NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2020, 10:01 PM
Michael Fried

Default Updated list of zeenut cards with coupons we have scans of

I've just updated the list in Post #27 (that's in Post #27, not #22) above to show all of the scans we now have. Please see the new comments about the 1933 Sepia variations that occur only in the coupons.

Please post any image of a Zeenut card with a coupon that is not on the list. While we are approaching 200 different, there are still plenty to go.

Thanks from all of us working on this project.

If there is a problem with just updating the prior post at Post #27, let me know and I try to work something else out. I just thought that with new scans coming in almost every day that to repost the list too frequently might waste space in this thread.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 10-02-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
I've just updated the list in Post #27 (that's in Post #27, not #22) above to show all of the scans we now have. Please see the new comments about the 1933 Sepia variations that occur only in the coupons.
I've been thinking about the coupon varieties of the 1933 Sepia Zeenuts. While perhaps there are at least two or three different coupons to go with each player, so far all of the pictures of a player seem to be the same, i.e. not with different poses or other variations. And I believe that is consistent with the historical record of these Sepia cards.

Much detailed work goes into distinguishing the different 1933 Sepia coupons of the same player from the scans. Often the scans are not of high enough resolution to make a clear distinction as to whether a line in a coupon is printed only in Sepia or only in Black ink or whether it is a combination of one printed on top of the other.

Few of us have any problems identifying a 1933 Sepia card from just looking at its picture. Being Sepia places its year of issue as 1933. Most people don't have even a single Sepia card with a coupon, but they sure can have 1933 Sepia cards without coupons. The ink color variations occur only in the coupons and not on the player's picture and have no impact on identifying the card. It's either a Sepia or it's not.

We still need pictures of each of the 1933 Sepia cards with a coupon for two reasons. The many out there with Sepia cards without coupons can then clearly identify the player and the coupon will clearly establish the card as a 1933 issue (the coupon's last line states: "This offer expires on April 1st 1934").

I think that overburdening the List and subsequent Picture Presentation of Zeenuts with Coupons with too much detail about each color ink variation in the 1933 Sepia Zeenuts would have deleterious effect on our current project. Here, our purpose includes establishing the actual year of issue of each of the different varieties of pictures found on Zeenuts cards issued from 1933 through 1938. Thereby, the very many Zeenut cards out there without coupons can be identified as to which year they were actually issued by Zeenut.

So, I think I should revise the List of Post #27 above to show only that we have a scan of a 1933 Sepia with a coupon with an offer that "expires April 1st 1933" and need scans of the missing players. Of course, any Sepia coupon with any month, day or year other than "April 1st 1933" would be highly prized and we sure would appreciate a scan.

Keep you scans of all cards missing from the list coming. We can complete this project.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Marc S.

Default Billy

Arguably the best catcher to ever play in PCL:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935Raimondi.jpg (43.7 KB, 468 views)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Arguably the best catcher to ever play in PCL:
Until I was 10 (in 1955), I lived in the Oakland district called Montclair. The Raimondi's has the local paint store. His brother's name was Phil. In the 1980's, I set up at a monthly flea market at Chabot College in Hayward (a couple of cities away from Oakland). A baseball card collector came by wanting to trade for a "hot" rookie card I had.

What did he have to offer? A bunch of stuff, but the thing that caught my eye (and he could have had everything I had brought with me for it) was an inscribed silver lighter given Phil Raimondi at the end of the 1948 season by the Oakland Oaks in appreciation for him working in the family store for so many years so his brother could play baseball.

Oakland won the Pacific Coast League championship that year under manager, Casey Stengel. Take a look at the players on the 1948 team at https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...gi?id=db772f44

I asked the Raimondi's about the lighter. They said they had thrown it away because Phil was a heavy smoker and had died of lung cancer.

When I dig it out, I'll post a scan. Philliesphan, you are lucky. I've been looking for a Billy Raimondi Zeenut card with a coupon but haven't found one yet.

Mike
Old 10-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Marc S.

Love that story, Mike, thank you!
Old 10-03-2020, 12:23 AM
Michael Fried

Default Post more scans of 1933-37 Zeenuts with Coupons,

Hey Mark Macrae ( oaks1912 ) or Anybody!

Help our project and post the fronts of Zeenuts cards with coupons not on our list above at Post #27. We're looking only for those with coupons that have offer expiry dates of April 1st 1934, April 1st 1935, April 1st 1936, Oct 1st 1936 or Oct 30th 1937.

You'll get credit for your posting as we will put your member's name next to the cards as we add them to our list. Help us all out.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 10-03-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
Hey Mark Macrae ( oaks1912 ) or Anybody!

Help our project and post the fronts of Zeenuts cards with coupons not on our list above at Post #27. We're looking only for those with coupons that have offer expiry dates of April 1st 1934, April 1st 1935, April 1st 1936, Oct 1st 1936 or Oct 30th 1937.

You'll get credit for your posting as we will put your member's name next to the cards as we add them to our list. Help us all out.

Thanks,

Mike
I used to have one of each year with coupon but that was long ago. Hopefully some (more) friendly members will help out. Good luck....