NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Auction Houses vs. Ebay

This might be a silly question, but Ive been on this board for a bit, and wanted to finally ask....

why do people use independent auction houses to sell their cards instead of ebay?

It seems to me that these online independent houses would not nearly attract the amount of eyeballs as ebay would.

Whst am I missing here? 😣

Thx!

Smooth Transactions ezez420.frankbmd.northviewcats.t206hound.Beatles Guy.team-of-rivals.LukeLyon.ValKehl.Double-P-Enterprises.Hcom24.midmo.pow323.Tolstoi.WillowGrov e.Dougscats.t206Collector.cammb.pclpads.Jobu.eseho mbre.BocaBirdman, 38Goudeyman and many more
Old 11-25-2015, 03:14 PM
pete ullman

Its cheaper.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:25 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Less chance of funny business, returns, ebay deciding what you must do, Paypal charge backs, non-paying bidders, etc. Ebay is fine for lower dollar items, but I can see Ebay being a headache for more expensive items.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-25-2015, 04:13 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Less chance of funny business, returns, ebay deciding what you must do, Paypal charge backs, non-paying bidders, etc. Ebay is fine for lower dollar items, but I can see Ebay being a headache for more expensive items.

DJ
Of course, unless you are buying '52 Mantles, then it's ebay all the way!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

If you're not a major ebay seller it's going to be hard to sell a card for what a major auction house could, even after the buyer's premium. I know I couldn't unless I got lucky. People don't trust sellers without high ratings and feedback scores as much as say Heritage, Goodwin, etc.

And it's easier. You don't have to post pictures, deal with buyers not paying, or run the risk that someone will receive your card and file an ebay claim any way. You're paying for a service.

I have also consigned to ebay seller PWCC and been pleased with results. Lower fees than AHs and they've got quite a following.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 PM
John

When you say "instead of ebay", do you mean an eBay consigner or selling yourself on eBay?

And one thing that hasn't been mentioned, if you have something rare, that is valuable, but not really mainstream and as a result the number of collectors chasing it is smaller, you may get more eyeballs on it from the AH because they send out catalogs and the length of time the item is "up" is typically longer than the eBay 7 day standard. For a graded card from a mainstream set, I'd probably go with an eBay consigner.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 11-25-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetson_1883 View Post
This might be a silly question, but Ive been on this board for a bit, and wanted to finally ask....

why do people use independent auction houses to sell their cards instead of ebay?

What am I missing here? 😣
No idea since an auction house will end up costing about 3 times as much in fees as someone like PWCC.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sterling is 15% with no commission on graded cards. eBay is 10% plus 3% for payment processing. And all the other nonsense mentioned above versus no effort besides sending the card to Lee.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
No idea since an auction house will end up costing about 3 times as much in fees as someone like PWCC.
So Pwcc costs less than 4 %?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
So Pwcc costs less than 4 %?

Joe
No, PWCC costs around 10% - 13% depending on sale amount, if a card is graded, etc.

The stated auction houses that generate the highest sale amounts (REA, Heritage, Goodwin, etc,) typically add 20% buyer's premium and 20% sellers premium which totals to about 35% or so (not 40% since seller premium is before buyer premium).

Yes, an auction house will lower or even drop the seller premium for truly outstanding items. But PWCC would be 8% for those high sale items.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
No, PWCC costs around 10% - 13% depending on sale amount, if a card is graded, etc.

The stated auction houses that generate the highest sale amounts (REA, Heritage, Goodwin, etc,) typically add 20% buyer's premium and 20% sellers premium which totals to about 35% or so (not 40% since seller premium is before buyer premium).

Yes, an auction house will lower or even drop the seller premium for truly outstanding items. But PWCC would be 8% for those high sale items.
seller premium pretty rare even for items for a few hundred bucks....its basically 20% versus 13% or so......
Old 11-26-2015, 06:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

they're just different clubs in the golf bag. I think people TEND to bid more aggressively in an auction house situation for a mid to high end card. I think you get more eyes on an eBay auction, but not necessarily more sophisticated buyers. My experience is also that sometimes, I pick the wrong golf club.