NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-26-2022, 06:34 PM
Don

Default 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Babe Ruth PSA 4 on Goldin

Good luck with bidding!

https://goldin.co/item/1916-m101-spo...a-vg-ex-4c4edi

Old 12-26-2022, 07:13 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Very off center but otherwise nice--why are you posting this?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:14 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Very off center but otherwise nice--why are you posting this?

Will be a fun auction to track. Did I break a rule?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:18 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

No, but it is odd to see people post about lots in live auctions unless it is theirs; is this yours?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
Because there are a thousand different items for sale in auctions that end every week. Even cool ones don't need threads until they've been purchased.

There isn't an "outing an auction" rule, mainly just an expectation. Many people in the market for this card would be angry at you for bringing even more visibility to it, giving people a reason to think they will no longer get a steal or even fair market for it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:47 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

There's an SGC 7 coming up in Heritage that would be more interesting.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:18 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Because there are a thousand different items for sale in auctions that end every week. Even cool ones don't need threads until they've been purchased.

There isn't an "outing an auction" rule, mainly just an expectation. Many people in the market for this card would be angry at you for bringing even more visibility to it, giving people a reason to think they will no longer get a steal or even fair market for it.

Ah, okay.

Didn’t mean to cross that boundary. I’m generally clueless on this stuff.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:30 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Ah, okay.

Didn’t mean to cross that boundary. I’m generally clueless on this stuff.
I would not worry about it. If they did not complain they would feel the day is lost. This is a card in a major action that everyone here looks at. You did not 'out' anything. Pass out some bran muffins and Drano enemas and everyone will be fine.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-26-2022, 08:58 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:

Anyone angry over an auction like this being "outed" needs to get a clue. This is a major card being auctioned by one of the largest auction houses. There is absolutely zero chance of this card flying under the radar.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:40 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
There is absolutely zero chance of this card flying under the radar.
That’s not true at all.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:12 PM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:

Just for the record, no one & I mean NO ONE, is going to steal a Ruth rookie. Impossible. Posting this card on the board means absolutely nothing because anyone capable of purchasing it, is well aware that it is up for auction.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:01 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I had a deep wistful feeling when I saw this post. Many moons ago back in Full Count days I bought from Lew Lipset a raw Ruth rookie, which was subsequently graded a 5 by Derek Grady when he was chief grader at SGC. Lew's price: $4,750. Long gone, of course.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:35 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
. Did I break a rule?
Yes, sort of….

There’s three unwritten rules about auctions that I live by:

1) Never “out” an auction that’s live and in progress. The people currently bidding don’t need or want any other competition.

2) Never brag about where you found a particular deal, be it a little-known auction site, web page, physical store/location, etc. If you tell everyone where you found a steal, someone else will use that knowledge to steal it next time.

3) Don’t keep upping the bid every five minutes with days left in the auction. Figure out what your max bid is and make your max bid in the closing minute. Bidding items up over several days doesn’t really drive determined buyers away.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Again, don't worry about it. Truth is, if you think about it realistically, no matter what you do, you end up ticking somebody off. By not pointing out the auction you do a disservice to other collectors possibly looking to find a particular card, that otherwise may not have been aware of it. It is almost comical how when you see people initially coming on here that others will jump in to welcome them and tell them how lucky they are to find this site and how much information and help they'll be able to get from everyone on here that will gladly share their knowledge and expertise. And then you'll discover that some of that is nothing but bull$hit!!! Truth be known, many collectors, dealers, and others do not want to share any info or knowledge with others that could possibly impact their being able to get a deal or a steal on something that they want, or to be able to find some rare item they want for themselves.

For example, the supposed unwritten rule about not outing a current auction, may well be of benefit to those who found it and are bidding on it, which is usually but one very small group of people, at most. Meanwhile, by not passing the word along about a great card up for auction, it doesn't potentially help other collectors who actually may be interested in that particular card or item themselves. And there are a ton of collectors on here so that the chance that even one person would possibly benefit from learning about a card/item up for sale that they otherwise wouldn't have known about is pretty darn good. Also, the person who consigned for sale the particular card/item in question could potentially benefit as a result of additional bidders, and there are a ton of people on Net54 who have, are now, and/or will be consigning items for sale/auction in the future. And of course, the AH/consignee can also possibly benefit from having more potential bidders, and once again, we have many AH/consignee owners and workers that are members on here as well.

So isn't that somewhat interesting that by following this one, supposed, Net54 unwritten rule about "outing" a current auction, you may be doing a disservice to a few, at most, other Net54 members who discovered and were actually bidding on the "outed" sale/auction already, but by not mentioning it, aren't you possibly doing even more of a disservice to potentially even more Net54 members who would like to be bidders as well had they known the card/item was available for sale, and/or the sellers/consignors and the AHs/consignees who are behind and presenting the card/item for sale and are also members here on Net54 as well?

Of course, people coming on Net54 to tout and advertise their own items they are selling are often frowned upon as inappropriate, greedy, self-promoters. It would also lead to some clogging up the site with endless threads pushing their own items, which no one really wants, and isn't fair to the advertisers that actually pay the site owner. The longer you're on here, you'll notice that when others do post about some interesting card/item they did come across that is then still currently up for sale/auction, they'll almost immediately include a disclaimer about how it is not their item being sold, so as to stop the trolls and naysayers that would otherwise attack them unmercifully.

This site and its members are really no different than the public at large. A large part of the community is helpful and unselfish, but just like in real life, there are also many that are..............not so nice, open-minded, honest, or non-hypocritical. The best thing to do is just ignore those not-so-nice members you may unfortunately come across. Good luck, happy New Year, and happy collecting!

Last edited by BobC; 12-27-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:41 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I see no issue with posting this.

I’m sure it was the first item listed in the email from net54 advertising the auction a few days ago.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:27 PM
Don

I am poor, no this isn’t mine
Old 12-26-2022, 07:43 PM
R0b Sm!th

I am not sure what the protocol is, but there does not seem to be many auction announcements on the main page.

That being said, it looks like a pretty nice. The centering is not great, but it does not seem “very off center” to me, but I am not that familiar with the issue. Looks 2/1 or so to me. Maybe between 65/35 or 70/30?
Old 12-28-2022, 08:37 PM
Don

My guess is $650k