NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What is your preferred National location as a BUYER?
Anaheim, CA 42 11.86%
Atlantic City, NJ 58 16.38%
Chicago, IL 82 23.16%
Cleveland, OH 42 11.86%
Las Vegas, NV 73 20.62%
Other 57 16.10%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2023, 02:06 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Default Poll: BUYERS preferred National Location

Lots of discussion about preferred National locations. Let's get some quick stats from a BUYERS (attendee) perspective. Even if you did not attend this year, where would your preferred venue be located? Second poll being created for sellers. Curious to see if the results align.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2023, 02:14 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Atlantic city is my preference. Simply because I live in the northeast and it is convenient and drive-able. Not a big fan of leaving the ground..

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection
Robert J. Miller

Purely because of where I live, Atlantic City. I live outside of Philly and it is only an hour and a half drive. When its somewhere else, I do not attend. Possibly in the future though when I retire I will travel more often.
Bob
Robert J. Miller

Purely because of where I live, Atlantic City. I live outside of Philly and it is only an hour and a half drive. When its somewhere else, I do not attend. Possibly in the future though when I retire I will travel more often.
Bob
Old 08-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Anything in the South would be nice. Not that I'm holding my breath.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:28 PM

I wish they promoters would consider Indianapolis as a site. While there wouldn't be a whole lot to do there in the summer (though they do have an nice zoo and an excellent Children's Museum), most folks that come to the National are coming for the National anyway. Indy is a very accessible major city, by road and by air, with a nice convention center and many restaurants downtown (that now stay open well after 8 PM!!!). The convention center has air conditioning, and they have hosted Gen-Con there every year as well as the NFL Experience when the city hosted the Super Bowl.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:40 PM

The poll is just more of a poll of where people live and they will obviously going to choose WHERE one lives near. For example, Robert only wants Atlantic City because he lives near there. Right, Robert ? beer chug.gif
Old 08-02-2023, 02:51 PM
Robert J. Miller

That is correct.
Now maybe when I retire, I will have more freedom to travel and might venture out to other locations.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The poll is just more of a poll of where people live and they will obviously going to choose WHERE one lives near. For example, Robert only wants Atlantic City because he lives near there. Right, Robert ? Attachment 582632
This is true. I'd like the National in San Diego. But San Diego would also be a great place for the National.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:39 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
I wish they promoters would consider Indianapolis as a site. While there wouldn't be a whole lot to do there in the summer (though they do have an nice zoo and an excellent Children's Museum), most folks that come to the National are coming for the National anyway. Indy is a very accessible major city, by road and by air, with a nice convention center and many restaurants downtown (that now stay open well after 8 PM!!!). The convention center has air conditioning, and they have hosted Gen-Con there every year as well as the NFL Experience when the city hosted the Super Bowl.
Love this idea! I imagine hotels and food would be cheaper as well.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:34 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

I wish they would bump it around the country. I like Chicago as a city, but not a fan of the venue. I'd like to see Dallas, Seattle, Denver, Indy, Charlotte, Boston, etc...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:34 PM
Eric Perry

My vote is for the location where the Philly Show currently takes place. There is lots of space, contained within (four, I believe) separate halls. So, the cards, autographs, corporate booths, and breakers can have their own separate spaces.

Think about it.

Personally, I would love to just look at and buy/sell cards. No making my way around (or through) the massive lines for autographs, on-site grading, or corporate promotional thingies. And no breakers with their amped-up P.A. systems or friggin' cowbells.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (193/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 08-02-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:47 PM
James M

I live in Philly and I am not sure how anyone can love the AC location. I used to hate driving to AC to play poker before it was legal in PA and its not that long of a drive. Having to fly to Philadelphia and then rent a car and drive 80 minutes both ways, meh.

Anyway, for a convention that is a "national" convention, the location should be in a place that is highly accessible via rail and air for at least 75% of the country. Having it in the suburbs or far away from a central travel hub seems not great. I'm an urbanist, so maybe I am biased.

Rosemont, given that it is right on top of O'Hare, makes sense, but it seems like the facility itself isn't great.

Vegas would be a pretty good location, though in a few years, you won't be able to be outside in July in Las Vegas without an extremely elevated risk of heat stroke.

