NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Robert Williams

Default Taking a break from the hobby (and that is why I hate .99 cent auctions!)

Hello all. Due to some unforeseen circumstances on my part, I am going to be taking a little break from the hobby. I am putting up my personal collection on Ebay (the easy stuff that I am able to do myself) and then consigning the rest to some of the big boys. I wanted to thank all the great friends I made on here, and if anyone is interested in anything, please check out my auctions.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Sorry to hear that; good luck with the sales.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Chris Moore

Hope your circumstances improve! What is your eBay ID? I'll check out the ones you post there.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Robert Williams

wandw-auctions

Thank you so much.

I'm starting tonight on listing some stuff and will trying my best to get as much as I can during the next few month. I got quite a bit, so bear with me.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-11-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Chris Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
wandw-auctions

Thank you so much.

I'm starting tonight on listing some stuff and will trying my best to get as much as I can during the next few month. I got quite a bit, so bear with me.
I just followed you - definitely keep an eye out. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Robert Williams

This is personal collection stuff/stuff I recently accumulated. I went to the safe and grabbed the stuff that I was working on. A lot of low grade collector cards that I collected. You can also see what I personally collected, that not too many people knew about because I didn't want the competition (lol).
Old 04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default auctions

sorry..not seeing anything come up on ebay for that ?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkwaxjunkie View Post
Hope your circumstances improve! What is your eBay ID? I'll check out the ones you post there.
Robert- I hope you get back soon...I'll check out your ebay items as soon as you post your ebay id.

Good Luck,
Raymond

OOPS! Everyone types faster than me.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-11-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Bill

Good luck with the sales Bobby. I'm glad to hear it's only a break. Look forward to your return. Take care till then!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
Good luck with the sales Bobby. I'm glad to hear it's only a break. Look forward to your return. Take care till then!
Ditto--your posts were always among the very most knowledgeable and valuable. I'll miss them! Like you, I don't often like to reveal the object(s) of my hunts, because I don't want the competition either.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
if anyone is interested in anything, please check out my auctions.
Several of your listing the cards are SGC slabbed "A" "AUTH" but in your description of the card you say they are Near Mint or EX/MT. Why weren't these cards given a number grade?
Larry
Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Several of your listing the cards are SGC slabbed "A" "AUTH" but in your description of the card you say they are Near Mint or EX/MT. Why weren't these cards given a number grade?
Larry
Those were the kinds of cards I went after Larry. I liked nice looking cards that had some kind of "issue" with them. You got them at a nice discount compared to the look. They were actually pretty difficult to find, as a few of the dealers (everyone knows who they are) actually snapped them up and sold them as raw, and received substantially more money. I am worried that that is what is going to happen with these. Usually there was an issue that SGC wouldn't give a number grade. Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc. I have also had "A" cards measure up correctly turn around and get a number grade on a subsequent submission.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Usually there was an issue that SGC wouldn't give a number grade. Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc. I have also had "A" cards measure up correctly turn around and get a number grade on a subsequent submission.
Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc describe cards in Poor condition, not Near Mint.
Larry
Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Hi Bobby, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, this will just be a short break and you'll be back in the hobby soon.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Hi Bobby, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, this will just be a short break and you'll be back in the hobby soon.

Thanks Gary. I knew I should have stayed out of the pool hall!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc describe cards in Poor condition, not Near Mint.
Larry
I was giving the eye appeal "appearance" of a card. You can have a trimmed card appear near mint. Hell, even the PSA card with the lowest cert appears NM!

Seriously though. I am describing what the cards eye appeal level appears to be. Not all trimmed cards are in "poor"" shape! I actively pursued these types of cards. I am sure others do too.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
I was giving the eye appeal "appearance" of a card. You can have a trimmed card appear near mint. Hell, even the PSA card with the lowest cert appears NM!

Seriously though. I am describing what the cards eye appeal level appears to be. Not all trimmed cards are in "poor"" shape! I actively pursued these types of cards. I am sure others do too.
i have a hard time believing u will be able to stay away from this board!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Gotta say I bit confused . I've takin a break from the hobby myself . I just put my stuff in the closet and didn't buy and new stuff . Then a year or two later I jump back in . You could take a break and keep your stuff imo.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

there is some wide use of the term NM etc....funny if all card were raw , there would be 10000x more returns on ebay about 'item not described'

however as it has been discussed on this board...it is not uncommon for graded 'A' cards to sell for far more than '1's or even '2'+s due to eye appeal....'poor' if deemed a purpose of a graded '1' for valuation would not be accurate on a nice 'A' that would sell for a higher price than a '1' etc
Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:

I see what both you and Larry are saying. In some cases it is more obvious that the card is trimmed, but others not so much (the '48 Bowman Feller?). And for the more 'obvious' cases of why it's authentic (and didn't receive a grade), I have no problem not explicitly being told. The large scans help a lot there!

