NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default Chances for Re-grading at SGC

I have almost never gone for a grade review or even a cross-over so I am wondering: Taking a guess, and assuming what seems like a fairly good shot, what percentage of re-grades (in positive direction) do you seem to get at SGC? Is it always more likely if it's a crossover because they don't have to admit an "error"?

And for same reason--is it not wise to submit more than one at time, as they are unlikely to admit more than one error even if you send in a half dozen good candidates?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

PSA breakouts, I have had grades stay same or up 1. Of course I'm cautious of the cards I send.
BVG breakouts, 20% of time grade stays the same, other 80% the grade has dropped 1.

I tried 1 regrade but was unsuccessful.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Ronald Goldberg

In the last 5 years I have submitted about 3,000 cards to SGC, about 2,000 being crossovers from PSA. FWIW, my experience has been the following:

Crossovers from PSA holders, depending on the type of card, run about 60% crossing at the same grade, 10% half point bumps, 2% full point bump. Over a quarter of the cards did not crossover. Either those cards did not meet SGC standards, showed evidence of trimming, or SGC could not see the edges in the holder sufficiently to give a grade. The vast majority were not crossed for the first reason.

SGC cards with the old holders and labels (non guaranteed cards) crossed over at the same grade about 50% of the time, and I cannot recall ever getting a bump in grade. SGC cards with current holders and labels (guaranteed cards) received very few bumps. Note that these were SGC 60 and higher where SGC has already had grades reflecting a half point, SGC 70,80,86,92. I would expect submitting lower graded cards, SGC 50 and below, would result in more bumps because half grades were not always available until recently at these levels.

If your question is alluding to reviews and not crossovers, I would expect a very low rate of bumps. You are in fact asking SGC if they under graded the card. You would probably have more success getting cards reviewed in person where you could lobby for your position. Again, most of your successes will come with lower graded cards where the half point bump didnt exist before.

I am somewhat bothered by the fact that you mentioned you had a group of cards that you thought should be bumped. I am not aware that you have any special expertise in grading cards. I could be wrong.

I would also mention, that the times i have felt a card was under graded by SGC, I broke the cards out and resubmitted them at a later date. I was always amazed that SGC graded them right at the same grade as before. I know many will give exceptions, but that has been my experience.

Remember the axiom, that over time, every card will eventually reside in the highest grade holder possible. In other words, assume that any card you buy has already been reviewed and resubmitted by the previous owners who like you want higher grades.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Remember the axiom, that over time, every card will eventually reside in the highest grade holder possible. In other words, assume that any card you buy has already been reviewed and resubmitted by the previous owners who like you want higher grades.
I agree with everything but this. Sometimes it is not cost feasible to crack cards out and pay the company again to grade the same card again. Sure, I have had cards that I thought were undergraded (same as everyone else, I am sure). Instead, I just put them up for sale, make a comment that the card appears to be undergraded and move on. Everyone has eyes, and I include big scans. They get bid up to where they need to be (not always, but usually).
Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I agree with everything but this. Sometimes it is not cost feasible to crack cards out and pay the company again to grade the same card again. Sure, I have had cards that I thought were undergraded (same as everyone else, I am sure). Instead, I just put them up for sale, make a comment that the card appears to be undergraded and move on. Everyone has eyes, and I include big scans. They get bid up to where they need to be (not always, but usually).
An axiom is a premise or starting point of reasoning. Yes, it is most likely that not every single card will be graded over and over again. Sheesh.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Greg Mitchell

Sorry to ask again but didn't get much specific feedback--what are odds of getting even a small bump in submitting mid-grade (and seemingly, I say seemingly, ungraded) cards to SGC for review, not crossover? What's your experience? One in five or one in ten or one in 50?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Sorry to ask again but didn't get much specific feedback--what are odds of getting even a small bump in submitting mid-grade (and seemingly, I say seemingly, ungraded) cards to SGC for review, not crossover? What's your experience? One in five or one in ten or one in 50?
My guess is about a 20% review bump of a half grade. I haven't done many crossovers so don't know on those. But I only get cards reviewed that are high end for the grade. I haven't done it too often.