NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Any Idea of Why This Went So Cheaply?

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=16455

http://www.hickoksports.com/images/radbourn_charles.jpg
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Is $1500 + juice for a cabinet of a guy who may or may not be Radbourn cheap?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Barry Sloate

I wasn't convinced it was Hoss Radbourne. Maybe Mark F. can comment further.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default might have been him....

It might have been him, I am not a photo expert by any stretch, but it looks like another guy in a suit to me . Even if it is him!!

Last edited by Leon; 12-10-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Mark

I doubt that it's him. I would need a higher res scan of the photo in question to prove it. If anyone has one - please post. Maybe the folks at Huggins and Scott will help us out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoss Radbourne zz.jpg (74.5 KB, 881 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 12-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Am I imagining it or are the noses entirely different?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
The other question is why did SGC authenticate it?
Mark - as you know, I recently submitted a team RPPC to SGC for slabbing with a notation of who was in it. Even knowing the player played for the team in the photo in the year of the photo and looked like the player in the photo and you confirmed the ID, they were very reluctant to slab it as such, until I provided them with further evidence. Unless I'm missing something, this seems to simply be a cabinet of a guy, with no reason to assume he's a baseball player; if they had the policies in place they were using for my submission when this one was submitted, I don't see any way this gets slabbed like that.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Mark

OK - I figured out how to see the H&G photo in Hi-res.

The left ears are similar (more so than I expected) - but they are different - it's not that hard to see. There are other differences (like the nose as pointed out above). The cabinet is not Radbourne.

And yes - why did SGC authenticate this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16455_bodie_cabinet_radbourn.jpg (9.2 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpg Hoss Radbourne zz.jpg (38.3 KB, 854 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 12-10-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:13 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

"...while a reverse pencil notation, which confirms the hurler’s identity, factors into the technical assessment."

Such a pencil notation should never be used to confirm identity, only provide further support for what had already been determined. Years ago in the Copeland sale at Sotheby's there was a purported cabinet of Henry Chadwick, an ID confirmed by his alleged autograph on the verso. The image bore as much resemble to Chadwick as this one does to Radbourn (i.e., highly dubious) and needless to say it was later shown to not be him.

Absent further corroborating information not disclosed in the lot description, I think it was very irresponsible of Huggins & Scott to identify this image as being as being of Radbourn. And I think the low price is a reflection of the market's skeptism it is him.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM
GaryPassamonte

Mark,
I agree completely with you regarding the " Barnes " CdV. It is not Ross Barnes.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Mark did a great job proving this image not to be Radbourn. I'm not sure who sportscardtheory is, but I believe he should have looked at the evidence carefully before challenging Mark.
As for Huggins and Scott, as soon as it was pointed out that the image was not Radbourn they called and cancelled the sale. Well done guys!
This lot had been part of the Halper collection and apparently Barry believed it was Radbourn. Too bad he didn't have someone as sharp as Mark checking his items.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Mark did a great job proving this image not to be Radbourn. I'm not sure who sportscardtheory is, but I believe he should have looked at the evidence carefully before challenging Mark.
As for Huggins and Scott, as soon as it was pointed out that the image was not Radbourn they called and cancelled the sale. Well done guys!
This lot had been part of the Halper collection and apparently Barry believed it was Radbourn. Too bad he didn't have someone as sharp as Mark checking his items.
All I said was it looks like the same guy... not at all a challenge. I think you take yourself and this Mark dude a LITTLE too seriously.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 12-11-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
All I said was it looks like the same guy... not at all a challenge. I think you take yourself and this Mark dude a LITTLE too seriously.
That's not what you said. Your post omitted the "looks like" part. Your exact quote was: "That's the same person."

Had you said, "Gee, that looks like the same person.", then Mark's response would have been different.

And no, Net54 isn't some kind of "special club." Everyone can post, but you have to learn that some posters have special areas of expertise. In this case, Mark is well know and well respected in the field of vintage photo identification. (Although, I think he has a bit of an ear fetish. I'm just saying...) And you challenged him in his area of expertise.

You're not a new member, by any means, but you don't post often, so you have to recognize that this isn't your normal message board. The members here are ALL a little fanatical about something or other.

Last edited by Jim VB; 12-11-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Josh K.

Is it just my computer or did six pages of this thread just disappear?