NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 AM
Howard Chasser

Default There are others - one photographer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great information to know! I wonder if they were the work of ONE photographer or of a "team"?
I own a Clemente from the same "issue". The work was done by a single photographer. I had researched it some time ago and cannot recall his name right now. He was a team photographer for a professional sports team. He did a number of portraits of Major Leaguers. I own/have owned both pins and proof photos of Clemente, Mays, Rose, G. Perry and a number of Red Sox players. I spoke with the photographers nephew a few years back. He still has the negatives, but was a bit skeptical about speaking with me about them - perhaps because whatever was "released" had no license. I have had my eye out for these pins for over 20 years - they are EXTREMELY scarce. The brewers group pictured is the first time I recall seeing any Brewers. The style of the photograph is the giveaway - They are always - players in uniform set against a solid color background - VERY high quality posing and image quality. The pins I have seen are also different sizes. I have seen at least 1 "super size" image of Clemente.

While we are at it. I am attaching an image of a Clemente pin I have not seen before. It appears to be an early stadium pin. Anyone know anything about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pins2.jpg (8.1 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg stadium pin 2.jpg (74.4 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg stadium pin 3.jpg (70.0 KB, 698 views)
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Further about the mystery pins

I also highly question whether they were actually sold or distributed at ball parks as given their quality and attractiveness I think they would be in MUCH greater supply today. Also how could they have been sold there without a license. I believe it was a pet project for the photographer who did produce VERY small numbers of prints and pins - possibly for friends and those close to him - perhaps started a project intended to get a license and never did. Based on the lack of availability and awareness among advanced collectors I strongly believe these did not have any type of mass distribution. If you have any you would consider selling - please contact me.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I also highly question whether they were actually sold or distributed at ball parks as given their quality and attractiveness I think they would be in MUCH greater supply today. Also how could they have been sold there without a license. I believe it was a pet project for the photographer who did produce VERY small numbers of prints and pins - possibly for friends and those close to him - perhaps started a project intended to get a license and never did. Based on the lack of availability and awareness among advanced collectors I strongly believe these did not have any type of mass distribution. If you have any you would consider selling - please contact me.
great info in your two posts!! You would think there would be someone on N54 who remembers buying them, when new, 40+ years ago.

The Red Sox varieties seem to be somewhat plentiful as I see them on ebay all the time. The others, not so much.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
While we are at it. I am attaching an image of a Clemente pin I have not seen before. It appears to be an early stadium pin. Anyone know anything about it?
this one, right? Not 100% sure I buy the description....it could be true but sounds a bit like wishful thinking to get a wishful price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151175696575...84.m1423.l2649

"SUPER SUPER RARE 1 OF 2 OF THESE 1.75'' PINS THAT I KNOW OF THAT EXIST AND I OWN THE SECOND ONE. THIS PIN IS NOT IN DR. PAUL M. MUCHINSKY'S PINBACK BUTTON BOOK AND I HAVE ONLY SEEN THE TWO IN 25 YEARS OF COLLECTING. THERE IS A TED KLUSZEWSKI PIN FROM 1958 THAT IS OF THE SAME STYLE WITH LITTLE BASEBALL AFTER HIS NAME. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE IN RARITY OF ROBERTO CLEMENTE OR PINBACK , THIS IS IT."
Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
this one, right? Not 100% sure i buy the description....it could be true but sounds a bit like wishful thinking to get a wishful price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151175696575...84.m1423.l2649

"super super rare 1 of 2 of these 1.75'' pins that i know of that exist and i own the second one. This pin is not in dr. Paul m. Muchinsky's pinback button book and i have only seen the two in 25 years of collecting. There is a ted kluszewski pin from 1958 that is of the same style with little baseball after his name. If your looking for the ultimate in rarity of roberto clemente or pinback , this is it."
$5,000??? Wow!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Rare - absolutely - 5K???

The image I am familiar with and is from 1956-1958. The pin I have never seen before - which says A LOT - and in my humble opinion would be an indicator that if legit, the pin is in fact quite scarce. $5,000 scarce - that's a different story! Yes, It is the same one listed on ebay in the previous link.

I will try to look for additional info on the other pins being discussed and share when I find it.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Jim M.arinari

Default Just picked these up

PM-10's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford pin f031.jpg (79.2 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg Ford pin b036.jpg (75.9 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle pin f032.jpg (78.2 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle pin b035.jpg (69.6 KB, 658 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Skip

Default Nashville Boosters Pin 1907

This is the only one I've seen like this, certainly a lapel pin from 1907. Can anyone give me a value? Thanks! Skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1907_Nashville_Booster_Pin.jpg (75.3 KB, 634 views)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Rob

I hate to see this thread go dormant for nearly 2 months!

