NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2023, 11:55 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default SGC Registry – Why isn’t there one?

This post topic was brought up at a recent dinner with some other collectors. The question was asked… why isn’t there a SGC registry?

Since SGC (to our knowledge) hasn’t given an official answer on why they don’t have a registry, we came up with the following possible reasons why they don’t:

1. Cost prohibitive – No idea what the cost is, but it too costly for SGC to implement.

2. Data Integrity – SGC doesn’t have the data integrity to have a registry.

3. PSA already cornered the market on registry – PSA started in 1991, they started the PSA registry in 2001. SGC started in 1998, no registry to date. Since PSA has had a registry for over 20 years, SGC is already behind the 8 ball and it wouldn’t make sense to start one now.

4. Not a high priority – SGC determined that this feature isn’t a high priority for collectors.

What say you? Agree with any or is there another reason we missed? I do wish SGC would come out and give an official response on the matter. I know collectors have asked this same question for years.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

They had one, which wasn't perfect but was nice.

Then they spent big on a new database that was supposed to fix the problems the old database had. About a year overdue it finally launched but ...
Didn't include the old data.
Didn't work well at all.
And apparently couldn't import the old data.

There were claims of fixing it, but nothing happened, the company sold and I would think the new people just didn't think it was worth it.

Last edited by steve B; 03-21-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-21-2023, 12:06 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

The Registry was confirmed Recently, I recommend watching the full Interview but if you want to hear about it alone skip to 52:30. Though he basically said it's probably not coming soon, and an app will be coming to tide us over.

https://www.youtube.com/live/mmWHKPohXvk?feature=share

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 03-21-2023, 12:48 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
The Registry was confirmed Recently, I recommend watching the full Interview but if you want to hear about it alone skip to 52:30. Though he basically said it's probably not coming soon, and an app will be coming to tide us over.

I have seen this video... still waiting on that app and if it scratches the itch of the registry.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:57 PM

An SGC registry would be cool.

I personally haven't entered anything into the PSA registry, but recently thought I would enter some graded packs. There wasn't a checklist for the packs I wanted to enter, so I tried to request a checklist. Evidently they are way behind entering new checklists for the registry as new requests have been suspended for quite some time while they catch up. I'm still waiting - anyone have any idea when they may start new checklists? PSA customer service recommend I use the "Collectors Showcase" to enter my items, but I don't desire to do that.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Not trying to hijack the original thread.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:16 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post

interesting video and thanks

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Jim Reynolds

The old registry was great. The message board was great. I think the registry shit the bed when they changed up the cert numbers.

I have been the squeakiest wheel on this. Won’t stop squeaking until they offer it again.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:00 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
The old registry was great. The message board was great. I think the registry shit the bed when they changed up the cert numbers.

I have been the squeakiest wheel on this. Won’t stop squeaking until they offer it again.
And it appeared the whole reason they changed the cert number process was to add more anonymity to submissions to prevent tracking of cards within a submission. At the same time they removed the G from SGC...no more guaranty.

Moves that to me seem to point to a company who is not looking out for their base.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
And it appeared the whole reason they changed the cert number process was to add more anonymity to submissions to prevent tracking of cards within a submission. At the same time they removed the G from SGC...no more guaranty.

Moves that to me seem to point to a company who is not looking out for their base.
In any other business, circling the wagons to protect bad actors and insulate the company from liability might draw some harsh consumer response. Not this effed up one.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:06 PM
+0m J()rd@N

What if SGC offered a registry where you could enter cards from any of the big 3/4/5 TPGs? Certainly something that collectors would find useful and it would scratch an itch that the PSA registry doesn't.

Not sure how much revenue for SGC that would generate though. PSA has a good thing (for them) going with their registry which drives folks towards PSA-only slabs if you want to play/compete.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
What if SGC offered a registry where you could enter cards from any of the big 3/4/5 TPGs? Certainly something that collectors would find useful and it would scratch an itch that the PSA registry doesn't.

Not sure how much revenue for SGC that would generate though. PSA has a good thing (for them) going with their registry which drives folks towards PSA-only slabs if you want to play/compete.
That would be great, but the main problem with doing that is all the TPGs do not agree and play by the same grading standards. And going forward, there would be a potential bias in TPGs maybe grading a little easier if such a registry really took hold of the hobby community. If one TPG graded a little easier than the others, they'd soon start getting more submissions than the other TPGs.

Also, what happens if one of the other TPGs then has to decertify a particular card/cert #, will they share info and let the SGC people handling this combined Registry now?

Last edited by BobC; 03-26-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:15 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post

My brother and I have discussed doing an independent registry that would allow just that. Of course that would have to be in our copious free time. Since running an auction company is so easy we should be able to hop on that some time around never.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-22-2023 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:00 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post

The old message board was a lot of fun I agree and miss it as well. I use to enjoy collecting and using their registry when I first discovered vintage. Good times.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:14 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I predict the Sgc app will be able to read the cards cert code via your phone camera and bring up the scans, pop, etc. Similar to psas bar code. If this isn’t a feature that will be disappointing for sure.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 03-23-2023, 05:25 AM

Default SGC registry?

Lots of folks continue to make valid observations directly in line with the
intent of the original post. Although I don't ask fellow collectors to fill out
a questionnaire about their purpose for collecting, I can say for sure I don't
know 5 who zero in on registry as their prime mover for collecting. It seems
reasonable to suggest that SGC would have implemented a registry
(re-implemented?) if they deemed it profitable for their business. The fact
that they have not essentially reveals that answer.

Lorewalker- I'm "wound too tight"? Glass houses come to mind. You
don't know me and never will- thank Heaven. Your approach on this topic
was flawed (again) and it doesn't require "anger" to discern. I'm sure your
flighty response to the next topic will be an example of flawless logic as well.

Trent King
Old 03-23-2023, 05:30 AM
Jim Reynolds

I simply want the registry back for the use of it as a checklist for my graded sets, and for the joy of competing with others and seeing their collections.