That is the head game that ALL TPG's want collectors to buy into to keep them submitting and re-submitting cards ad nauseum until the end of time. Are you pleased with how the card LOOKS, and how it fits in your collection? If not, then upgrade. If you are, then realize that for whims, days of the week, the weather, what grader you did or did not get - that you could likely resubmit the same card over and over again and rarely get the exact same grade every time. Grading that is at all related to eye appeal is subjective, and always will be. No matter how many computers or HGA grading companies enter the picture.

3. Don't get caught up in trying to "Keep up with the Joneses" in terms of your collection and how bad@ss you think it is or is not and how that in turn makes you come off in groups like this one as a collector. With extremely scarce exceptions, somebody somewhere has a better collection than you do. All of you. And in turn, your collection also blows somebody's (and likely a lot of somebody's...) away too. Collect what makes you happy, and don't make it a competition with everything you see on message boards, on YouTube, or anywhere else you discuss the hobby with other people.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-11-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:23 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

3. Don't get caught up in trying to "Keep up with the Joneses" in terms of your collection and how bad@ss you think it is or is not and how that in turn makes you come off in groups like this one as a collector. With extremely scarce exceptions, somebody somewhere has a better collection than you do. All of you. And in turn, your collection also blows somebody's (and likely a lot of somebody's...) away too. Collect what makes you happy, and don't make it a competition with everything you see on message boards, on YouTube, or anywhere else you discuss the hobby with other people

+100. Can't stress how important this is. I owned a Blues club for 25 years and one quote I'll always remember was from George "Harmonica" Smith when he would invite the young guys up on stage to play. He'd say "Man, do your thing, just do your thing". Same thing with collecting, "Man, just do your thing".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-12-2021, 04:26 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Okay Sam Wainwright. (got the character name wrong at first)
Pop culture tip: whenever someone just says "Plastics" it's a Graduate reference, not It's a Wonderful Life.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:56 AM

Many have already been said but:

Collect what you like
Buy the card, not the holder
If investing: buy the best card you can in the best condition you can
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Advice

Never advise fellow collectors of your true collection needs. The prices then sky rocket.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Forget all the damned money and political crap in the big drama show threads and post cards. Lots of cards.

And like Honus said, don't use tobacco.

Or not...
Old 04-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
Never advise fellow collectors of your true collection needs. The prices then sky rocket.
Learned this one the hard way more than once. Especially if it is a high end card in a specific condition.

Another is the "make me an offer" seller. No matter how good your offer is the seller will ask for more because you are showing interest.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Learned this one the hard way more than once. Especially if it is a high end card in a specific condition.

Another is the "make me an offer" seller. No matter how good your offer is the seller will ask for more because you are showing interest.

Dont make a WTB post either!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Best hobby advice? Buy the card....not the holder.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Dont make a WTB post either!
Very true, I have 2 rare cards that I buy every one I see so I don't even mention I collect those 2 cards.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:40 PM

Make sure to frequently post really beat up cards, because then it will make everyone else feel better about the cards they own.

Brian (once again my advice...no one would ever advise me to do this)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-13-2021 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added frequently to bolster my firm stance on this position
Old 04-13-2021, 07:00 PM
Rich Klein

Really good one I just saw

See a deal, buy the deal. Once you haggle, you open up for the seller to be aware.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-13-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 PM

So many great statements -- but mine are quite similar: (I started collecting in 1957 and became a "dealer" in 1976 and I did start advertising items for sale by 1964 --wish I had those items back today):

1 -- Buy what you like -- if you get stuck with it, you still own something you like. So I do have about a 1,000 beanies but they are all Disney or Warners, so guess what, I still like them -- all of my Mickeys and other comic characters.

2 -- Just like the stock market, don't put all of your money into one stock/player. I might make an exception for Ruth, Mantle and many similar players.

3-- Focus on the "keys" that you can afford. Besides sports, I did the same in non sports and comic books. While non sports has cooled down, there are some keys and comic books that I literally have hundreds of or more.

4 -- Negotiate with everyone for a better price. It can't hurt to try and all they can do is say no. Yes, that can turn them off, so you buy something else.

5 -- When I started selling in 1976, it was for me a clear end to most of my collecting but it did not stop me from investing in "quality" and often "quantity". It's tough to sell at shows almost every weekend in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990's, and continue collecting when you were buying collections 5 to ten times a week. Those acquisitions were next weeks sales.

6 -- Have a mind of your own and don't always follow the trends. For me it has always been to figure out the next hot item, buy a ton of it and wait for the market to catch up. Not sure that would work now, but look at the last year!!

Steve
Old 04-14-2021, 01:24 AM
Bob Davies

Best advice I received has been mentioned earlier:
If you see something you want for sale, buy it as it will disappear. I've picked up some really nice pieces, and have missed on things I will never see again by not following through with the purchase.

Best advice I have given:
If a seller makes an offer and the buyer doesn't take it, it's OK. If a seller makes an offer and the buyer doesn't take it, it's OK.
Both have the right to do so, without the other taking offense. At the end, both of you walk away happy. A deal not made is not personal.
We are not selling a kidney here.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
We are not selling a kidney here.
Graded or raw?

Or not...
Old 04-14-2021, 09:44 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Get to the mailbox before the wife.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Get to the mailbox before the wife.
Better yet, have your purchases sent to your office.

Or not...
Old 04-14-2021, 09:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

A little voice in my head (which is much louder now): Now is NOT the time to buy!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente