NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 AM
N@te

Default When an Ebay seller backs out...

I've had this happen twice in the last month where the seller didn't like the price and automatically refunded my money.

It just happened to me tonight where I bought something for a few hundred dollars that happened to be worth a few thousand dollars. Someone had then told the seller what value the item was after the auction ended and he then refunded my money and 10 minutes later, relisted the item.

I'm guessing I'm SOL on that, right? There really isn't anything that I can do except complain to Ebay which would result in...well, nothing, correct?

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Bill Gregory

Report the seller. That's just terrible. The seller entered into a legally binding contract with you. I'm sure one of our attorneys can answer this definitively, but I would think this amounts to breach of contract.

Now, will Ebay do anything about this? It's doubtful. But you should try nonetheless.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 AM

Where's he reside at?
Joey bagadonuts & da boys could use a road trip...
We'll let ya know when the jobs done & where ta deposit
the clams.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default I concur with "the stache"...

... you should report the seller. Perhaps even consider suggestion of legal action, especially if buyer & seller reside in different states. Then becomes a federal interstate issue I believe. My very limited general business law knowledge also leads me to believe that consideration was tendered, so that the seller did entered into a legally binding contract with you. But refusal/refunding of that payment might negate the consideration accepted portion of the conract. I also have to believe that eBay has insulated itself (and possibly the seller) with provisions somewhere in all the fine print to the user/member agreement terms that we all agreed to, inorder to use eBay services and products. Just my two cents worth . . .
Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, report them as a non-performing seller. The one I had that did that claimed through Ebays messge system that they had sold the cards on Friday but "didn't have the time to remove them" Before it ended Monday.

They did offer a discount on their other stuff which was all crap. Framed but uncerted autographs and a few modern cards.

They got banned, although not a hard ban since their other stuff was allowed to finish. And of course, they probably rejoined with a new name.

Steve B
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post
... you should report the seller. Perhaps even consider suggestion of legal action, especially if buyer & seller reside in different states. Then becomes a federal interstate issue I believe. My very limited general business law knowledge also leads me to believe that consideration was tendered, so that the seller did entered into a legally binding contract with you. But refusal/refunding of that payment might negate the consideration accepted portion of the conract. I also have to believe that eBay has insulated itself (and possibly the seller) with provisions somewhere in all the fine print to the user/member agreement terms that we all agreed to, inorder to use eBay services and products. Just my two cents worth . . .
And my tiny bit of understanding of law tells me a lot of what you said is correct BUT at the end of the day no way would this be worth the trouble to sue. I would probably disagree with the refund negating the contract unless it was a mutually agreeable refund. I do think it's a legally binding contract but in 15 yrs on ebay I am not sure I have heard of anyone pursue a matter like this (I am sure it's been done but rarely) in the courts. I would report him to ebay and move on.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Please 'out' the seller; without that info we cannot boycott him, and that is probably the best weapon we have with eBay.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Do we devote a thread to it?

I'm not sure if it matter because at the right price, it seems people dont care who they do business with

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I think that's the problem -- the right price will result in a voided auction.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Do we devote a thread to it?

I'm not sure if it matter because at the right price, it seems people dont care who they do business with
Completely agree. If someone wants an item bad enough, they'll pay for it regardless of how many people the seller screws. Just ask that probstein character.

As for last nights issue, I threw the word "attorney" and a few other words I didn't know the meaning of and he decided to honor the original auction. Now, if I get an empty package, we will have problems.

Thank you all. I was just curious to know if there was anything one could do if the seller wasnt cooperating. I was getting tired of this happening once every 2 months. Long story short, nothing can be done and move on, or threaten them :-)

Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
Completely agree. If someone wants an item bad enough, they'll pay for it regardless of how many people the seller screws. Just ask that probstein character.

As for last nights issue, I threw the word "attorney" and a few other words I didn't know the meaning of and he decided to honor the original auction. Now, if I get an empty package, we will have problems.

Thank you all. I was just curious to know if there was anything one could do if the seller wasnt cooperating. I was getting tired of this happening once every 2 months. Long story short, nothing can be done and move on, or threaten them :-)
I think you did exactly the right thing in these circumstances. I have heard of cases where the $$$ involved was enough that it made sense to take legal action (against the seller, not against eBay who, as was alluded to earlier, are well-insulated against this sort of thing). In some cases, such as this one, just the threat of legal action is enough to bring the seller to their senses. In others, perhaps a letter from your attorney would have done the job. In any case, you're left to pursue the matter yourself, as eBay will never FORCE a seller to hand over something they've sold. They won't allow the seller to keep the item AND your money, but as far as eBay is concerned, refunding your money in full, closing the case, and removing/disavowing all knowledge of the original listing is the end of the matter.

