NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default OT/ I hate magic tape, and cards in contact with tape

I just received a card I bought...

It was in a T card sleeve, in a T card top loader, and then in a Card Saver II. With a bit of magic tape across it.

Golly, guys. When you mail a card, invert one of the holders inside the other, so if the card slides around it will not come in contact with the tape. Here, if the seller had inverted the sleeve, or the little top loader, then the card could not have come in contact with that magic tape.

Once sellers figure that inversion thing out, then QUIT using magic tape. Use regular tape, at least it will peel away easier. Or place a piece of paper across the opening then tape that down, so the card can't come in contact with the tape adhesive. It isn't rocket science, seal up a card as you'd like to open it...

Once sellers get that down, then they need to come up with their own packaging, instead of ripping off USPS Priority boxes and envelopes and using them inside out.... That just drives up the cost for the rest of us.

I save lots of bags and boxes. It drives my family nuts, until Christmas time, when they will sheepishly ask me if I have a box "this" big or "that" big... I like recycling bubble wrap envelopes and the like. I hate magic tape.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Tom Boblitt

amen brother..........I hate tape in general!!!!! I get a single card that someone wraps about 6 pieces of packing tape around the holder to a piece of cardboard. What is that? Why so much tape? UNNECESSARY.....
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Pup6913

I hope I didn't sell them those holders They should know better because of how loose they fit. If the card was an OJ it wouldn't move anywhere because it is thick. I always store my raw T card in their holders with the sleeve opening at the bottom.

When I ship I used a roll of packing tape to wrap a small piece of cardboard around them Actually I put the card in a semi ridgid and tape the holder to one of the sides for stiffining then cardboard with enough tape to secure the board together. Same way I would want a card to show up. Secure!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Dustan Hedlin

Team bags are where it's at. Tape never comes in contact with the card.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Howard Chernick

Frank,

That looks like a card I might have shipped to you. I understand your frustration. I have shipped thousands of cards with magic tape with no complaints. I have also use the regular tape in which a buyer complained it was too hard to get off. I've had buyers complain that they don't want any tape as well as buyers suggest I use tape.

I am open to all suggestions but it's impossible to please 100% of my customers. I try.

Inverting the sleeve is a great suggestion and I will start shipping my cards in that manner. I got so use to putting the card in upright that it never dawned upon me to invert it.

I don't take these complaints as insults, I take them as a learning experience.

I'd like to hear other suggestions as well.

Thank You.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Tom Boblitt

195% agree with Dustan.............team bags ROCK......especially for a single card or the graded card bags will work too.......little piece of cardboard, toploader or semirigid and a team or graded card bag. Might be a couple pennies more but you won't have the damage.

Last edited by autograf; 10-02-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustanh1 View Post
Team bags are where it's at. Tape never comes in contact with the card.
That's what I do. I always use those resealable graded card bags. Even if the card is in a top loader you can still use them and the adhesive won't be anywhere near the card.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Why not just put the card in an envelope raw with no sleave & no top loader. Let see if there's any damage when it arrives to its destination.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Pup6913

Just incase some of the people don't get what I said about the holders and how the cards are put in, here are some pics of a card I store in my raw section. This is a great way to ship the cards also. I came up with this after my 4 yr old took an interest in my cards especially the Cobb which she added a new crease to an already creased up card just before it went to SGC

I am sure I was not the first to think of this but it works great

Put the card in the sleeve upsidedown
Put the card in the holder rightside up(not sideways either guys)
Add small piece of tape to top and it is locked in there with no tape to touch the card at all.

If you are concerened with the bottom touching the holder I suggest double sleeving which will cost you more with these holders. I have used regular penny sleves and the vintage card sleeves to do this before and they fit great in a regular toploader. Put the card in the normal penny sleeve and then slide the vintage card penny sleeve over the top and put into the toploader. Fits good enough it does'nt need tape, but a piece could prevent problems!

I hope this ramble has helped someone out there in Net54 Land
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shipped.jpg (81.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg shipped 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 145 views)