NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I skip over all auction descriptions unless it is something I'm interested in or bidding on.
Comeon, Dan, are you telling me that some nice flowery language describing the 1962 Topps Homerun Kings card in PSA 8 wouldn't get you to bid 30x more than what the card sold for the previous (and subsequent) 21 times?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Comeon, Dan, are you telling me that some nice flowery language describing the 1962 Topps Homerun Kings card in PSA 8 wouldn't get you to bid 30x more than what the card sold for the previous (and subsequent) 21 times?

That's exactly why I don't read them...I'm afraid I'll be hypnotized into spending 30x more than the card is worth.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
That's exactly why I don't read them...I'm afraid I'll be hypnotized into spending 30x more than the card is worth.
Kind of like staring into the sun but instead of going blind your pockets go empty.

Last edited by calvindog; 10-07-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default goudey dizzy dean

You guys suggesting this might have been over the top? NOT.

In the year of the '34 Goudey issue, Dizzy Dean led his "Gashouse Gang" of rough and tough (and dirty) Cardinals to a World Series victory over the Detroit Tigers. Despite a probable concussion suffered in Game 4, he returned to pitch in Games 5 and 7, buoying the hopes of untold fans in all parts of the depression-ravaged country. For his efforts that season (30-7 with a 2.66 ERA), Dean won the MVP award in addition to his World Series ring, hence the popularity of the offered 1934 Goudey card, but the effect he had on fans was infinitely more significant than we could ever imagine today. At the time, the St. Louis club was the southernmost and westernmost club in the major leagues and quickly attracted the adoration of fans from across the plains and down both seaboards. In the midst of the Great Depression, untold numbers of fans identified with the spirit of the team. They weren't always the best, but they hustled and they worked hard; they persevered through the tough times, took pay cuts, and rarely washed their uniforms. They were the antithesis of the slick and rich NY Giants. They were "America's Team," and Diz' their ice-cool ace. His swagger and bravado was second to none. "It ain't braggin' if ya can back it up" was one of his favorite lines, and boy did he mean it... Like the time he bet he could strike out Vince DiMaggio four times in one game. After three strike-outs, DiMaggio hit a pop foul to the catcher, who let it drop on orders from Dean, who gassed the next pitch past an embarrassed DiMaggio and won the bet. Such stories about the famous "Gashouse Gang" abound in MLB lore, but as the generations pass, so, too, does our collective appreciation for players like Dizzy Dean. Of course, a strong bid on the offered Goudey Gum card relic from Dean's MVP season can help to revitalize that appreciation, but don't base your decision strictly on sentimentality. The offered 1934 Goudey example of Dizzy Dean is among the finest we've ever offered. MINT corners at all points but the marginally NM/MT bottom right join sensationally MINT or better edges around a strong MINT obverse with no prominent print imperfections whatsoever to merit just the fourth grade of NM/MT 8 by SGC from 75 submissions. Truly stunning!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Jason Berry

Have to admit the post war sets I work on saw some insane prices in this auction. Good for the consignors I suppose.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default i guess the card couldn't sell itself

The presented 1940 Play Ball example of Ted Williams has been extremely conservatively graded NM/MT 8 by the increasingly demanding graders at PSA. Never before have we ever offered a PSA 8 example of any card from any set with such an obvious abundance of decidedly above-grade features. Well-formed NM/MT+ bottom corners bow to superior MINT+ to GEM MINT top points between indubitably undeviating MINT edges around a sensationally MINT surface that displays a characteristically granular appearance completely devoid of any significantly extraneous print that wouldn't be tolerated on a MINT and perhaps even GEM MINT example. The contrast, that is, the relative difference between the lighter and darker areas of the image, is as strong as the sepia-toned print of the '40 Play Ball issue permits, while the thin lines encompassing Teddy's classic pose, as well as the nostalgic baseball-themed design girding the immaculate nameplate at bottom, show no breaks or skips, as they often do, and boast such tremendous saturation that they in fact appear black to the naked eye. The reverse text is equally as impressive, with noticeably bold registration and no perceivable fading or other common inadequacies indicative of the conservatively opined evaluation. Process of elimination brings us back to the front surface in search of a marginal deficiency responsible for the grade, but I still see no apparent faults, even with a 15x loop, that would exclude this pack-fresh blazer not just from a NM/MT+ 8.5 grade, but from a comfortable and clearly convincing fit in a MINT 9 holder. Is it the top-to-bottom centering? Is it not at least 35/65, the stipulated minimum tolerance for MINT 9? Or am I simply losing my mind after writing too many descriptions today? No, yes, and... probably! But, seriously, friends, any which way you inspect and admire this stimulating 1940 Play Ball example of "The Kid," its admirable condition can be summed up with one simple term, never before so appropriate and true: HIGH END! No, check that. This prized pasteboard is EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH END!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
....extremely conservatively graded NM/MT 8 by the increasingly demanding graders at PSA.....
He said adverbly....