NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Rich

Default Vintage card regrets

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

About ten years ago, I sold several vintage cards from my collection, probably 8 or 9 total, at a time when my daughter was going to college and we needed help paying for her tuition. Long story short, ten years down the road, even though it was the right thing to do at the time, I still regret parting with those cards, as I know that, with the way prices have soared in the past decade with vintage cards, I'll likely never be able to replace them.

I was wondering if other collectors had sold cards over the years that they now regret not having - and probably can't replace - and what those cards were.

For me, my top 3 that I sold and miss are:
• N172 Old Judge Hoss Radbourn
• N300 Mayo's Kid Nichols
• 1933 Goudey Ruth (red background)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 AM

I have no regrets over sold items. I do have regrets on some items where one more bid may have won me something I have been looking for ever since.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Several cards I've sold over the years that I wish I still had. My Pete Rose rookie and my entire 1970 Topps basketball PSA 8 set. But, those can be replaced if I choose one day.
Regret/reedemed - My 55 Topps Jackie Robinson PSA 8 that I purchased from my father in the mid 1980's. Sold it to a friend around 1999 because I needed some money. After my father passed away last year, I realized how much that meant to me. Purchased the card back from my friend a few months ago and it is now back in it's rightful place
Regret - 1960 Fleer #80 Lefty Grove/Pepper Martin back. Sent it for grading in the late 90's and came back as miscut or something...not slabbed. Sold it raw for maybe $600. I think it was sent back in a few years later and slabbed as "authentic". Really a tough card to find.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

About ten years ago, I sold several vintage cards from my collection, probably 8 or 9 total, at a time when my daughter was going to college and we needed help paying for her tuition. Long story short, ten years down the road, even though it was the right thing to do at the time, I still regret parting with those cards, as I know that, with the way prices have soared in the past decade with vintage cards, I'll likely never be able to replace them.

I was wondering if other collectors had sold cards over the years that they now regret not having - and probably can't replace - and what those cards were.

After reading your posting to this thread you started, felt I had to say this. Baseball card collecting is an enjoyable hobby for many and some make their living from it. To make a posting about regret from not having baseball cards, which financed your daughter's college education is a little disturbing. Being able to give your daughter something that can never be taken away and being so important, but looking back at that gift as a regret doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcal02 View Post
After reading your posting to this thread you started, felt I had to say this. Baseball card collecting is an enjoyable hobby for many and some make their living from it. To make a posting about regret from not having baseball cards, which financed your daughter's college education is a little disturbing. Being able to give your daughter something that can never be taken away and being so important, but looking back at that gift as a regret doesn't make sense to me.
Wow! I don't think Ricky stated he regretted helping out his daughter he stated he regretted selling his cards. I do not see those as the same statements. What a way to welcome someone.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Wow! I don't think Ricky stated he regretted helping out his daughter he stated he regretted selling his cards. I do not see those as the same statements. What a way to welcome someone.
+1
Old 12-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
That was my reaction too, "WOW". Being able to give your daughter a gift of a college education, but having to sell baseball cards to do it made him make this thread. If I ever had to sell something to give my daughter something so important as an education, I would be so grateful for being able to do it, "regret" would never enter my mind and would never post about it here. Merry Christmas to Ricky and all on this forum, Mark
Old 12-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Rich

Default Vintage cards regrets

So, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Certainly, my daughter and her education was and is, absolutely, #1. I don't regret what I did - at all. Looking back, it was a decision that my wife and I made and we probably did so in haste. We panicked a little at the price tag of the university that she chose and as it turned out, we were able to help pay for her education in subsequent semesters with no future baseball card sales involved. Probably could have done so without the selling the ones that I did.

My only intent in starting this thread was to see if there were others among you who had, over the years, sold cards that you miss today and wish you still had. That's all.

Last edited by Ricky; 12-21-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

Tough crowd this morning. I knew what you meant Rick from your first post. I was buying a house a couple of years ago and sold a few more cards than I needed to in order to free up some cash. I regret letting a green cobb go as it was really nice for the grade and would probably cost me 2 or 3x what I sold it for now to replace.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 12-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Doug

Yep... A few years ago I sold several T206 scraps and a proof. The money I got for them was more than was fair, but I regretted it the minute I dropped them off at the post office. The only cards I've ever sold outright.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:36 AM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcal02 View Post
Tough scene.

I took it as he probably would’ve rather sold different cards or something else that hasn’t taken off in value so much!

Anyway - I don’t really have any regrets in collecting as I luckily haven’t had to sell anything yet (knock on wood)!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

First of all welcome to the forum. This is a great first post/thread.
My only regret is selling my '25 Gehrig Exhibit to Hal Lewis for 10k around 15 yrs ago, a world record at the time. I bought it raw in a Mastro Auction where they said it was NRMT-MT for around $2750. ....I had it graded and it was a 5.5 and eventually I believe it got bumped to a 6. Ouch. No regrets otherwise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post