NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Connie Mack vs Walter Johnson Game Used Baseball

How's that for a match-up of managers?!!!

2 HOFers going head to head. After looking into I never knew Walter Johnson was such a good manager, and mind you he had some pretty tough Yankee & Athletics teams to compete against, and he still put up a nice 529 Wins vs 432 Losses over 7 years as a manager. And while it pales to Connie Mack's 53 YEARS AS A MANAGER!!!!!! - that is just insane! 3731 Wins 3948 Losses, Johnson actually had a better win percentage : )

And he beat him on this August day in 1933:

Cleveland Indians 15
Philadelphia Athletic 4

Game used ball in which Cleveland HOFer Earl Averill (CF) hit for the CYCLE!!! Was this ball one of his hits? Could very well be, pretty neat.

Other HOFers in the game who may have hit, caught or tossed this ball were Jimmie Foxx and Mickey Cochrane.

The ball is a beauty with the somewhat rarer red and blue seams with the Presidential Stamping of William Harridge because they went to all Red stitching in 1934.

It comes is from the personal collection of pitcher Monte Pearson. Pearson was the winning pitcher in that game and inscribed the ball as seen.

The ball was given to a baseball coach in Madera, CA by Pearson's son. It is all explained in the LOA included.

Sold in the BST
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cm1.jpg (67.8 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg cm2.jpg (68.1 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg cm3.jpg (66.2 KB, 718 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-02-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Chris

Love your finds. I was a bidder on that 1927 Yankees ball but had to bow out early. My two highlights are game used balls from game 6 and 7 of the 1952 World Series. My completely wild speculation with no supporting evidence whatsoever is that they were both Mantle home runs—most likely just foul balls or toss ups though.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:28 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Those baseballs are great!! I like collecting game used baseballs as well, unfortunately my collection is in storage due to having another child a few years ago and losing my memorabilia room to a nursery.

Some of the ones I can think of off top of my head are:

Phil Niekro 300th win and 250th win and 3rd Career win
Lee Smith 300 career save
Jim Abbott No Hitter
Opening day 1959 Red Sox vs Yankees from Bob Turley collection
Kevin Brown No Hitter

Last edited by parker1b2; 08-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:22 PM
Ron V

Great baseballs. I wish I would of just bought that Simmons ball. Anyways here is a ball from what I believe could be from Game 3 of the 1926 World Series. As you can see the score is 4-0 and has (although hard to see) New York Yankees vs St. Louis Cardinals. The ball has the Yankees lineup and Yankee pitchers on the one panel. It also has the Cardinals players on there running down the sweet spot. I would love to see where this ball has been and who could held/hit this ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5853.jpg (71.2 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5854.jpg (72.8 KB, 681 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5855.jpg (69.2 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5856.jpg (70.1 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5857.jpg (72.7 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5858.jpg (71.2 KB, 677 views)
Old 08-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
Great baseballs. I wish I would of just bought that Simmons ball. Anyways here is a ball from what I believe could be from Game 3 of the 1926 World Series. As you can see the score is 4-0 and has (although hard to see) New York Yankees vs St. Louis Cardinals. The ball has the Yankees lineup and Yankee pitchers on the one panel. It also has the Cardinals players on there running down the sweet spot. I would love to see where this ball has been and who could held/hit this ball.
Ron that ball is AWESOME. 1926 had to be in the Top 10 for Greatest World Series of All Time. If not #1. Lil Johnny Sylvester in the hospital game Babe hits 3 HRs in a game for him. The Grover Cleveland Alexander story in games 6 & 7. Lazzeri K'ing with the bases loaded. Ruth getting caught stealing to end Game 7. Cardinals - Yankees, two of the most storied franchises in history, it had it all!! Have you put that ball under a UV light to see if you can make everything out, might tell you more. But just to imagine who hit it, who caught it, who pitched it, just awesome to think about!

Also, what is cool about your ball is that was Gehrig's 1st Road WS Game. So just thinking of Lou and boys on the train to St Louis, and him stepping on to his first NL Park (Sportmans) running out to first base. Love game used balls!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-02-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Brendan Mullen

“Used by Cleveland and New York 6-12-20”. What is cool is that this was Ruth’s first year as a Yankee. Went 0-3 with a run scored and committed an error in the field. Also, Ray Chapman had 2 hits and Tris Speaker had a hit and an RBI as well. A couple of months later Chapman would die on the field. Pretty neat to think that Ruth and Speaker and Chapman all held this ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6A470FA-6067-4790-A055-91B0F8643216.jpg (16.6 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by Bpm0014; 08-04-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Love your finds. I was a bidder on that 1927 Yankees ball but had to bow out early. My two highlights are game used balls from game 6 and 7 of the 1952 World Series. My completely wild speculation with no supporting evidence whatsoever is that they were both Mantle home runs—most likely just foul balls or toss ups though.
Chris I may have sold you one of those '52 WS Balls, they were nice, can you post pix of all panels?

Also I had a Ruth HR ball but it was from a barnstorming game and the signature was traced over, so the value got shot......still went for 2-3K at auction, but a Mantle or Ruth HR ball go for silly money these days.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
How's that for a match-up of managers?!!!

