NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Default A few thoughts on REA bidding

REA is a great company that does a lot of things right. So I'm not a hater. But I do think they could improve things with their bidding system.

I have two observations about REA's bidding system:

1. I wish the slots weren't so wide apart. It is sometimes the case that I would raise the current bid, but the next slot is more than I want to pay for the card. There is no in-between. The result is this forces the bidder to make one of two choices: (1) Decide you want this card so much, you'll overpay for it, and bid into the next slot even though you would prefer to bid less, or (2) you decide you don't want to overpay, so you don't bid at all. This leads to the following result: (1) some auctions go for more than they would have otherwise (with a smaller gap between slots), because bidders are forced to bid according to REA's wide slots, or (2) the auction goes for less than it might have, because bidders walk away rather than overpaying for the card.

I think that situation (1) happens about half the time, and situation (2) the other half. If REA would narrow the gaps between bids, their auctions in the aggregate wouldn't go for less, they would just be priced more accurately (some lower, some higher).

2. My biggest complaint, however, is that the "autobid" slot is set to TWO slots ahead of the next bid. For example, a Babe Ruth card currently has the high bid at $10,000. You can bid $11,000, or you can "autobid" for $13,000, but you can't bid and occupy the $12,000 slot. Even if you bid $11,000, you can't raise your own bid to $12,000. So you either bid $11,000 or $13,000. Let's say the same card sold in a recent auction for $11,500. You are willing to bid $12,000, but you don't want to overypay by $1,500. Let's say you bid $11,000. Once you bid $11,000, someone else can take the $12,000 slot, but not you. Let's say that someone else does take the $12,000 slot. You now have to bid $13,000, or lose. The auction ends, and you lose, tough luck. You wanted to bid $12,000 on the card, but you couldn't.

The situation described above has actually happened to me in last year's REA auction. I remember thinking at the time, "Next year I got to get my bids in early to occupy the slots I want!" I then started thinking how ridiculous it is that I'm forced to think like this.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

I just wish they would do an eBay style system, where you can enter in whatever amount you want to bid. Add the waiting period to prevent sniping, that's fine if they want to do that. But the slotting system and autobid system they have set up very often does not allow a bidder to accurately bid what he/she thinks the item is worth.

Last edited by M's_Fan; 04-07-2010 at 02:15 PM.