NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Jeff P

My opinion only and I've said this in the past. The sum of:

Card doctoring that gets by grader who are not very good + repeated submissions of cards until a dealer gets the grade they want + suspiciously high grades given to higher volume dealers + shill bidding in actions + buying the slab instead of the card = a huge bubble for high grade cards.

When this bubble eventually bursts, there's going to be a lot of unhappy collectors of PSA 8, 9, 10s. Don't be one of them.

jeff
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Love PWCC auctions! Won this one the other night:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140956616869

The underbidder bid $178 more than the bidder below -- and he bid on just 5 auctions in the past 30 days, all in PWCC auctions!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post

The underbidder bid $178 more than the bidder below -- and he bid on just 5 auctions in the past 30 days, all in PWCC auctions!
safety bid successful!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Charlie

I know certain things sometimes go on in the hobby. But I have to say I've had some cards in the last B & L Auction with good results. I also had some cards in the last two PWCC Auctions. So far good results. A few cards went higher then I expected, but no shill bids by me or my friends. Many of the cards were mine from when I was a kid and later graded with no doctoring.
They were not PWCC cards. I'm sure I have high % with a few sellers as they seem to have cards that I'm interested and I keep returning to buy.
I know everything is not perfect as we would like it to be, but I felt I needed
to at least stick up for PWCC, so far, in my little corner of experience with them.

Charlie
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

I'm confused. Yes a 3 second shill is possible, but isn't this what happens when two people snipe bid in the same auction with a "gotta have it" mentality? Both bids within 6 seconds of the hammer. If the price is too high, aren't both parties equally guilty? Clearly the 3 second bidder, didn't know that a 6 second bidder was out there. Just a thought.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm confused. Yes a 3 second shill is possible, but isn't this what happens when two people snipe bid in the same auction with a "gotta have it" mentality? Both bids within 6 seconds of the hammer. If the price is too high, aren't both parties equally guilty? Clearly the 3 second bidder, didn't know that a 6 second bidder was out there. Just a thought.
Frank, I don't have a problem with two people putting a high snipe in -- it just seems bizarre that the underbidder only bids on PWCC auctions. And this isn't the first time such a thing has has happened in a PWCC auction. Or the second time. Or the third time.

Edited to add: this is not to say this is the auctioneer's fault -- it could be the consignor.

Last edited by calvindog; 04-27-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
BW Stewart

Default T206 Cobb

Did y'all see the Cobb that was tore in half and glued back together bring $415?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

and he bid on just 5 auctions in the past 30 days, all in PWCC auctions! . . .

If you do any amount of research you'll find this is very common with PWCC auctions (and maybe other consignment sellers for all I know).

Some people care -- some people don't

Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Jeff

Some people know -- most people don't

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 04-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Pwcc

I will NOT use them again as I don't bid on my consignments.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Frank, I don't have a problem with two people putting a high snipe in -- it just seems bizarre that the underbidder only bids on PWCC auctions. And this isn't the first time such a thing has has happened in a PWCC auction. Or the second time. Or the third time.

Edited to add: this is not to say this is the auctioneer's fault -- it could be the consignor.
+1....
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

PWCC posted on CU recently in response to charges of scan manipulation.

"In particular, we are writing in response to baseless claims that we somehow are manipulating our scans. Such accusations are ridiculous and I ask that folks please remain substantive in their accusations of any company (not just PWCC). We are not altering our scans, in fact we go to great length to ensure the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible. Obviously, if we were altering images we'd have plenty of upset buyers... right? Aside from the obvious moral objection associated with this level of misrepresentation, the shear workload associated with having to manipulate scans would be stagging. So even if you don't trust us personally, perhaps you can trust the practical impossibility of such an accusation."

I can't speak to intent, but PWCC's scans do not look realistic to me, they look thermonuclear.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PWCC posted on CU recently in response to charges of scan manipulation.

"In particular, we are writing in response to baseless claims that we somehow are manipulating our scans. Such accusations are ridiculous and I ask that folks please remain substantive in their accusations of any company (not just PWCC). We are not altering our scans, in fact we go to great length to ensure the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible. Obviously, if we were altering images we'd have plenty of upset buyers... right? Aside from the obvious moral objection associated with this level of misrepresentation, the shear workload associated with having to manipulate scans would be stagging. So even if you don't trust us personally, perhaps you can trust the practical impossibility of such an accusation."

