NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Brian Drent grades GEM MINT 10 for integrity

Recently Mr. Drent, the owner of Mile High Auction House, had unknowingly received a consignment that was obtained through larcenous means. When Mr. Drent was contacted regarding this stolen merchandise he was obviously shocked, but too his credit he acted swiftly and simply wanted to see the evidence that the merchandise in question was actually stolen. After reviewing the proof the merchandise was stolen, Mr. Drent simply said "I am returning your card because it's the right thing to do". In a time when certain Auction Houses are being accused of unethical practices, it's nice to know at least one Auction House owner stands up and does the right thing for one of it's hobby members. I would also like to make it clear that the actual consignor was not the individual that stole the card, but happened to purchase the card not knowing it was stolen property.

This is a happy ending to a recent theft.

Dan Mckee
Old 11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Clayton

Default Good job Mr.Drent!!!!!!!!

Thank you for doing the right thing.Did the victim of this theft get their card(or cards?)back?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Bobby Binder

Brian IMPO is a stand up guy and trustworthy.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Eric Bea.chley

When confronted with evidence of theft, what do the owners of other Auction Houses usually do? Do they still attempt to sell it? Wouldn't that be fencing stolen goods?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:12 PM

I am not a lawyer but I think Brian checked into the legal aspects and was under absolutely no legal obligation to return the card to the rightful owner. Remember, doing that put the consignor out who was also an innocent bystandard in this mess. I don't want to speak for Brian but I think he told me that he consulted his lawyer. Maybe Brian can chime in here to confirm. Dan.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I guess the other alternative would be to give it to the proper authorities.

I'm sure that in this case, the rightful owner got his card back. But it could be a risky move by MileHigh as the theft victim may no longer be the legal owner. If he received insurance proceeds, the insurance company is the owner. If purchased from a Police Auction that filed proper notices, the Consignor is the rightful owner. Etc, etc.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:45 PM

This is not from the REA theft and yes it was graded but reholdered after the theft and no insurance was involved. Dan.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my understanding.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
When confronted with evidence of theft, what do the owners of other Auction Houses usually do? Do they still attempt to sell it? Wouldn't that be fencing stolen goods?
My understanding is that there can never be a clear title to stolen goods if the legal owner doesn't get them back. That being said I think (key word is 'think") there is precedence for when a stolen item is known about by the rightful owners, and they don't act on it in a timely manner, then there is some limitation set for recovery.

I think Brian did the right thing but I would have thought the item would have gone back to the consignor and the person it was stolen from would go to the consignor to get it back. I definitely would have consulted a lawyer, as it appears Brian did. Kudo's to him!!

And to answer the question above. I am fairly certain that knowingly selling stolen goods is a criminal act.

Last edited by Leon; 11-30-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Rich Klein

Default Do you know

If these are items from the stolen collection that REA blogged about recently. If so; and they are the graded cards; another reason why there are benefits to graded cards

Rich
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM

None of this makes sense to me. But let me say this: I would not be giving him a 10 for anything if it was me who:

- bought a card, not knowing there was any question about it,
- consigned it to Mile High in good faith,
- found out Mile High decided to send it to some other person asserting a claim to it, and
- found out the police consider the card was never stolen ("no crime") to begin with...

I think I'd be giving him a few things, and a "10" ain't one of them...

Anyways, I'm sure the facts as they have been set out here are either incorrect or incomplete.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 11-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.