NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great Ali story, Mike; that's why he's the greatest. He could be all pissy and self-pitying over his ailment but he's been a joy to his fans for decades instead. It's his personality, just like being a selfish turd was Mantle's personality. I remember seeing Ali at a card show shortly before he was diagnosed. He did not look well at all and was not his usual gregarious self but he stayed and signed as the 'free' guest for hours past his quitting time to make sure everyone got a signature. I remember seeing the ink stains on his white shirt cuffs [he was wearing a suit] and wondering at how much a major celebrity cares about his fans to stay on and keep signing for free like that.

Another guy who impressed me with his caring for fans was Steve Garvey. When he was at the height of his fame here in L.A. I saw him and his family one Sunday morning at a local deli in Woodland Hills. Kids were lined up 20-deep at his table to meet him. His wife was visibly pissed off but he not only signed everything as his eggs sat getting cold, he engaged each kid in conversation, sat them down next to him, etc. Although I was a Dodgers hater at the time [they were playing my beloved Yankees in the W.S. three times in those years] I was really impressed with him.

Another one who's always been good with fans even when he was the biggest star around is Sylvester Stallone. I ran into him a couple of times here in L.A. in the 1980s and he was always polite and nice to his fans and signed whenever he was able. I was so tongue-tied that all I could sputter out was that I'd seen all his movies. He thanked me and signed my autograph for me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-09-2012 at 07:13 AM.