NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2020, 11:02 PM
Matthew

I’ve been tracking sgc/PSA Goudey Ruth’s in 2-4 and I think I’ve been priced out of the market. A decent looking #144 sgc 2 went for $1100 more today than it did 2.5 months ago (exact same card) for a 30% bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
I’ve been tracking sgc/PSA Goudey Ruth’s in 2-4 and I think I’ve been priced out of the market. A decent looking #144 sgc 2 went for $1100 more today than it did 2.5 months ago (exact same card) for a 30% bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel for you. In 2014 I was 4 cards away from finishing my ‘33G set...all 4 Ruths. It was the centennial of his rookie year and several people whose opinion I trust told me that his cards were inflated and to wait a year or two and they would come back down. Man I’m glad I didn’t listen to them. I scraped up every penny I could and bought all 4 that summer....they’ve just about tripled since then and there’s no way I could afford them now. Even the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while. But i know the shitty feeling of watching a card you want just sail away into the sunset.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:43 PM
John Donovan

Well, you all are welcome in advance, because I likely just popped the vintage bubble.

I've never spent more than $600 on a single baseball card before, but I've been slowly saving over the last couple years to buy a mid grade 1952 Bowman Mantle. I finally gathered what I thought was enough money recently, only to see midgrade (PSA and SGC 5's and 6's) 1952 Bowman Mantles are spiking right now.

So I had to decide if I should wait for them to come back down...or just go all in right now in case they keep going up and never come back to pre-quarantine prices.

So I bought an SGC 6 today.

And because of how my life works, I fully expect the market for 1952 Bowman Mantles to drop quickly and precipitously....starting today.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:24 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Well, you all are welcome in advance, because I likely just popped the vintage bubble.

I've never spent more than $600 on a single baseball card before, but I've been slowly saving over the last couple years to buy a mid grade 1952 Bowman Mantle. I finally gathered what I thought was enough money recently, only to see midgrade (PSA and SGC 5's and 6's) 1952 Bowman Mantles are spiking right now.

So I had to decide if I should wait for them to come back down...or just go all in right now in case they keep going up and never come back to pre-quarantine prices.

And because of how my life works, I fully expect the market for 1952 Bowman Mantles to drop quickly and precipitously....starting today.
Congrats on pulling the trigger! I regret the things i didn’t buy infinitely more than the things i did. The way I see it, only one of 3 things can happen...1) it goes down (but you still have a sweet card 2) it stays the same (all good) or 3) it goes up....icing on the cake. Even the worst of the 3 doesn’t seem so bad for something that brings joy to your life.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:38 PM
James M.

I think it also has to deal with so many people coming back to the hobby, because there's not much to do but return to old hobbies, or start new ones. I pulled the Trigger on a 53 Bowman Color Mantle, for a little more than I would normally be comfortable with but, what's the worst that could happen? It goes down? I'm probably not going to sell it regardless.

I think Card's return to somewhat normal levels, once everyone's back to work in a somewhat normal capacity. I think post vaccine, it should be fine. I'll probably hold off on making any more super major purchases but there are always exceptions to the rule, so you never know.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Congrats on pulling the trigger! I regret the things i didn’t buy infinitely more than the things i did. The way I see it, only one of 3 things can happen...1) it goes down (but you still have a sweet card 2) it stays the same (all good) or 3) it goes up....icing on the cake. Even the worst of the 3 doesn’t seem so bad for something that brings joy to your life.
Yes, I agree with your three possibilities which is why I ultimately pulled the trigger. I bought the card to keep and enjoy, not to flip for a profit. So even if it decreases in value, it will still be the cornerstone of my humble collection.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:13 PM

Default Most valuable card

Last edited by Jdoggs; 06-25-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:14 PM

For those of you who have been collecting for a while do you find the higher prices are bringing nicer vintage cards to market, or do you find the available cards to be fairly comparable to what is normally on offer?
Old 06-23-2020, 04:16 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post

Thanks a lot John. Now my 1952 Mantle is sure to drop in value!
Old 06-23-2020, 04:31 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Thanks a lot John. Now my 1952 Mantle is sure to drop in value!
Haha, yes. I truly apologize.