NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2015, 08:13 AM
pete ullman

Default What Fakes have you been duped by?

As Leon recently stated...if you stay in the hobby long enough...you will buy a fake/altered card at some point."

I have been in this glorious hobby over 30 yrs...and I have been the victim a few times.

1st time...as a child with my dad at a card show was sold a fake Mayo cut plug card of lave cross. Back not black...but I had no idea!!!!!

2nd time...in college...in Delaware...bought a fake fro joy sheet at a local card shop...I had no idea as to the extent of fakes of these at the time.

3rd time...I bought a really bad T3 off ebay that even had the back photocopied and pasted on the back...I must have been drunk when I made that purchase??!?!

How about y'all...what got you????
Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think I have lost count but my first bad card was from ebay about 15 yrs ago. I still have it, a fake D304 Lajoie. I have more I might share later. I am a slow learner.

Last edited by Leon; 02-11-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Not a big one, but when I first got back into collecting some years back I stupidly bought an out of focus T206 common off ebay from a seller who "didn't know much about baseball cards." It of course turned out to be more fake than the $9 bill I should have paid him with. Disgusted with myself, I just ate the loss, as a $9 lesson learned.

I have previously in my youth learned other non-baseball card lessons, which cost much more than $9, so overall this one was not too bad!
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-11-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Ben North

Bought a $120 89 Fleer Bill Ripken White Out version. Seller sold around 10 of them on eBay and several of them were being graded as real by PSA & Beckett. Of course I bought mine from the seller through the mail with cash and it was altered(fake).

I have also bought my share of missing color rare error cards that turned out to be altered garbage.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM

I sadly just realized my 63 Rose rookie was fake. Not even a good one. No clue how I didn't spot it as fake right off the bat ... but my excuse is that I got it so many years ago I didn't know what I was doing. (Still ... it's so bad I can't even live with that excuse.)

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Tony Ooten

Since I got back in about 6 years ago, these two (neither are pre-war):

I have a 48/49 Leaf Musial that I owned for over two years before I started to suspect it may be a reprint http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158211 I still don't know for sure, and I probably don't want to know since I paid a lot of money (for me anyway) for it. If I ever send any cards in for grading, I'll let this one go along to see what the graders think.

I also have a 40 playball Paul Waner that didn't raise any suspicions when I pulled it from the mailing envelope, but the last time I looked at it, it did look fishy. Sure enough, I compared the back to a graded copy on ebay. The text on the back was the same but didn't have the same formatting. Lines of text ended with different words.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Robert Williams

1948 Leaf Satchell Paige. Looked real to me.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Zach

1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson. I bought it off ebay years ago and last year I was really starting to wonder about it's authenticity. I'm not familiar with the set and I couldn't tell for sure so I sent it to SGC and it came back as fake.

I don't even know how much I spent on it originally... which is probably a good thing.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Bought a crappy modern lazer printing of what I thought was a 1909 Pirates postcard. Got it in hand, saw how fuzzy the lettering was and knew I'd been had.

Smelled it too of course, just in case.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've bought a couple of large cardboard ads (advertised as period) featuring prewar baseball players, one for Draper and Maynard (a counterfeit of this Athletics panel: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2010/1718.html and one for Coca Cola (as seen here: http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/313323). I actually bought two of the Coke ones, but now I'm pretty sure no such sign ever existed except as a recent fantasy piece. They actually look pretty good, but each was a case of my knowing that someone was getting suckered on the deal and just being incorrect about who it was.

I also paid more than I care to recall for a Sport Kings Jim Thorpe reprint and a Wayne Gretzky rookie back in about 2002.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
As Leon recently stated...if you stay in the hobby long enough...you will buy a fake/altered card at some point."

I have been in this glorious hobby over 30 yrs...and I have been the victim a few times.

1st time...as a child with my dad at a card show was sold a fake Mayo cut plug card of lave cross. Back not black...but I had no idea!!!!!

2nd time...in college...in Delaware...bought a fake fro joy sheet at a local card shop...I had no idea as to the extent of fakes of these at the time.

3rd time...I bought a really bad T3 off ebay that even had the back photocopied and pasted on the back...I must have been drunk when I made that purchase??!?!

How about y'all...what got you????
My $1500 mistake wasn't fake but altered and was sitting in a BVG 5 holder. I cracked it and sent to PSA only to find that someone had removed the number. ugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bresnahan17psaAfront.jpg (76.2 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg Bresnahan17psaAback.jpg (76.4 KB, 409 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Jeff Francis

This wasn't fake, but was tricked/Stupid for not researching before the purchase.

I had a customer call me asking if I was interested in a Jackie Robinson 1946 Montreal Royals Team Signed Baseball. I obviously was and thought there was a good chance it was real considering I am less then a hour from Montreal. I was kind of busy when they cam in, I just checked to see if it was a International League ball and I check to make sure it was real signatures.... I didn't even think to check the other players on the ball.... Turns out there was a Jack Robinson who played in the Minors for the Yankees (Newark Bears) who signed very similar to the Jackie Robinson.
It wasn't fake, Just not what I thought I was buying. I am unsure if the customer even knew, but i certainly made a mistake not taking the time to research it more before I bought it....