NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Paul

Default REA: 4 Planks & 5 Magies

Can these two t206 "rarities" really be that "rare" if a single auction house can have 4 Planks and 5 Magies running in the same auction? Or is it more a function of (a) price point; and (b) if you're going to sell one you're holding out until REA?

Also, if you're consigning a Plank and a Magie, wouldn't you rather hold out for an auction where you're not competing with 3 or 4 other sellers? Or is REA and/or those cards immune from typical supply/demand market forces?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Michael C

If you own one of those cards you are clearly an advanced collector and know that REA is the Rolls Royce of auctions. Therefore if you own one, you would want to sell it in their annual auction.

It is possible the economic downturn has impacted the holders of those cards and they are forced to sell now no matter what.

I wonder what REA's policy is about telling other consignors that there are duplicate items in the auction.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
I wonder what REA's policy is about telling other consignors that there are duplicate items in the auction.
With my consignments (basketball, not baseball), he couldn't be specific, but gave me a pretty good idea of what he had, at that time, that I'd be competing against. But that's no guarantee, because he may have received consignments anytime after I sent my stuff in.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Seth

I'd be interested to see if anyone has an opinion on this, but I might guess that, say, three Planks would bring a better price on each card than just one as buyers bid up to their limit on one card and then move on to the next best condition example that they can afford. I often notice on ebay that if a lot of five rare cards comes at once, they can sell for more than a single example from the same set.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Rob told me exactly what other Planks were going to be in the auction when he made his pitch. He also gave me a preview of the writeup and asked me for my input on changes. I, of course, deferred to his wisdom. He truly is a standup guy in a hobby that has less and less each passing year.

Side note on Magies: as the pop report proves, they aren't THAT rare. Almost the same numbers graded as o'hara and demmitt.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Barry Sloate

JP- you bailed out on that Plank in like the blink of an eye. I thought you really loved it.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbernard View Post
I'd be interested to see if anyone has an opinion on this, but I might guess that, say, three Planks would bring a better price on each card than just one as buyers bid up to their limit on one card and then move on to the next best condition example that they can afford. I often notice on ebay that if a lot of five rare cards comes at once, they can sell for more than a single example from the same set.
Seth- you are right on. That's what is happening with the 3 Demmitts on REA.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM

I see 4 Demmitts. I'm lead bidder on one and can't see them going too much higher from here.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Clayton

I have a feeling you're right about holding out to auction them off with REA.They seem to have an excellent reputation,and have the buyers who pay top $$ for items participating in their auctions.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

not rare.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 AM
David

Default The risk of consigning REA Plank

It looks like the altered Plank went for $16k after just recently selling for $20k. REA should not have over-packed the auction with a bunch of Planks and Magies. Maybe a semi annual action would have helped.

Tough loss for the consigner...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Johnny S

Sometimes the flip flops.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I don't know JP but I don't see how anyone can buy a card like that in a major auction a few months earlier only to consign it to another major auction and expect to do well. Sorry it turned out that way for JP.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Joann

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
I don't know JP but I don't see how anyone can buy a card like that in a major auction a few months earlier only to consign it to another major auction and expect to do well. Sorry it turned out that way for JP.
I agree with this completely. Whenever you win any auction, you have to keep in mind that you were willing to pay more for that item than anyone else. So unless there are certain circumstances - lot break-up potential, etc - you should probably assume that no one will be willing to pay more for the same thing in the immediate future.

It could happen, but I wouldn't assume so. But it is unfortunate for JP. Shoot.

Joann

Last edited by jmk59; 05-02-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBaseball View Post
It looks like the altered Plank went for $16k after just recently selling for $20k. REA should not have over-packed the auction with a bunch of Planks and Magies. Maybe a semi annual action would have helped.

Tough loss for the consigner...
The restored Plank that sold in Legendary was in REA's auction? Really?

Last edited by Rob D.; 05-02-2010 at 11:11 AM.