NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Chris

Default Coupon Type 1: Paper Theory

I struggle with the argument against considering T213-1 part of the T206 family. I won't reiterate all the points on why they should be in, but rather the two reasons they are not:

1.) Cause Burdick said so (though I think he simply lumped them in a series because of subsequent "Coupon" issues. I contend that if Sweet Caporal issued slightly different series' a few years later they would befall the same fate.)

2.) They are thinner. Well, we all know that (mis)classification on this basis is not sound because of American Beauty cards, which are undeniably T206.

To my point: Coupon cards were the "PallMall's" or "USA Gold's" of ATC brands; the cheapies in the product line. Three things point to this:

A.) They were primarily sold in LA (rural south); probably the poorest areas in the US at the time;
B.) The relative "bland"-ness and simplicity of the back design relative to other T206's;
C.) Thinner paper stock for the premiums (cards) was used.

Think about the "toy or prize" in a kid's frozen dinner, cereal box or Happy Meal: the "better" the product, the nicer the premium inside...
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Tim

I don't think the Coupons should be considered part of the T206 set for two reasons.

1) Burdick classified them as something different. Unless you're going to create a new classification system that's the way it is.

2) ATC and American Litho had a set of standards that they did not deviate from when printing the T206 issue. Several subsequent sets used the same images for different products but were not part of the T206 issue. They were a different project and had their own set of standards. Paper stock, team and player description color, etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Chris

I tire of the "cause Burdick said so" argument. Get past what the series is named, or by who, and get it right.

ATC had standards which they didn't deviate from? Of course SIZE of their cards wasn't one of these standards. Btw, are these standards you speak of found in Burdick's catalogue or are they your tests for t206?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Tim

1) I don't know the standards Burdick used thus I can't question them.

2) These are my observations and my opinion. Yes they deviated on the size of the cards with the American Beauty series but given the timeline and players included it's evident (to me) that these are part of the same group. This is all just my opinion, maybe shared by others, maybe not.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Frank Wakefield

I think you misunderstand the origins of Coupon Cigarettes. Duke's Trust was the end result of capitalism gone wild. We all think we support capitalism. Left to its own, the end result would be a monopoly. Without a bit of regulation the big 3 auto companies of my youth would have banged it out until one survived, then that survivor would have a monopoly. Duke started taking over other cigarette producers. Coupon Cigarettes happened to be the name of the company down Louisiana way (can't you hear Corky Laing banging away) that Duke took over. Those ATC brands with which we're all familiar (eg Piedmont, Cycle, "Sweet Caporal", "American Beauty"... ) these were regional brands. These brands were where they were, and had a market, before they were acquired by the ATC. Duke's outfit didn't decide in 1909 to make a lesser quality cigarette, call it Coupon, and sell it down south...

And while similar to T206 cards in design, I'm satisfied and content with Mr. Burdick's separation of the Coupon cards from T206. (not from "other" T206)

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-04-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

A blind person can tell the difference between a T213-1 and the other 16 T206 brands.

The paper stock is all I need to see/feel for me to know it is not the same series.

Its a separate set that has for many years been collected separately.

No need to change the ACC#, Burdick got it right IMO.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Barry Arnold

Default coupon 1

If someone were willing and capable of creating a new classification system to replace Burdick's, making the Coupon 1 part of whatever T206s are to be called makes sense to me. The arguments for the inclusion of Coupon 1
have been delineated elsewhere numerous times (granted arguments against
have been delineated as well).
The greater issue is convincing any of us to redo the quite masterful work of Burdick which took a great many years of his life ,contributing in part to his
arthritic exhaustion and death some 2 months or so after completion of the task.
Any takers?!

best,
barry