NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Iconic card you Want but you don't like the set/image.

So what do you do here guys ?

Do you purchase the card just because?

Do you say, I think I'll get the second year card?

Do you just move on?

And I guess you could also ask the reverse question.

How about a set you love but a valuable card that you don't like in the set/image.

The first card that come to my mind is 1948 Bowman phil rizzuto rc .
This is a iconic card I don't really care for . I even like the 1949 Bowman Berra over the 1948 Bowman Yogi Berra .
Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I figured you were talking about the 1970 Topps Thurman Munson...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I figured you were talking about the 1963 Pete Rose.

One of my fav's growing up and I have all his cards except the '63.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Johnny MaZilli

1972 Topps Clemente. My least favorite set of the post war era.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I figured you were talking about the 1963 Pete Rose.......
+1
Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 AM

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. The ugliest card ever made by Topps in my opinion.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. The ugliest card ever made by Topps in my opinion.
I don't care for 52 topps at all.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 AM
George

The '73 Schmidt rookie comes to mind. Not a bad card itself, but part of my least-favorite set. I was 8 years old when the 1973 cards came out and remember being hugely disappointed in them after the exuberant 1972 set. My feelings toward the '73 set, and 1973 in general, were largely influenced by the death of my favorite player, Roberto Clemente, on New Year's Eve and the first-series card of him that didn't acknowledge his passing (I was too young to appreciate printing schedules; but couldn't they have put out a commemorative card in the later series?). Years later, I still think the 1973 design was poor and many of the action photos were terrible. To me, the decline from 787 cards in 1972 to 660 cards in 1973 fits right in with Watergate, the tail end of Vietnam, gas shortages, avocado-colored appliances and other early-1970s blights.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Bob F.

Realizing I might be pummeled for the following opinion, but here goes. I would have loved to call the 53 Bowman Color set complete without buying the Pee Wee Reese card. I hate it.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Realizing I might be pummeled for the following opinion, but here goes. I would have loved to call the 53 Bowman Color set complete without buying the Pee Wee Reese card. I hate it.
LOL

Same here, and one of the biggest reasons I stopped working on it - I knew that I would have to not only buy that card, but also the horrible Berra, Bauer, Mantle card as well.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Bob!

...if I didn't owe you forever for giving me the card I was looking 10 years for.

lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosluggo View Post
The '73 Schmidt rookie comes to mind. Not a bad card itself, but part of my least-favorite set. I was 8 years old when the 1973 cards came out and remember being hugely disappointed in them after the exuberant 1972 set. My feelings toward the '73 set, and 1973 in general, were largely influenced by the death of my favorite player, Roberto Clemente, on New Year's Eve and the first-series card of him that didn't acknowledge his passing (I was too young to appreciate printing schedules; but couldn't they have put out a commemorative card in the later series?). Years later, I still think the 1973 design was poor and many of the action photos were terrible. To me, the decline from 787 cards in 1972 to 660 cards in 1973 fits right in with Watergate, the tail end of Vietnam, gas shortages, avocado-colored appliances and other early-1970s blights.
I feel the same way about the 1973 set.Steve Garvey was my hometown hero and that year's card is not only the worst Garvey of them all card but the worst in the entire 1973 set. Maybe one of the worst cards of all time. Thankfully, his 1974 card made up for it. The photo on that card is epic.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
I feel the same way about the 1973 set.Steve Garvey was my hometown hero and that year's card is not only the worst Garvey of them all card but the worst in the entire 1973 set. Maybe one of the worst cards of all time. Thankfully, his 1974 card made up for it. The photo on that card is epic.
I believe the Garvey card was suppose to be the Wes Parker card ; )....
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
I don't care for 52 topps at all.
Yep, not a fan of the rushed cut and paste look and poorly colorized photos. I only have the Zernial because I like the pic.

To each their own.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

1957 Topps. Yes, the famous first "genuine color" Topps set, and it has a few great cards, but on the whole I think the photography is dull and listless, and I can't imagine anything much more boring than trying to put a '57 Topps set together. Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to give me the Mantle or Ted Williams (the #407 Mantle / Berra is really nice too...) I'd jump at the chance, but on the whole I'm just not a fan of the set. Also annoying that some cards when printed with the right colors can be beautiful, but the same card often turned out dull and ugly because of differences in (the ink? The cardboard? Something?) the printing process. I'll go out on a limb even to say I like '58 Topps more than '57 because on the whole, they are more colorful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk