NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Jay Cee

Without a doubt I agree with Leon on that auctions should end on a per lot basis. This allows a bidding war on each lot and a known time when to login in and bid to win. Such a clear advantage to Westcoast bidders on auctions that stay open past 1AM. I wish every auction would follow Heritage, Hunt, and Huggins and Scott (that come to mind) that close on a per lot basis. Im thankfull that auctions use computors now compared to the ole chalkboards where you had to phone in your bid and they would update the "big board".
Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Without a doubt I agree with Leon on that auctions should end on a per lot basis. This allows a bidding war on each lot and a known time when to login in and bid to win. Such a clear advantage to Westcoast bidders on auctions that stay open past 1AM. I wish every auction would follow Heritage, Hunt, and Huggins and Scott (that come to mind) that close on a per lot basis. Im thankfull that auctions use computors now compared to the ole chalkboards where you had to phone in your bid and they would update the "big board".
JC, if you do not mind me asking, if you were consigning, how would you want the auction to end?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
JC, if you do not mind me asking, if you were consigning, how would you want the auction to end?

Without a doubt the way I mentioned above. Each lot closes when no bids come in on "that" lot for 15,20, or 30 minutes.

I think Dave did an excellent job explaining the drawback too for auctions ending on a per lot basis. However, I think Leon benefited from it overall as it allowed bidding wars on 100s of lots as it forced people to bid or lose out. I will also add that I lost out on the Pinkerton Cobb cabinet as I thought it would be bid upon at least once in the extra time which it was not. I didnt want to commit to 20k that early. However, by that format I was able to win more lots I believe and place more bids. Fell a little short as the under bidder on the Shapiro Cobb, but had fun bidding on it and then it turned my interest to a couple other lots.

Ebay used to be popular for auctions and the main reason was it had a firm end time and bidders knew when to come in and bid (mainly snipers). Id rather have three interested bidders fighting for a lot than one bidder who stayed up till 4am to be. Rewarded with his choice of the auction.

Last edited by BeanTown; 10-24-2015 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Rob

Default auction format

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Mine would be REA's mailing list and Saco River's traditional auction format.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:56 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Mine would be REA's mailing list and Saco River's traditional auction format.

I don't know how Saco River closes?? Never bid with them. Ive been told that most auction houses have pretty close to the same mailing list (within a small percentage). Heritage might have the best mailing list with all the cross overs from coins, artwork, stamps, comics, antiques, etc.. REA seems to have some great consignments of years past.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Rob

JC, Saco River closes like Heritage's art auctions where each item goes to the block 1 at a time. I said "REA" b/c they say they send a catalog to anyone who has ever bid in their auctions. I am a fan of REA and Heritage.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default auctions

I was involved in an online/live sports auction yesterday. There were about 650 lots. You could bid through the website several days before the live auction started and there was plenty of time to look at each lot before the auction began.

Then, when the live auction started, the lots came up 1 at a time. I had early online bids on 27 lots and spent a large portion of the day on my computer waiting for my lots to come up so I could increase my bids if I wanted to. The bidding was quick and easy and the auction moved quickly.

The nice thing is that I wasn't tied to the auction all day. I could estimate when my next lot was coming up, run an errand or two, or list a couple of things on eBay. I ended up listing over 50 items on ebay during the course of the auction.

The other nice thing is that I didn't have to stay up late. The live auction started at 10:30 am central and ended at around 430 pm.

This was my favorite out of all of the auction formats. The auction company wouldn't even need to have a "live" auction with bidders on site. It could be an internet only auction with live computer bidding with lots coming up one at a time.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 10-25-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:35 AM
Paul

The live auction format is tough. When all those Doc Steen signed M101-2s were up for auction, I had a fixed budget. All the lower value ones came up first, and I couldn't let them pass at $150-$250 each. By the time the big ones came up, I was out of cash and didn't bid. I wasn't gonna miss out on the lower value ones to risk getting shut out on the big value ones.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206