2 HOFers going head to head. After looking into I never knew Walter Johnson was such a good manager, and mind you he had some pretty tough Yankee & Athletics teams to compete against, and he still put up a nice 529 Wins vs 432 Losses over 7 years as a manager. And while it pales to Connie Mack's 53 YEARS AS A MANAGER!!!!!! - that is just insane! 3731 Wins 3948 Losses, Johnson actually had a better win percentage : )

And he beat him on this August day in 1933:

Cleveland Indians 15
Philadelphia Athletic 4

Game used ball in which Cleveland HOFer Earl Averill (CF) hit for the CYCLE!!! Was this ball one of his hits? Could very well be, pretty neat.

Other HOFers in the game who may have hit, caught or tossed this ball were Jimmie Foxx and Mickey Cochrane.

The ball is a beauty with the somewhat rarer red and blue seams with the Presidential Stamping of William Harridge because they went to all Red stitching in 1934.

It comes is from the personal collection of pitcher Monte Pearson. Pearson was the winning pitcher in that game and inscribed the ball as seen.

The ball was given to a baseball coach in Madera, CA by Pearson's son. It is all explained in the LOA included.

Sold in the BST
Oh wow! Just came across this thread. I have the lineup cards from this exact game!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 PM
Jeff Lazarus

In 1945, with a large percentage of the best players drafted, the Navy held a best-of-7 All-Star series. Players included Stan Musial, Ted Williams and many other stars.

This baseball was the final pitch of the clinching game. Signed by members of the team including Musial and one of the rarest signatures amongst MLBers of the 40's Wimpy Quinn. Came from the personal collection of catcher Bob Scheffing.

Inscribed: "Last ball pitched in Navy League "National (4) American (3) Oct. 6, 1945
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 1.jpg (14.7 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 2.jpg (12.6 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 3.jpg (13.9 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 4.jpg (14.4 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 5.jpg (14.5 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 6.jpg (13.8 KB, 482 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-13-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Oh wow! Just came across this thread. I have the lineup cards from this exact game!
Unbelievable & very cool!
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 AM
Scott

I have never had a ball anything like these. Fantastic historic pieces!!!
Old 08-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Joe, hope you don't mind but I have to post your Greenberg ground rule double here. Another killer ball.

Hank hit this ball into the deep CF bleachers, sounds like on a hop, and into the fan's, who's names are listed on the ball, hands.

This also was his first HR game of his first MVP season, in which the Tigers won their first WS Title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green1.jpg (48.9 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg Green2.jpg (47.4 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg Green3.jpg (49.0 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg Hank7.jpg (20.2 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg Hank8.jpg (21.5 KB, 427 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-15-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:26 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Shoeless Joe Jackson Black Sox Babe Ruth

So found this one and sent it to Goldin in case any one is interested, bidding currently is waaaaaaay low, in my opinion, thought it would get to 2K easily, we'll see, go get yourself a steal and a historic ball if it stays this crazy low:

https://goldinauctions.com/1920_New_...-LOT66310.aspx

So what appears to be just a ground rule double off the bat of John "Shano" Collins of the White Sox in a Sept 18, 1920 game, so what's so significant about that?.....

Well.....

On September 18, 1920 in a highly anticipated match-up between the New York Yankees and the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park, no one there would know this would be last ever meeting of 2 of baseballs greatest titans.

Also, just 8 Games later Shoeless Joe Jackson and the other Black Sox, comprising the “8 Men Out”, would never play another game, as they were suspended from playing baseball for their alleged role in the 1919 World Series.

Babe Ruth, who in his first year with the Yanks with his new MLB record of 49 Home Runs in a season, strolled into Chicago as the packed house hoped to see Ruth hit the prior unimaginable #50. Little did they know they were witnessing something of even greater significance that day. Ruth & Jackson’s final meeting.

7 of the 8 Black Sox were there that day. Gandil, who they say took the majority of the dirty money, had retired after the 1919 Series so he didn’t play in 1920. With only Lefty Williams on the bench the other 6 all played on this September day with Eddie Cicotte on the mound. Was this ball pitched by Cicotte at some point? Possibly.

The Ball which is marked September 18, although while it may look like 17 to the naked eye, under magnifying glass the tight loop can be seen on the lower half of the 8. The mention of Yankees pitcher Bob McGraw & the John “Shano” Collins Double also confirm it was the 18th as that was the only game in the 3 game series Collins hit a double of McGraw. Of note Shoeless Joe Jackson was intentionally walked prior to Collins double so it’s quite possible this was the very ball pitched to Shoeless. The ball definitely then hit by Collins, most likely a ground rule double, as that would explain the balls notation and make sense that’s how this lucky fan obtained the ball, thus Shoeless Joe was driven in with this very ball.

The White Sox would go on to handily defeat the Yankees 15-9. Ruth would go 1 for 4 with a walk, and the fans did not get to see him hit #50 on that day. But again what they saw was of even greater note, as Ruth and Jackson would never meet again on the same ball field. The 8 men out would only play 8 more games and then they were gone from baseball for good! So this ball is quite possibly the latest existing ball from Shoeless Joe Jackson’s career!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920a.jpg (13.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg 1920b.jpg (13.3 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (12.2 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg 1920c.jpg (9.9 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-27-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Default Game used baseballs

I have one I recently acquired. Attached are pics that match up to this ball.