NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Sean Brennan

Default Is there people you wont buy from simply because of their attitude?

Was curious how many out there, if any, wont buy from someone on here,ebay, and/or at a show simply because their attitude sucks.
I have a couple myself. I've been to a show where just simply asking how much a card is (because the dealer didnt bother putting a price on it) is meant with disgust or just a general crappy attitude.
I've passed on a few deals on before simply because of previous dealings where emails go unanswered, they are not helpful in the least, or you get short condescending responses.
I'm of the opinion I'd rather spend my money with helpful, courteous people.

Last edited by milkit1; 07-12-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Ben North

I only have 3 sellers I won't buy from. 2 on eBay and 1 on here.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Robert Williams

One "old school" card dealer, for multiple instances of card misrepresentation.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 07-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Yes
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quite a few, because I believe they are outlets for card doctors.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Totally. There are even people I wouldn't sell to because I don't like them.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:02 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Attitude NO, Price YES but that's mostly all eBay
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 AM
Phil Garry

If there's a rare card that you need for your collection, just about everyone who says that they wouldn't, will in fact buy the card, regardless of who the seller is. Same thing is true with the auction houses.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I am sure there have been a few, but I usually just forget about them and move on to the next card or seller...I have found that bad customer service gets its own 'reward' without my help.

Everyone can have a bad day, but I prefer to be treated at least as well as my money.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Was curious how many out there, if any, wont buy from someone on here,ebay, and/or at a show simply because their attitude sucks.
I have a couple myself. I've been to a show where just simply asking how much a card is (because the dealer didnt bother putting a price on it) is meant with disgust or just a general crappy attitude.
I've passed on a few deals on before simply because of previous dealings where emails go unanswered, they are not helpful in the least, or you get short condescending responses.
I'm of the opinion I'd rather spend my money with helpful, courteous people.
Absolutely. Good topic.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 AM

I always find it helps to bring my beautiful fiancé with me to shows. Dealers will usually spend more time talking to her than me and when I ask for a price, it's usually lower than what's on the card.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 AM
T0dd M@rcum

there are a couple of folks I generally avoid. During the heyday, I would always avoid anyone who had a dice game. Unless you're old you probably don't remember those.

There are four of five type dealers and once you have done this a little you know which one you are talking to immediately.

1) The guys I can do business with. A professional who treats you decently and prices things fairly but doesn't give stuff away. William Chappel and Rand Bailey are this type of folk. They will be 80% of my money most shows.

2) the unpriced pile-er…there are two sup-varieities of this type dealer…the guy who will shoot from the hip on a price and the buy who has to look every card up or get a price when his partner comes back. I work with guy one, usually walk away from guy two.

3) The museum curators who sets up at shows but have no intention or need of selling anything at less than top dollar. There are mostly older retirees who are just doing card shows to have something to keep them busy. Pass.

4) The buy guy and the auction house…they aren't there to sell, just to make connections and buy. No need to spend a lot of time with them.

5) The visitor…he's too busy opening packs or talking to his buddy to help you. There is also the lazy guy and the asshole who are close cousins to the visitor.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Dealers

I am not a dealer and hardly ever sell a card, but have often thought while at shows that if I was ever to set up a table I would likely commit homicide before the show was over. I bet dealers could tell some great stories about people who visit their tables
Old 07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am not a dealer and hardly ever sell a card, but have often thought while at shows that if I was ever to set up a table I would likely commit homicide before the show was over. I bet dealers could tell some great stories about people who visit their tables
+1. I heard many a things that my young ears shouldn't have behind a table at shows.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post

5) The visitor…he's too busy opening packs or talking to his buddy to help you. There is also the lazy guy and the asshole who are close cousins to the visitor.
Here's the one for me that I avoid and don't do business with.
I walk up to the table and he's either talking/bragging either to his buddy sitting with him or on his cell phone about the latest awesome pickup or pull he had, all the time not acknowledging the customer who is thinking of spending money at his table. I move on pretty quickly from "the visitor".
Old 07-18-2015, 06:34 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default yes

Most certainly YES
Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Rob Ruddy

Yes and I have a few people I won't sell to. All on eBay. My transactions here, while few, have all turned out well.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 07-29-2015 at 02:08 PM.