Finally found this guy after 15-20 years of looking. Of the KNOWN Giants PM-10s, I still need Haller, Pagan, Pierce and McCormick. Although I've never seen one, I think there may be a pin of Jack Sanford out there. It's crazy how readily available most of the Mays pins are while guys like Gabrielson are basically impossible. I get that the Mayses outsold everything else but you would think that, at 50 cents per pin, many kids would collect the whole team in the course of the summer. The Pagan is so rare I never even knew it existed until a few months ago. I love these things!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan_14730173519_1.jpg (87.1 KB, 591 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
I own a Clemente from the same "issue". The work was done by a single photographer. I had researched it some time ago and cannot recall his name right now. He was a team photographer for a professional sports team. He did a number of portraits of Major Leaguers. I own/have owned both pins and proof photos of Clemente, Mays, Rose, G. Perry and a number of Red Sox players. I spoke with the photographers nephew a few years back. He still has the negatives, but was a bit skeptical about speaking with me about them - perhaps because whatever was "released" had no license. I have had my eye out for these pins for over 20 years - they are EXTREMELY scarce. The brewers group pictured is the first time I recall seeing any Brewers. The style of the photograph is the giveaway - They are always - players in uniform set against a solid color background - VERY high quality posing and image quality. The pins I have seen are also different sizes. I have seen at least 1 "super size" image of Clemente

I thought I would share this photo I came across that coo berates your super size description. It appears that Vera Clemente owns one that may have come from the same photo shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66904a_lg.jpg (66.9 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg Corbis-U1764083.jpg (40.7 KB, 526 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hope you guys don't mind me posting a hockey pin...
This is a 1938 Quaker Oats Toronto Maple Leaf premium.

Thanks,

Brent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.3 KB, 515 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Here's one more...

1904 Owen Sound hockey stick pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.0 KB, 678 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Jim H

Shale,

Thanks for the tip. I went to Hobby Lobby this morning and picked up a couple 16 x 20 boxes. This looks like a good project to do today.

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
I own a Clemente from the same "issue". The work was done by a single photographer. I had researched it some time ago and cannot recall his name right now. He was a team photographer for a professional sports team. He did a number of portraits of Major Leaguers. I own/have owned both pins and proof photos of Clemente, Mays, Rose, G. Perry and a number of Red Sox players. I spoke with the photographers nephew a few years back. He still has the negatives, but was a bit skeptical about speaking with me about them - perhaps because whatever was "released" had no license. I have had my eye out for these pins for over 20 years - they are EXTREMELY scarce. The brewers group pictured is the first time I recall seeing any Brewers. The style of the photograph is the giveaway - They are always - players in uniform set against a solid color background - VERY high quality posing and image quality. The pins I have seen are also different sizes. I have seen at least 1 "super size" image of Clemente.

Well,

Take a look at the photo that sold in the Hunt Clemente auction - image is the same format as the mystery pins - except this one is signed!! Harman studios - mystery solved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 741.jpg (69.8 KB, 482 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Well,

Take a look at the photo that sold in the Hunt Clemente auction - image is the same format as the mystery pins - except this one is signed!! Harman studios - mystery solved!
Awesome!

Now....who were Harman Studios?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Mike Kendall

Default Help with these pins

This style of pin is difficult to find for baseball, although it appears to be somewhat easier to find for NFL and college teams. I believe they were distributed in the 1950's but would like to see other examples to narrow the time period down. Does anyone have examples of other teams that might help with my research? Rob (ooo-ribay) if anyone has the Giants example it would be you. Anyone have a Dodger, Cardinal, Tigers, Braves, Red Sox or White Sox example?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2298.jpg (75.8 KB, 514 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Mike

Love that Yankees pin.

Mike
Old 08-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
This style of pin is difficult to find for baseball, although it appears to be somewhat easier to find for NFL and college teams. I believe they were distributed in the 1950's but would like to see other examples to narrow the time period down. Does anyone have examples of other teams that might help with my research? Rob (ooo-ribay) if anyone has the Giants example it would be you. Anyone have a Dodger, Cardinal, Tigers, Braves, Red Sox or White Sox example?
Here's one, Mike. Dead center. I'm not 100% sure this is a BB pin and I'm not sure about most of the far left column either. I like that the one just to the left of my red and white pin with stars has crossed bats on the ribbons. That one could have been sold at both FB and BB games but mine, obviously, came from a BB vendor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-07 02.11.17.jpg (75.4 KB, 465 views)
Old 08-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Here's one, Mike. Dead center. I'm not 100% sure this is a BB pin and I'm not sure about most of the far left column either. I like that the one just to the left of my red and white pin with stars has crossed bats on the ribbons. That one could have been sold at both FB and BB games but mine, obviously, came from a BB vendor.
Rob I notice your Giants version looks like my Bears version in that the line is only at the top of the pin. Maybe the FB pins were designed that way and the BB with lines at top and bottom. I found a college version for sale on eBay and it follows the top and bottom style. Need to see more to figure this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2304.JPG (77.3 KB, 464 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Rob I notice your Giants version looks like my Bears version in that the line is only at the top of the pin. Maybe the FB pins were designed that way and the BB with lines at top and bottom. I found a college version for sale on eBay and it follows the top and bottom style. Need to see more to figure this out.
Could be, but I kinda doubt it. I think some of these pins were used for both. Wasn't there also a NY Yankees FB team? As you say, let's see some more!