What I (as a buyer) would prefer though would be something like:
"The card appears to be NM but was graded Authentic due to color retouching." Just my 2 cents. That said... I know it was graded A for SOME reason, so I bid accordingly if I can't tell what that reason might be.

Some very nice cards in any case. Good luck. As someone else posted, when you do get back in, you'll have a different outlook and will probably be surprised at the items that you sold which you don't miss.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Bill Gregory

Good luck to you, Bobby. I hope that eventually you'll be able to come back to the hobby.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Robert Williams

Uh-oh....Pending issue right out the gate!!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Schleprock

Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Schleprock

LOL. I think he wants someone to take interest and ask what happened. I will take the bait.

Robert, what is the problem you have encountered?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I'm taking a break from the board too.
Gonna go make myself a ham sandwich. See you guys back here in a few minutes...
Old 04-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Some of us would define that as drama.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Daryl

Seeing that soda map might have made all of this worth it.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Seeing that soda map might have made all of this worth it.
In Boston, sodas are (or were anyhow) called tonics.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Robert Williams

Look at completed listings for 1961 Juan Marichal PSA 6's. This would be a fun project because APPARENTLY not everyone here is a seasoned collector. Don't even bother looking at VCP. Look at the completed history one's currently on Ebay. The ones that are selling for $66 and under - what do they have in common?? Shoot, there was even a couple of $80's that fit that same criteria, but those were BIN's by some patient sellers (maybe even 707, who knows). Now look at the ones that sold for $90 and up. What common theme do they have????

I'm speaking tongue in cheek of course, but with some half truth thrown in. Get off the Juan Marichal. Look at Bob Gibson's rookie if that will help. Anytime you see a lower graded card sell for more than a higher graded card, or hell, even cards within the same grade, CENTERING is what makes the price difference!

It is not even my favorite quality of a card, but to the MAJORITY of collectors, CENTERING is boss! I'm sorry you felt like you got cheated according to VCP average. I am just explaining why you can throw VCP average out for certain cards. Carry on.....
Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Robert Williams

Here is current one running you should be able to win for your price range....seriously....good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUAN-MARICHA...sAAOSwKfVXF-Lf

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-24-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:12 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Here is current one running you should be able to win for your price range....seriously....good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUAN-MARICHA...sAAOSwKfVXF-Lf

To use your words... not mine: "APPARENTLY not everyone here is a seasoned collector." because that is, by definition, not 95/5 centering.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:11 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Look at completed listings for 1961 Juan Marichal PSA 6's. This would be a fun project because APPARENTLY not everyone here is a seasoned collector. Don't even bother looking at VCP. Look at the completed history one's currently on Ebay. The ones that are selling for $66 and under - what do they have in common?? Shoot, there was even a couple of $80's that fit that same criteria, but those were BIN's by some patient sellers (maybe even 707, who knows). Now look at the ones that sold for $90 and up. What common theme do they have????

I'm speaking tongue in cheek of course, but with some half truth thrown in. Get off the Juan Marichal. Look at Bob Gibson's rookie if that will help. Anytime you see a lower graded card sell for more than a higher graded card, or hell, even cards within the same grade, CENTERING is what makes the price difference!

It is not even my favorite quality of a card, but to the MAJORITY of collectors, CENTERING is boss! I'm sorry you felt like you got cheated according to VCP average. I am just explaining why you can throw VCP average out for certain cards. Carry on.....
Again... I completely agree... You keep missing my point because you are infatuated with 'throwing VCP out the door'.

Let's go ahead and throw VCP out the door!!!!!!!! Now we are the same side! Yay! Here's the scenerio then:
Your card doesn't sell for $90 as BIN. Would it then not make sense that card would then sell for less than $90?? Let's make that strong assumption. So any price under $90 seems that it could win.
$89 could win and seems more likely than $91.
$88 could win and seems more likely than $92.
$87 could win and seems more likely than $93.
continue doing this....
$66 could win and seems more likely than $114.

Wow!!! I love when math works out... PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!

There are other assumptions in play like sale prices being normally distributed and the residual of errors assumptions, but no need to dive into that.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
You keep missing my point...
Steve, you missed my point too, or perhaps you didn't see my post. There was still an under bidder in this auction that was willing to pay up to $111.50.

How do you overlook that point?

Edited for clarification. They say something is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. In this case, the card is worth $111.50 because that is what the under bidder was willing to pay for it.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-24-2016 at 10:17 PM.