Boston's airport is easy to access and services non-stop flights from all over the country, and it is very close to the center of the city, but I'm not sure they have an ideal space to host it. The Garden maybe? Also, Boston is too far from the west coast, which hits at my rule above about 75%

Last edited by 53toppscollector; 08-02-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:56 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

AC is a pit--I voted for Vegas
Old 08-02-2023, 03:57 PM
Matt G

Default South

I’m biased as well, but I’m sure Dallas could put on a great show, and DFW has a lot of direct flights around the country…

I also like the idea of Atlanta. Weren’t there rumblings about a 2026 ATL show?

Why is the northeast and Midwest always pushed so hard? Tradition?

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 5/76

1956 Topps HOF Portraits: 2/30

M116 Blue HOF Background: 1/11

Instagram: @StraightRaceCards
Old 08-02-2023, 04:12 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Las Vegas is the obvious answer. It checks all the boxes. Cheap direct flights from virtually every airport; great hotels; modern convention space; nice restaurants; & entertainment everywhere.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:58 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyruscobb View Post
las vegas is the obvious answer. It checks all the boxes. Cheap direct flights from virtually every airport; great hotels; modern convention space; nice restaurants; & entertainment everywhere.
+100
Old 08-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Mike O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Las Vegas is the obvious answer. It checks all the boxes. Cheap direct flights from virtually every airport; great hotels; modern convention space; nice restaurants; & entertainment everywhere.
+1,000. I live 20 minutes from Anaheim and wouldn’t mind that at all but as stated above, Vegas is the answer. It has everything.There is a reason tons of conventions are held there every year.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:57 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post

Boston's airport is easy to access and services non-stop flights from all over the country, and it is very close to the center of the city, but I'm not sure they have an ideal space to host it. The Garden maybe? Also, Boston is too far from the west coast, which hits at my rule above about 75%
Boston has a huge convention center. It was paid for with state taxes. They will
only allow trade shows. But not a hobby type of convention. Because it was paid for with state taxes. The other problem is the unions that are used to set shows up have a lot of pull as to what happens with any show or convention there. Parking is a huge problem in downtown Boston.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:11 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Boston has a huge convention center. It was paid for with state taxes. They will
only allow trade shows. But not a hobby type of convention. Because it was paid for with state taxes. The other problem is the unions that are used to set shows up have a lot of pull as to what happens with any show or convention there. Parking is a huge problem in downtown Boston.
I wonder if the taxpayers that funded that center would feel differently about what shows were allowed there. Pretty disgusting that working class folks paid for it but some knucklehead bureaucrat , who is also paid by the hard working middle class gets to decide who gets in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-02-2023, 10:41 PM
Murr the Blurr

Seattle!!!
Old 08-03-2023, 12:52 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I wonder if the taxpayers that funded that center would feel differently about what shows were allowed there. Pretty disgusting that working class folks paid for it but some knucklehead bureaucrat , who is also paid by the hard working middle class gets to decide who gets in.
One of the biggest knuckleheads in state government resigned a few years ago. The state hasn't changed much.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:50 AM
Don

I will drive/fly anywhere but would complain the most about Dallas, Vegas, etc.

Just keep it in Chicago if you can.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:24 AM
Danny Gr|mes

Atlantic City, just for the convenience. Baltimore was my favorite, again convenience plus everything including stadium was walking distance.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:22 AM
Rich v@n He$$

I'd be out of my mind if it ever ended up in Denver or KC. Zero damn chance. It NEEDS to MOVE. Staying in select locations is strangling the life out of the hobby. Period.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:30 AM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

I feel that most people will cast their vote on tradition, familiarity and not really look at other options in depth or with any objectivity.

AF15
Old 08-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

of course, i vote Atlanta...but i wouldn't mind Alabama or Tennnesee or Florida.
as for Atlanta traffic, i work back n forth to atl everyday. Traffic is easy 3-6am in mornings, after that its congested.
As for afternoon, do it before 2pm...after that, ALL southbound or whatever is logged-jammed proabably till 6pm.
Luckily, i head North in the afternoons. And dont drive in the RAIN!!! Its not you, but the other drivers to watch out for!
Just dont do it!!!

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 08-05-2023 at 10:36 AM.