I have also heard of isolated cases where the buyer informed a reluctant seller that they would be there shortly to pick the item up in person, and then got on a plane and did so. Obviously the $$$ involved would have to be enough to make sense in those circumstances as well, but you'd be surprised how much less resistance to fulfilling their end of the deal there is when the distance between parties is a couple of feet rather than a couple thousand miles.

I might also add that there are circumstances such as was described in one of the other replies where an item legitimately sells through another channel and was not removed from eBay before it sold there as well (whether due to forgetfulness or bad timing). I've done it myself on multiple occasions, or mistakenly re-listed something that sold previously. That clearly isn't the case here, or else he wouldn't have re-listed it a few minutes later, but just wanted to throw that in there for anyone else who may be reading this thread to say that sometimes mistakes do happen.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Recently happen to me where I won an item. The seller stated it was shipped and it must have gotten lost. After pressuring him, I learned someone had contacted him, and offered 10x than I paid!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
I've had this happen twice in the last month where the seller didn't like the price and automatically refunded money
This bullsh!t happened to me last night, I'm so pissed!! Seller said, the item was sold a few weeks ago... What a liar! I did a search, nothing. I asked for the item number, no response... Whatever!

Al
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM

I'm sure it's easy for you to deduce who it might be that felt like running a cock block move, huh? Anyone you've had a tiff with that wants to get back at you. If you're talking about a game used bat, it's a small industry, for the most part....
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

As Tony Soprano said, "Revenge is a dish best served with cold cuts"
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Let me know when the poster wins the court case for lost profits. Chatboard legal arguments do not a court ordered bank check make, especially when in the real world a federal case starts with finding out how much a lawyer costs.

In the real world the best thing to do is, if founded in fact, to publicize the offending sellers and tamperers so future buyers are aware of their level of hobby ethics.

Of course, collectors will still deal with these people when they have the goods, but that's a major problem with this hobby. Personally, I'm lazy and won't spend the time and effort bidding in an auction where I know the seller may back out. There are better things I can do with my time, such as watching Gilligan's Island or playing Yahtzee.

Last edited by drcy; 06-09-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

If you click 'Find a member', the resulting screen then adds 'by bidder' under the 'Items' search area. I guess ebay missed that.

I was just messing around trying to find what Albert lost out on last night, but only found a couple of $10 boxing cards that ended back on May 27. I guess one of those deals went sideways - sorry to hear that, Albert.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Was a different ebay user name.. Thanks for looking. This is becoming a new fad with sellers.

Albert
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Frankly, I would just neg the seller, put 1's in the DSR's and move on. This happens all of the time with nonpayment from ebay buyers, so I consider this the same thing. I don't think anyone threatens ebay buyers who don't pay with lawsuits.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Frankly, I would just neg the seller, put 1's in the DSR's and move on. This happens all of the time with nonpayment from ebay buyers, so I consider this the same thing. I don't think anyone threatens ebay buyers who don't pay with lawsuits.
can you even neg the seller?????
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
trying to find what Albert lost out on last night
This is problematic when trying to find items that just ended as ebay now hides completed listings from search results for 24 hours after the item ends, and I think this applies when searching users' buying histories as well. If you have the item saved in your watch list or know the item number, you can still pull it up, but it won't turn up in search results for 24 hours, even if you type in the exact title.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
This is problematic when trying to find items that just ended as ebay now hides completed listings from search results for 24 hours after the item ends, and I think this applies when searching users' buying histories as well. If you have the item saved in your watch list or know the item number, you can still pull it up, but it won't turn up in search results for 24 hours, even if you type in the exact title.
This way you can tell if a board member contacted the seller within that window... wmoments after you started a thread about the good deal you just got (had)

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 06-09-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
This way you can tell if a board member contacted the seller with that window when you start a thread about the good deal you just got (had)
At the time I started the thread, the seller had already given me a refund. The whole purpose of the thread was to see if there was anything that could be done about a seller backing out.

In the meantime, some punk reached out to the seller and told him he sold the item for too little.

It's all fine. I don't care about the bat now for multiple reasons, and the person who contacted the seller is clearly clueless. I really just care about the person who contacted the seller, that's all at this point. That was such a crummy thing to do.

Last edited by UnVme7; 06-09-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Alex

I'll play the legal claim game. My vote is going after the third party for intentional interference with a contract.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.