NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Ok, so if there were 50 people who were in the bidding for this item, and 10 of them thought the card was real, and the other 40 thought it was a likely fake, it would end up getting to the same amount?
You're equating the number of bidders with the final bid amount. That's not how it works. It only takes 2 bidders to drive the price of the card (or any other item) up.

We'll just have to disagree. But let's revisit this thread in a couple days and see the hammer price.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It is apples to oranges now. The cards are now presumed real by a wider swath of the community.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
You're equating the number of bidders with the final bid amount. That's not how it works. It only takes 2 bidders to drive the price of the card (or any other item) up.
Point proven.

Here is a PSA 3 that recently sold for $1476.01. It had 33 bids by 22 unique bidders.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

Here is the card that is the subject. It sold for $1534.74. It had 8 bids by only 2 unique bidders, yet it sold for more than the PSA 3.

More bidders doesn't mean squat.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The raw one that is the subject had a better story and publicity.

Anyone can find sales to fit their analysis needs. If I want to and take long enough I am sure I could find some counter-examples. There is a reason almost all higher end cards are graded when sold. Generally speaking they bring more money. But that is only my, and most other AH's and collectors, opinions. There are always anomalies too. And lastly, I am well aware that sometimes a card can sell for more raw as someone might think it's a higher technical grade than it is and pay for that grade . So in those cases selling raw is better. This might be one of those exceptional cases. I can agree with that. But all of the other cards too......I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Point proven.

Here is a PSA 3 that recently sold for $1476.01. It had 33 bids by 22 unique bidders.

Here is the card that is the subject. It sold for $1534.74. It had 8 bids by only 2 unique bidders, yet it sold for more than the PSA 3.

More bidders doesn't mean squat.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The raw one that is the subject had a better story and publicity.

Anyone can find sales to fit their analysis needs. If I want to and take long enough I am sure I could find some counter-examples. There is a reason almost all higher end cards are graded when sold. Generally speaking they bring more money. But that is only my, and most other AH's and collectors, opinions. There are always anomalies too. And lastly, I am well aware that sometimes a card can sell for more raw as someone might think it's a higher technical grade than it is and pay for that grade . So in those cases selling raw is better. This might be one of those exceptional cases. I can agree with that. But all of the other cards too......I doubt it.
it may have had better publicity, but that didn't help the number of bidders. It still had only 2 bidders. And, in fact, I would be willing to bet those two bidders are not even board members. I say that because at the time of their initial bids (according to the time stamps), the consensus was that the card was a fake.

And I didn't have to look too hard to find sales to fit my analysis. I simply took the last completed sale of a PSA 3. We could probably go back to the last 3, 4, 5 sales of this card in a PSA 3 and the data would be consistent.

My opinion that grading doesn't impact the final sale price is only for lower to lower/mid grade cards. I agree that mid grade cards and up should be graded to maximize the sale.

Tags
american caramel, cy young, e90-1