NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We are confirmed to have our Net54baseball Dinner at the National on the Friday of the national. It is across the street from the Convention center and is free for all members. There will be 4-5 speakers (already set), appetizers and an open bar with beer, liquor and soda the whole time. It will start at 730 this year, with more info to come, but if you can make it Friday after the show you will meet a lot of Net54baseball guys and probably have a good time. I will be double fisting Corona's and be the emcee as usual.

As for the national, comfortable shoes, something to write with.....and cash. And for attire, as usual for me it will be T shirts and shorts the whole time. It's baseball cards, have fun!!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We are confirmed to have our Net54baseball Dinner at the National on the Friday of the national. It is across the street from the Convention center and is free for all members. There will be 4-5 speakers (already set), appetizers and an open bar with beer, liquor and soda the whole time. It will start at 730 this year, with more info to come, but if you can make it Friday after the show you will meet a lot of Net54baseball guys and probably have a good time. I will be double fisting Corona's and be the emcee as usual.

As for the national, comfortable shoes, something to write with.....and cash. And for attire, as usual for me it will be T shirts and shorts the whole time. It's baseball cards, have fun!!
Net54baseball dinner sounds like fun, especially the part about double fisting Corona's! Sounds like a classy event so I'll leave my beer helmet at home. Count me and my daughter in!
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Mark

I'll give you my advice as a regular Chicago show attendee and frequent Chicago National show attendee.

Two days is more than enough. depending on what goals you have you could possibly do it in one day.

The National (unlike the regular shows) has more corporate stuff to look at. That's always nice to take time to do. There's also a lot more things going on at individual tables. oftentimes there will be autograph guests at the tables.

As for where to stay, If you're driving I highly recommend finding a hotel room outside the immediate area. There's no need to pay the jacked up rates right there in Rosemont. Drive a couple miles and find a Days Inn. You'll save enough money to spend the next day at the show.

Plan your eating breaks. I've often find I spend the entire day wandering and never stop to eat or drink. That's a challenge.

As for the VIP, never got them, never will. They're a big waste of money to me. Most of the big dealers have already worked over deals with each other so the panic of having to get that extra hour in is pretty false.

If you don't plan frequent trips out to your car I highly suggest parking at the Metro Lot just East of the interstate. It's only $5 to park all day ( I think the ramps charge something like $20) plus they are easy to get in and out of.It's an easy walk to the convention center from there.

Visiting downtowm Chicago is amazing. There's tons to do (I highly recommend Eataly. If you go there you'll see what I mean.) Getting downtown is easy. Just hop on the train at the lot I told you to park at and your in Downtown in just a couple of minutes.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Henry Nich.ols

Bring lot's of money.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I'll give you my advice as a regular Chicago show attendee and frequent Chicago National show attendee.

Two days is more than enough. depending on what goals you have you could possibly do it in one day.

The National (unlike the regular shows) has more corporate stuff to look at. That's always nice to take time to do. There's also a lot more things going on at individual tables. oftentimes there will be autograph guests at the tables.

As for where to stay, If you're driving I highly recommend finding a hotel room outside the immediate area. There's no need to pay the jacked up rates right there in Rosemont. Drive a couple miles and find a Days Inn. You'll save enough money to spend the next day at the show.

Plan your eating breaks. I've often find I spend the entire day wandering and never stop to eat or drink. That's a challenge.

As for the VIP, never got them, never will. They're a big waste of money to me. Most of the big dealers have already worked over deals with each other so the panic of having to get that extra hour in is pretty false.

If you don't plan frequent trips out to your car I highly suggest parking at the Metro Lot just East of the interstate. It's only $5 to park all day ( I think the ramps charge something like $20) plus they are easy to get in and out of.It's an easy walk to the convention center from there.

Visiting downtowm Chicago is amazing. There's tons to do (I highly recommend Eataly. If you go there you'll see what I mean.) Getting downtown is easy. Just hop on the train at the lot I told you to park at and your in Downtown in just a couple of minutes.
Great stuff Mark! Are you referring to the Rosemont L-train station?

Thanks for the info! Dave
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Default National in Chicago...

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight,a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy that much. The variety and quality of the cards is amazing.

Looking forward to meeting you at the National !!!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Dave,
I'll echo a lot of what was said about wearing comfortable shoes, staying 15-20 ride from the convention center,and parking in the metro lot.
All of the National's that I've been to have been at the Chicago locations (McCormick Place/Stephens Convention Center). I have always went 2 days and I think that is about right time-wise. You should have no issues finding buys with the items you collect. I try and stay as close to my buying plan as possible (one year it was mostly T201 and 1955 Topps Doubleheaders with a few misc items thrown in) and I needed about 1 1/2 days to really get through the whole place. That was even skipping over the tables that had just shiny new stuff. It is neat just seeing some of the items that the auction houses have also.
Pack a few items like granola bars or similar with you that you can eat throughout the day. I hate buying $6 pieces of not-so-great pizza that could have been spent on cards.
It's one thing I look forward to each time I'm able to attend.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

All of the above, but wanted to emphasize something that goes with the granola bars mentioned. Hydrate!

You'd be surprised how easy it is to "forget" to drink fluids while you wander around the floor. I usually bring two or three 16/20 oz bottles of water and make sure I pound one by noon and polish off the rest in the afternoon. You might be lugging around the weight of the water initially, but as that backpack gets heavier during the day, it will definitely give you the incentive to drink the water rather than carry it around.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 AM
Dave

Thanks for the great advice fellas! Can't wait!

Dave