NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Patrick N.

Default 1960 Pirates v. Yanks Game 7 MLB Network 8pm

Just a friendly reminder that this game is being shown on TV tonight...Enjoy
Old 12-15-2010, 11:12 AM

The game is quite enjoyable. I went to the wall on October 13, the Byham Theater on November 13 and the premier at the Loew's Waterfront on December 13. Unfortunately, I will not see the cable premier tonight because I will be at the Consol Energy Center for a Penguins game.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Call it a hunch, but I'm betting on the Pirates
Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Yogi Berra's grudge......

towards Yankee pitcher Jim Coates.

Coates replaced Shantz in the bottom of the 8th inning and was one out away from ending the inning. Then, a lapse by Coates allowed
the Pirates to keep their inning alive. After stopping Roberto Clemente's ground ball, 1st baseman Skowron turned and prepared to throw
to Coates covering 1st base, but Coates, wasn't there since he stopped midway to 1st base. Skowron was forced to hold onto the ball,
and Virdon scored to cut the Yankee lead to 7–6. Hal Smith followed with a 3-run home run to give the Pirates a 9–7 lead. Ralph Terry
relieved Coates and got the last out.

I read that Berra has never forgiven Coates for not being at 1st base for that crucial play. Yogi blames Coates for the 1960 W.S. loss. Not
Mazeroski....who Berra (in Left Field) in the 9th inning watched Maz's HR sail over him into the stands.

Check it out when you watch this 7th game.

TED Z
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wow...never heard that about Yogi. What I have heard was that most players, including Mantle and Ford, blamed Stengel for not pitching Ford 3 times in the series. That decision, and the loss of course, were the final straw that spelled the end for Stengel.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

Coates replaced Shantz in the bottom of the 8th inning and was one out away from ending the inning. Then, a lapse by Coates allowed
the Pirates to keep their inning alive. After stopping Roberto Clemente's ground ball, 1st baseman Skowron turned and prepared to throw
to Coates covering 1st base, but Coates, wasn't there since he stopped midway to 1st base. Skowron was forced to hold onto the ball,
and Virdon scored to cut the Yankee lead to 7–6. Hal Smith followed with a 3-run home run to give the Pirates a 9–7 lead. Ralph Terry

I read that Berra has never forgiven Coates for not being at 1st base for that crucial play. Yogi blames Coates for the 1960 W.S. loss. Not
Mazeroski....who Berra (in Left Field) in the 9th inning watched Maz's HR sail over him into the stands.

TED Z
Looked to me like there was no way Coates could have gotten Clemente out..he also didn't appear to have stopped midway between the mound and first. Coates is getting a raw deal.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Rob Miller

How did Mantle get back to 1B?!?!?!? Wow, that should have been a game ending DP.

Edited to add: I agree that Mantle should have got in a rundown...we got lucky there!

Last edited by Robextend; 12-15-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Larry

I know I'm a little late chiming in with this one, but I thought it was such a thrill to see Mantle, Berra, Maris and Clemente (didn't remember that Clemente literally seemed to step in the bucket, but still kept his head and hands back--what a hitter!) in action again (I used to like the Yankees when I was a kid, in the pre-Steinbrenner era, and was a huge Mantle and Maris fan). Nice to see Mickey get three hits and two ribbies, even in the loss. Seems the Pirates were a team of destiny, based on Virdon's comments in the course of the telecast, and the manner in which the tide turned in Pittsburgh's favor in this one!
Was also really impressed to hear that Mantle had hit one out earlier in the series over the 436-foot marker to the opposite field!!! 450-460 feet to the opposite field??? My God, what a monster he was!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

TED Z

Ted,

I don't think Coates beats Clemente to the bag even if he did go straight to it. Clemente was there before Skowron could even toss it.

Cy
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy2009 View Post
Ted,

I don't think Coates beats Clemente to the bag even if he did go straight to it. Clemente was there before Skowron could even toss it.

Cy
Exactly...I had never heard about this until Ted's post so I don't know how prevalent the feeling is that Coates should have gotten him (I see that part of Ted's post is straight from wikipedia), and I wonder if now that everyone has actually seen the play that history will make a correction, and Yogi will make an apology.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
David McDonald

I was able to catch the last three innings this afternoon. What a pleasure it was to watch a ballgame just like I used to a half-century ago, glorious black-and-white, Mel Allen at the mike, Moose Skowron and Harvey Haddix in the glory of their times, no thundersticks or exploding scoreboards just the murmur of the crowd, no Tim McCarver. (I have a feeling that your average sportsfan of today without the old time connection would be bored silly by this broadcast). Only thing missing was the Ballantine Beer ads. Boy, how did we ever live without instant replay in those prehistoric times! What was particularly delightful was Bob Costas' panel of old players and their comments. I know that the game is available on DVD but do any of you out in Net54 Land know if the show as broadcasted today with the between-the-innings conversations with Dick Groat, Bobby Richardson etc plus the great locker room interviews (gotta love Gino Cimoli) would be included on the DVD? A heavenward tip of the cap to Bing Crosby for making it all possible.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM

An interesting bit of trivia about this game no one struck out on either team.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Rob Miller

Rocky Nelson just hit a 2 run bomb....
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
John

Rocky had a strange batting stance.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Dan Bretta

I am excited for the chance to get to see Bobby Shantz pitch. Too bad Dick Stuart didn't play in this game.