NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Gray Tint/ Green Tint

While it may be true that the listed 24 cards are available in gray, it is not exclusive; they appear to be available in both colors. I have numerous examples of the listed cards in both colors.

Steen, Portland
Murray, Portland
Hoffman, Oakland
Tiedman, Oakland
Wolverton, Oakland
Danzig, Sacramento
Berry, Sacramento
Sutor, Sacramento

Scans too big to post.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Gray/Green fever

Thanks Yomass for resurrecting an interesting post by interesting original poster (hey, that's me!). I would love to see scans of the card tint variations you have, either if you find a way to reduce the size and post here or you can send them to me by email. My tint theory was based upon my collection gathered from multiple sources over the years, but definitely it can be demolished if need be. Perhaps some or all of the gray tints can also be found in green. It would be interesting to find out if there are more than the 24 gray tinted cards I listed...so far no contradicting info on that account.

Thanks again for dragging this post back up...it reminds me how intelligent I seemed a year and half ago.

Brian
Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 AM

Default more

I received a heads up from another Brian (thanks!) about this great website www.sportingoregon.com which was noted before on this forum but is worth checking out for all the cool photos and cards of Portland baseball. It shows all 12 Portland D310 cards, and includes images of Chadbourne in both Green and Gray tints. This info, along with yomass's (Richard?) list of cards posted below

Steen, Portland
Murray, Portland
Hoffman, Oakland
Tiedman, Oakland
Wolverton, Oakland
Danzig, Sacramento
Berry, Sacramento (This should be San Francisco)
Sutor, Sacramento (This should be San Francisco)

that he has in both tints (all of which are players on my original gray only list), as well as Leon's green Ryan as shown in a previous post and Mark M's Mohler, that my evolving theory can be stated as such:

The D310's were probably printed in sheets of 24, probably in different runs, all cards can be found in green, and only the 24 cards listed in the original post can be found in gray.

Now the challenge is to show us one of those 24 gray only cards with a green tint so that a hole can be blown clean through my high falutin' theories.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-15-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Made it more Portlandy, and corrected to indicate all 12 Portland D310 cards are shown on the sportingoregon site
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Now the challenge is to show us one of those 24 gray only cards with a green tint so that a hole can be blown clean through my high falutin' theories.

Brian

That site of the other Brian's is fantastic.

As for your theory, don't feel like the lone stranger. It happens all of the time with other theories and is a lot of what keeps this hobby fun. I mean really, how many new things can we come up with for hundred year old cards? Great thread too!!
Old 06-28-2019, 08:52 AM

Interesting to see the evolution of a theory and how fellow net54'ers helped shape and change it.

Brian
Old 06-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Interesting to see the evolution of a theory and how fellow net54'ers helped shape and change it.

Brian
The D310s seem to have waned a little in popularity. But there are still some neat cards in the set. And yes, camaraderie is still a plus for the site and the hobby.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:30 AM

Default Updated Theory

Updated theory! Thanks to the final pieces of tint availability provided by fellow member edjs, I have been able to confirm the identity of 12 cards that were issued in both gray and green tints. The pattern is fairly distinct, 3 cards from each of 4 teams (San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, and Sacramento) are available in both tints. The final two teams, Los Angeles and Vernon, on the right side of the checklist on the back of each card, still are only seen with the green tint.

Here is the list of the 12 known cards that are seen with both green and gray tints:

Sutor, San Francisco
Berry, San Francisco
Mohler, San Francisco
Hoffman, Oakland
Wolverton, Oakland
Tiedman, Oakland
Steen, Portland
Murray, Portland
Chadbourne, Portland
LaLonge, Sacramento
Danzig, Sacramento
Lewis, Sacramento

I have typed out the checklist as seen on the back, and provided tint availability. Hopefully this makes the pattern of tint availability more evident and exposes how it lines up with the back checklist. With the 12 that are known in both tints, I have listed what I believe is the most common tint first. Please let us know if something exists outside this latest theory of mine.

Brian

See post # 34 for updated list!

SAN FRANCISCO

Madden - green
Browning - green
Henley - green
Smith - green
Holland - green
Weaver - green

Tennant - gray
Sutor - gray + green
Vitt - gray
McArdle - gray
Berry - gray + green
Mohler - gray + green

OAKLAND

Mitze - green
Wares - green
Ables - green
Christian - green
Zacher - green
Pernoll - green

Hoffman - gray + green
Cutshaw - gray
Maggart - gray
Wolverton - gray + green
Pyfl - gray
Tiedeman - gray + green

PORTLAND

Kuhn - green
Koestner - green
Seaton - green
Peckinpaugh - green
Sheehan - green
Henderson - green

Steen - gray + green
Ryan - gray
Murray -gray + green
McCredie - gray
Rapps - gray
Chadbourne - gray + green

SACRAMENTO

LaLonge - gray + green
Heister - gray
Danzig - gray + green
Van Buren - gray
Fitzgerald - gray
Lewis - gray + green

O'Rourke - green
Thompson - green
Nourse - green
Byram - green
Baum - green
Arrelanes -green

LOS ANGELES - All players ONLY green

Delmas
Daley
Howard
Bernard
Moore
Akin
Delhi
Dillon
Metzger
Smith
Tozer
Agnew

VERNON - All players ONLY green

Ross
Hogan
Raleigh
McDonnell
Brashear
Gipe
Carlisle
Hosp
Stinson
Patterson
Burrell
Hitt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d310trio243.jpg (81.8 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-02-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added scan