I can't speak to intent, but PWCC's scans do not look realistic to me, they look thermonuclear.
Kind of hard to take a guy seriously who has so many obviously shilled auctions and claims a 'moral' objection to any fraud.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Jim M.arinari

Which is it? Manipulating scans to "to ensure the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible." or "the shear workload associated with having to manipulate scans would be stagg(er)ing."?

Intentional or not, the scans are hot. They sure don't look like factory default settings. And if someones job is ensuring "the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible.", they aren't manipulating them properly.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 04-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Do I smell class action?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:

This was my consignment, and I can promise that I did not shill or safety bid this card or have any of my friends do the same. Note that I also consigned this same card but in a different tint in a recent Goodwin auction, and I was also the consignor of the Wajos if this same issue that went in both this one and Goodwin.

Last edited by glchen; 04-28-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, at least we can narrow down the guilty party to the auction house.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Robert Williams

When a PSA 6 sells for as much, if not more than a PSA 8, it is mind boggling to me as well. Just a shred of research and a little common sense will tell you what a fair market price for a particular item is. When the above scenario happens though, it definitely smells fishy to me. This hobby has so many scenarios and sub-scenarios though - it would blow your mind if you knew everything that went on. I blame the almighty dollar....
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

You "blame the almighty dollar?" How about blaming the guy who was responsible for shill bidding?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Robert Williams

For the card that I saw, the shill bid stopped at $33. There were still two other "sensible" bidders who bid it up past the PSA 8 level, totally ignoring the big coke spill stain on the back of the card.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Careful Jeffrey you will get yourself banned!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I would think the auction house would have a lot more to lose should they win the item themselves and then have to relist it, than they would have to gain from a few extra dollars commission by bidding an item up to $400.

Also, if the auction house were doing the actual shill bidding here, and they have a habit of doing so, wouldn't they have specific accounts that don't have 100% bid activity with PWCC, so that this wouldn't seem like such "obvious" shill bidding?

I am not naive enough to think shill bidding and scan manipulations do not occur with regularity in this hobby. I just feel that now we've learned that the consignor (Gary) did not do the shill bidding on the postcard w/ Ty Cobb, this may just be a case of another collector driving the price up with a snipe.

Last edited by CW; 04-28-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: to add the last paragraph
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Also, if the auction house were doing the actual shill bidding here, and they have a habit of doing so, wouldn't they have specific accounts that don't have 100% bid activity with PWCC, so that this wouldn't seem like such "obvious" shill bidding?
Not necessarily... if ebay isn't going to do anything about it, why bother trying to make it look less obvious
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I just feel that now we've learned that the consignor (Gary) did not do the shill bidding on the postcard w/ Ty Cobb, this may just be a case of another collector driving the price up with a snipe.
Again, the issue is not with the snipe -- it is with the fact that the underbidder (and many underbidders in PWCC auctions) is only bidding in PWCC auctions.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I agree with Chuck. It would be hard to believe that AH's would be dumb enough to leave such an obvious trail if they were indeed shilling their own auctions. But then again, "dumber" things have happened.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Sigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqEOKjcE5hLSR-OQBOeR00dl!w~~60_12.jpg (31.6 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16JHJF0FF,Esfq1mBRccNH!Ls!~~60_57.jpg (68.5 KB, 461 views)

Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I agree with Chuck. It would be hard to believe that AH's would be dumb enough to leave such an obvious trail if they were indeed shilling their own auctions. But then again, "dumber" things have happened.
Ask Mastro and Allen about leaving an obvious trail of evidence on their fraud....
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
My opinion only and I've said this in the past. The sum of:

Card doctoring that gets by grader who are not very good + repeated submissions of cards until a dealer gets the grade they want + suspiciously high grades given to higher volume dealers + shill bidding in actions + buying the slab instead of the card = a huge bubble for high grade cards.

When this bubble eventually bursts, there's going to be a lot of unhappy collectors of PSA 8, 9, 10s. Don't be one of them.

jeff
I agree Jeff. I do believe that high grades are given to higher volume dealers and I have my own experience to draw from in that respect. About two years ago I purchased a PSA 10 from an ebayer who deals in highly graded PSA cards. This dealer turns lots of PSA's in selling. This was a one of one, and I actually believe the price on the card was a mistake by the seller since the price was extremely less than the other one of's they were selling. The card I bought was an icon of the game. I checked PSA for the population and it was a one of. I had owned the card for about six months and checked the population report again, and to my surprise ANOTHER PSA 10 had been granted. This card was over 40 years old and out of the blue another 10? Sure enough the same seller had the same card again in a PSA 10. Three months ago I unloaded mine. That is why I always try to buy raw cards.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 04-27-2013 at 06:22 AM.