NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Is erasing a pencil mark altering a card in a negative manner?
yes 25 13.37%
no 162 86.63%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Erasing a light pencil mark, altering in a negative manner?

Ok, I am poll happy today . For this one I want to remain specific for one situation that is being discussed. Do you think erasing or removing a mark, is altering a card in a negative fashion? Simple question and no caveats and no other stuff collectors can dream up.

Last edited by Leon; 06-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Barry Sloate

Not only don't I think erasing a pencil mark is a big deal, I'm surprised that it is even a major issue. I honestly don't understand why some people feel so strongly that it is. It isn't comparable to ironing out creases or trimming a card. That's my opinion and I'll stick to it.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Not only don't I think erasing a pencil mark is a big deal, I'm surprised that it is even a major issue. I honestly don't understand why some people feel so strongly that it is. It isn't comparable to ironing out creases or trimming a card. That's my opinion and I'll stick to it.

+1
Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I agree Barry. And why is it when we say someone erased a mark others come on and start making crap up....."OH, Well, what if someone ironed out a crease or someone trimmed a card blah blah blah". It's like that can't think of something being done to a card and other things NOT being done. Maybe they need to expand their horizons . Most of us agree that the other forms of altering are unacceptable. We can draw a line but many can't understand that simple concept, so it seems. Maybe I am missing something?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I don't think your poll question should include the word "negatively". Everyone would probably agree that erasure of a pencil mark is "altering" a card.....the question is.....Is it a negative alteration? I vote yes. JMHO dave
I feel that ANY alteration is negative!
Leon..I know you have a little interest in rare coins...would removing a spot or blemish of tarnish to a 1909 s VDB be a negative alteration?? Of course it would. dave
Old 06-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I don't think your poll question should include the word "negatively". Everyone would probably agree that erasure of a pencil mark is "altering" a card.....the question is.....Is it a negative alteration? I vote yes. JMHO dave
I feel that ANY alteration is negative!
Leon..I know you have a little interest in rare coins...would removing a spot or blemish of tarnish to a 1909 s VDB be a negative alteration?? Of course it would. dave
Hi Dave
I feel doing anything at all to affect a card in it's present state is an alteration. That is sort of black and white. I just don't think erasing pencil is a bad alteration. I worded the question very carefully in the poll. Maybe you agree with it now?

Our hobby almost always has a bad, mostly deserved, connotation of the world "alter." This is going against that grain.

btw, Dave, what you said is precisely why I worded it the way I did. It takes into account my definition of erasing a mark...which isn't bad but is technically an alteration.. then too we get into semantics. We both are intending the same definition I believe. I don't think erasing a mark is bad and you do.

and to answer your coin analogy question, I don't know the answer. I would have to see what is commonly acceptable in numismatics and my gut tells me, from you asking the question, it isn't ok to remove tarnish from a coin. Again with the apples and oranges.

Last edited by Leon; 06-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Default altering a card

although I feel as Barry does, what is the big deal....I will say that in my mind if the original card stock is removed or added to, then no good...no re-coloring, adding card stock...or erasing some color near a border area to make a card better centered....I knew a big time dealer who used to carefully erase print marks in white border areas where you could not tell under a 10x Power loupe...that being said, I dont feel those that remove a very light wrinkle or laying down a border edge that has been slightly bumped up is altering because no color or card stock is being added or removed....a slightly bumped edge or very slight wrinkle was not original to the the card...I dont think removing gum, tape or glue residue is a problem unless the originally factory cardboard stock or color has been removed/damaged in the process....I think those who try it are crazy but to each his own....thanks....Bruce Perry

Last edited by theuclakid; 06-03-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Chris

I think it is a matter of degrees and everyone will have their "point" where doing something to a card crosses the line. A small erasure, an "ironed" crease, soaking to remove residue, rebuilding a corner, etc. I have a couple of "rules" that might be good guides as to whether the alteration is acceptable:

1.) Does it serve to conceal or disguise a flaw/defect?
2.) Would knowledge of the alteration be material to a reasonable collector (i.e. would the alteration affect how a typical collector would value the card)?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Dave- suppose I'm cataloguing a group of raw tobacco cards and I decide to first finish my meatball hero. To my great chagrin one of the meatballs falls splat onto my T206 green Cobb. I quickly grab a paper towel and wipe the tomato sauce off the card.

Have I just altered it? Because wiping off the sauce is equivalent to erasing a light pencil mark, in my book.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
David Pierson
Banned

You altered the cobb by meatball. You attempted to diminish the damage by cleaning some off. When the meatball hit the card...the card was altered.....by cleaning it you tried to diminish the damage by furthur alteration, ( even though the result would probably have more eye appeal).
A card was altered when the pencil mark was placed there.
Erasing the pencil mark is trying to diminish the damage.
All alterations of cards are unacceptable to me.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:43 PM

Default reductio ad absurdam

I went to bed with my window open last night and forgot a few cards on the table. It was extremely dusty and windy. This morning I noticed a fine layer of dust on my cards. I took a cloth and wiped the "dirt" off the cards. Am I guilty of altering them?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM

All my cards were altered, because they were taken out of their respective cigarette packs. Then they got finger prints on them and the dust in the atmosphere just made them worthless. I sent a few to be graded, but they were further altered by being put in a plastic prison after being judged, not to mention fondled and molested. After my dog farted on them, they had to be burned.

Oh,
Quote:
"no caveats and no other stuff collectors can dream up".
Never mind or NM (which I always thought meant Near Mint).
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Dave- suppose I'm cataloguing a group of raw tobacco cards and I decide to first finish my meatball hero. To my great chagrin one of the meatballs falls splat onto my T206 green Cobb. I quickly grab a paper towel and wipe the tomato sauce off the card.

Have I just altered it? Because wiping off the sauce is equivalent to erasing a light pencil mark, in my book.

Barry- great analogy. i'm with ya.

Dinner soon?

Actually...maybe we can turn this thread into our next NYC Dinner thread (kidding Leon).
Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 PM

I own a T206 that has the first letter of the player's name written right in front of his last name at the bottom (it's so light you can barely see it unless you're looking for it). It came back a PSA 4 (mk). Without that mark it's at least a 7. It's beautiful. It's a shame really.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Pete Costanzo

Default Erasing marks

Quote:
+2
Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
You altered the cobb by meatball.....the card was altered..... All alterations of cards are unacceptable to me.
Me thinks you have had too much of that Hawaiian sun.

Last edited by atx840; 06-03-2012 at 02:15 PM.