NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Brad Pencil

Default Sales Tax?

So I just got an email starting June 1, that Heritage will be charging Illinois (where I live) sales tax on their auctions. Is this happening across all auction houses and states? As that is adding close to 10% on top of the 20% most auction houses charge for their fee. I see myself not bidding as often as most items I typically by it would add hundreds to the total.

Just wanted to see if this was a universal change for everyone or if Illinois was just getting screwed. This sucks as I think this is where Leon is going to be selling his collection this summer and now I have to really think on what/if I want to bid.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Brad
Old 05-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Bry@n

I am new to paying attention to auction houses and still have not won a lot though I have bid. I now live in Wisconsin and I can tell you that sales tax would have been part of my purchase had I won anything from BST Auctions (located in WI).
Old 05-21-2015, 12:42 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Tax

Have it shipped to a trusted friend that lives in another state.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

How does Heritage charge Illinois sales tax when they are based in Texas?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Daryl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_tax
Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Taxes

Individual to individual trades could fall under the "casual sale" transaction and thus sales/use tax would not be due.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Individual to individual trades could fall under the "casual sale" transaction and thus sales/use tax would not be due.
Do up know up to what amount is considered a casual sale?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Lots of discussion about committing tax fraud on this thread, probably not the best thing to do on a public forum.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb13 View Post
Do up know up to what amount is considered a casual sale?
Does anyone know how high you can go and still be a causal sale from person to person?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 PM

Last edited by Sean1125; 05-21-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Default Sales Tax?

I'm working on a fairly large trade with Johnny (who lives in NJ) and the card I'm sending him was recently won in REA (also in NJ). Canadian customs wanted to charge me $550 for taxes on the card and then for me to send it to Johnny would cost him another 7% NJ tax. On top of this another 7% on the cards he is sending me.

Even if REA sent it direct to Johnny or he picked it up they would still charge same state tax of 7%

Got to pay your taxes.

Last edited by atx840; 05-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:05 PM

Many states are now pushing online retailers to charge sales tax for their state. This is being heavily pushed to be imposed for all states.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if you live in Illinois you should've been paying a "use tax" on all goods purchased online.

http://tax.illinois.gov/individuals/faqs-use-tax.htm

You owe Illinois Use Tax if you purchase an item:

- for use or consumption in Illinois, from an out-of-state retailer who charges no Illinois Sales Tax or charges sales tax at a rate lower than the Illinois rate, and on which sales tax would normally be collected if you bought it from a retailer in Illinois.

Examples include: purchases from an internet site that does not charge Illinois Sales Tax, catalog purchases from an out-of-state retailer who does not charge Illinois Sales Tax; purchases through an out-of-state home shopping television network that does not charge Illinois Sales Tax; and items purchased while you were in another state from a retailer who charged sales tax at a lower rate than the Illinois rate or in a foreign country.

Last edited by CW; 05-21-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Dan Studebaker

Heritage used to collect taxes in Texas, New York, and California because they have offices in those locations.

Looking at the rules from their National 2014 auction Rule 25 states that

"Lots delivered to you, or your representative in the States of Texas, California, New York or other states where the auction may be held, are subject to all applicable state and local taxes...."

However in their May 2015 Auction Rule 25 has been changed to

"Lots delivered to you, or your representative are subject to all applicable state and local taxes....
Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Dan Bl@u

This happened to me yesterday for the first time on eBay. I bought a high-dollar item from a seller in Utah and it automatically added NC sales tax. Our legislature has been pushing this lately too. I was able to find the same item from a different eBay store that didn't add the sales tax, so I just bought it there instead. But it seems like the sales-tax train is picking up steam pretty quickly.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Brad Pencil

Yeah it sucks and I know its an evil that we all have to pay (at some point) but it just eats at the price when you are talking almost 30% added to what ever your final total is.

Now I know you can just say well bid less but then there is a competitive advantage for someone that does not have to pay the sales tax versus people that do (if that makes sense).

Last edited by pencil1974; 05-21-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Sales Tax

Curious if this is as a result of all states getting caught up on this and will be coming soon to an REA, Goodwin, Goldin, etc theater near you? Did anyone else get the Heritage letter for June 1st or just Illinois residents? Reason I ask is I haven't received any other AH notification of Sales Tax but HA. Did HA build a brick and mortar location here which is driving this now?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

This recent one, i have 0 in sales tax in GA.
But i found this on the site:
Sales Tax Information

Lots delivered to you, or your representative are subject to all applicable state and local taxes, unless appropriate permits are on file with Auctioneer. Bidder agrees to pay Auctioneer the actual amount of tax due in the event that sales tax is not properly collected due to: 1) an expired, inaccurate, or inappropriate tax certificate or declaration, 2) an incorrect interpretation of the applicable statute, 3) or any other reason. The appropriate form or certificate must be on file at and verified by Auctioneer five days prior to Auction, or tax must be paid; only if such form or certificate is received by Auctioneer within 4 days after the Auction can a refund of tax paid be made. Lots from different Auctions may not be aggregated for sales tax purposes.

Note: You will be billed for sales tax unless you have the appropriate documentation on file at and verified by Heritage five days prior to the auction. This documentation consists of a Resale Form (download now) and a legible copy of your state issued license or permit issued in your name and/ or the name of the business for an appropriately related category of merchandise. If you do not have this documentation on file with Heritage, you have 14 days from the date of the sale to complete the form and send/fax a copy of your license or permit to receive a refund for the tax. Lots from different Auctions may not be aggregated for sales tax purposes.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM

Default Sales Tax

RE: TAXMAN
Having the item ship to a friend in another state, I think won't accomplish anything! When the card is "picked up" by the purchaser and brought into Illinois, a USE TAX is then due the state same rate as the sales tax, NO ESCAPE!
Old 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post

Got to pay your taxes.
Chris, I can tell that you aren't an American.