NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2023, 07:54 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Default Consignment/Auction House Question

Variations of this have been asked previously, however I am looking to auction/consign a good chunk of my collection and not sure where to start. I have purchased from every major auction house (and some not so major) and not sure who would be a better fir for my offering. All my items are prewar and include names such as Cobb, Wajo, Ruth, etc. Total value upwards of $50K spread amongst 15-20 items.

Obviously, I would like the best exposure, best terms and ultimately the best return. How does one decide?

Until recently, I have only consigned with REA, and am getting 10% commission taken out of hammer price.

What are everyone's suggestions, recommendations and advice on navigating something like this?
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old 12-07-2023, 08:17 PM
Jorge Pelayo

Brian im glad you started this topic as i find myself in a similar dilemma. I too could use some advice . I plan to hopefully consign what i feel and hope will be a very nice and significant piece to the hobby ( black sox related ).
This would be my first time using an AH to sell. I look forward to the responses from the very knowledgeable and experienced members of this forum.

P.s. Good luck Brian with your items !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1910-11 T212 Obaks
1910-11 M116's
1912 T207
1912 C46 Imperial Tobbaco
Frank Arellanes Zeenuts
Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Brian im glad you started this topic as i find myself in a similar dilemma. I too could use some advice . I plan to hopefully consign what i feel and hope will be a very nice and significant piece to the hobby ( black sox related ).
This would be my first time using an AH to sell. I look forward to the responses from the very knowledgeable and experienced members of this forum.

It's a question I have wrestled with a bit of late.

Major AH vs smaller AH?
Consign to one AH vs spread out certain items?
Timing: Is Spring or Summer better? (Earlier?)
What can I expect/hope for in way of terms for a decent offering 50-75K worth of items (avg value 2-3K per card, some lower, some higher)?

Good luck to you as well and here's to hoping we get some good insight and direction.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:34 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like it might be more memorabilia than cards. If that's the case I would urge you to talk to Al Crisafuli of LOTG
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-08-2023, 08:15 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default AH Thoughts

Hey Brian, good question. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of feedback from members here, a few random thoughts from my end …

- I’ve used many/most previously (smaller to larger). First thing is I would insist on a zero commission seller fee. If your items are worth what you’ve noted, you should be able to get that from most of them – especially if they are going to rake 12 1/2% to 23% or more off the hammer from the buyers. Some may offer a buyer premium share, or rebate back to you – again, depending on the value of your items and anticipated return. I’d say just like you would in most any other capacity where you’re looking for the best deal on a major purchase, shop around.

- Hard to say definitively whether you would do better at a smaller or larger AH. Obviously so much depends on exposure, timing, other similar items for sale within that AH or other auctions closing in/around the same time frame. Obviously conventional wisdom would say bigger AH - bigger exposure, but if you have one of many for sale within that AH at that particular timeframe, that’s going to dilute any return. If you’re the “bigger fish” in the smaller pond, great .. but if their reach/exposure is smaller, that of course limits return as well. Many of the smaller AHs will have lower buyer premiums which may make them more attractive to you and your potential return.

- If some of your stuff is ungraded, rarer/highly collectible – the larger AHs may submit to one of the grading companies on your behalf and cover the cost – especially if they feel that will gain more confidence, activity, and ultimately a higher price. That’s something I would ask about when you’re considering them/discussing consignment.

- Some members would suggest using Ebay and doing it yourself – largely because of the reach/exposure, no buyer fees and no commission to you beyond your general 10% final value fee. There are several that will list through eBay for you such Probstein, COMC, etc. - I haven’t used them for consignment, so I don’t know what their fees/services entail but they do have a pretty good following and market themselves pretty well.

- Seasonality .. there are so many different variables largely based off economy and the basic rule of economic supply/demand. Generally speaking, I’ve had better luck in the spring given tax season, refund checks, spring training/start of the baseball season and some of the interest/attention on it. “hope springs eternal”, etc. Again, that’s probably more on the perception side than reality – the only time I’ve seen some seasonality price softness is in November/December from time to time, particularly on some things I’ve been following longer-term.

Many of the AH owners/operators are members here on Net54 so they may reach out to you directly via message or email.

Not sure if any of this is already known, redundant, etc .. but I hope it’s helpful. Again, I’m sure other members will be able to offer up some of their thoughts and other suggestions which may also splash more into the fold here.

Last edited by Edwolf1963; 12-08-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Default Sterling Sports Auctions

Hi Brian and anyone else interested in consigning,

I am always available to talk to about potential consignments and if they would be a good fit for Sterling. If not, I am more than willing to recommend an alternative.

If you are looking to consign I would love to hear from you and willing to talk about your consignment. In case anyone is not aware Sterling is a "one man show", if you contact Sterling you are contact me.

Thanks to all who have support Sterling in the past and allowed me to have a job in a hobby I love.

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
Old 12-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Definitely speak with Al. You will get straight talk, not pie in the sky mumbo jumbo, but honest opinions and a fair appraisal of what you have.

There are some real unscrupulous operators in this business. This board will direct you to the right folks.

Personally speaking, I've been shocked at the number of identical cards (different grades) selling lately in recent auctions. 8 of these. 9 of these. 7 of these. Did the AH call the consignors and tell them that the card they were excited to sell is buried on page 127 with 7 other of the same card. Man I would be pissed to find that out for the first time when I receive a catalog 4 months later.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:59 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Hey Brian, good question. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of feedback from members here, a few random thoughts from my end …

...Not sure if any of this is already known, redundant, etc .. but I hope it’s helpful. Again, I’m sure other members will be able to offer up some of their thoughts and other suggestions which may also splash more into the fold here.
Appreciate the feedback, insight and well thought response to questions asked. Thank you!

Old 12-08-2023, 07:13 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Most of the major auction houses have a large following so picking one can be a challenge.

With a $50K value and not a large number of items making up the total, you can certainly negotiate on seller commission. Zero should be no problem. Most tend to shy away from taking away from their 20% or so on the buyer premium on a value of this size but you might find one if you shop around.

The biggest problem I see with the largest houses is that they always have a multitude of the same high profile cards which can hurt all of them.

If there are (5) 1952 Topps Mickey Mantles in grade 5, likely all will wind up in the same ballpark while if there is only (1) it might do better.

There are some very good smaller auction houses that also get a lot of bidders.

But it is hard to rule out Heritage, REA, Lelands, Hunt, Memory Lane, Mile High, and many others.

If you find one you trust and get acceptable seller terms, you will likely do well with any of them IMO.