NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default N173 & Goodwin Album Certificate Discussion – New Variations

Certificate Variation Identified (4 Different), see Post #1 for Details
5th New Certificate Found - "World's Champions" & "Floral", see Post #7 for Details
6th New Certificate Found - "Floral Album", see Post #10 & #14 for Details
7th New Certificate Found - West Coast Agents "Mau, Sadler & Co.", see Post #16 for Details
New Early Insert Found - "Trademark Important to Smokers", see Post #19 & #22 for Details
9th & 10th - New Variations (10 coupons & counting), see Post #23 for Details

Relaxing for the evening. Trying to erase a disappointing Tiger's game from memory and figured I'd post something that might interest a few people.

I recently realized a variation within the 1889 N173 certificates that was new to me. The Old Judge book displays two different certificates but a third variant, perhaps many more, exist. I believe each of the three certificates have sufficient information to assign the likely order in which they were issued. We do know that these certificates date to 1889 based on the dates found on the certificate as well as the 20 certificate requirement.

One year earlier, 1888, the requirement for obtaining a cabinet required more cigarettes to be consumed. The metamorphic trade cards found at point of sale detailed requirements which began at 35 but quickly dropped to 25 empty box covers not containing slips or the slips themselves. The 1888 cabinet checklists likewise mention the 25 slip requirement. I personally have not seen one of these 1888 “slips”. I find it curious that Goodwin refers to a “slip” requirement in 1888 and a “certificate” requirement in 1889. Does anyone have a slip or certificate to share from 1888?

Back to 1889, I believe the three certificates I’ve posted can be placed in proper chronological order based on the dates provided for the BASE BALL ALBUM release. The earliest certificate, which has “May 1889” on the N173 redemption side, states the BASE BALL ALBUM will be released July 1st. The BASE BALL ALBUM features “colored likenesses of last year’s Champions, the New York Giants.” This album, designated A35 in the hobby, is perhaps the most sought after baseball album ever produced with beautiful player lithographs found on the round pages.

The second and third certificate variations are very similar, differing only on the Album redemption side of the certificate. One version provides dates for the yet to be released albums including a revised release date for the BASE BALL ALBUM, now July 15th. It also lists an Aug. 15th, 1889 availability date for the Sports and Games Album. The third certificate variation is minus all the dates suggesting it may have been issued after the albums were made available (post Aug. 15th).

I’ve also attached a scan of yet another certificate which Goodwin refers to as a “ticket” that I believe also dates to 1889, but curiously only promotes the BASE BALL ALBUM. There are likely many more versions than I have posted here.

One thing is clear, Goodwin kept changing the name of what we commonly refer to as a “coupon” today. In 1888 Goodwin refers to a “slip” and then a “certificate” and “ticket” in 1889. The only name Goodwin apparently didn’t use was “coupon”.

Please post your Goodwin issued certificate(s) if you have one/some, regardless of which variation. Maybe we can get an idea of relative scarcity.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 07-04-2023 at 09:26 AM.