NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Kevin Andrews

Default Likelyhood of New Cards Being Discovered

I'm not sure if this has been discussed lately or not so I'll put it out there. With today's world being much smaller than it was even 25 years ago. What's the likelyhood that the founders of the hobby missed a card in one of the major un-numbered sets (T206, T205, Obaks, American Caramel, Old Judge, etc...)? I don't mean minute variances in photos more along the likelyhood of just flat out missed a subject player or pose. If they did when was the last time a player or pose was legitimately added to a set? If a new find was to occur how are they documented or verified? Are there rumors of cards or info on sets that collectors may be holding back?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Joe Gonsowski

New Old Judge poses turn up with some regularity. I'll let another board member chime in if he wishes regarding a couple new Old Judge poses that have surfaced over just the last month. However, additions to mainstream 20th century sets would be far more unlikely.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Brent

I was able to pick this card up not to long ago and believe it may be a new discovery. It comes from a very obscure athletes issue probably from the period of 1913-1914. The issue focuses on the accomplishments from the 1912 Olympics for most of the subjects that are on the known checklist. It is also interesting to note that the Capitol Candy & Cracker Co also had direct ties with the Pacific Coast Biscuit Co. So yes, I believe unknown cards are still out there...

Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Rich Klein

Default There will

always be additions and corrections to even static sets. IIRC, in 2007, a player in the T205 set who was originally ID'd as player x was actually player y but they had the same last name and it took almost a century to figure that out.

We'll always be adding to our knowledge, hopefully there will always be some central resevoir to keep everything together. If not, we may go back to the ways of the 70's --- in terms of checklisting and even with technological advantages, that is going to be even tougher 40 years later

Rich
Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Jon Canfield

Although uncommon, I believe new players can be discovered. I'd consider the Tango Cobb discovery earlier this year as a new find. Even though one was rumored to exist, noone had ever seen it before.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Eric Bea.chley

I predict the T231 Fan set will double in size in the next 20 years. If someone finds a collection from a smoker of that brand, it may increase 100-fold.

Wasn't the Pirates set a recent addition?

Last edited by egbeachley; 06-18-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher354435 View Post
I was able to pick this card up not to long ago and believe it may be a new discovery. It comes from a very obscure athletes issue probably from the period of 1913-1914. The issue focuses on the accomplishments from the 1912 Olympics for most of the subjects that are on the known checklist. It is also interesting to note that the Capitol Candy & Cracker Co also had direct ties with the Pacific Coast Biscuit Co. So yes, I believe unknown cards are still out there...

Wow! That Thorpe card is very cool!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Hi Rhett, I had only seen a couple of those 1939 R-Unc. cards before you showed that group above. Very Cool!

One unusual thing I just noticed.... check out this Larry French card below that I had a scan of compared to the bright red one you have Looks like there are some nice variations in the printing/cutting on these...

Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Frank, that is interesting. I have 7 different of these and I have seen 1 or 2 randomly (inluding the French you posted), and the only other ones I have ever heard about are from this former Hunts lot (that went incredibly cheap, as nobody knew what they were looking at at the time.) Notice how my Stanley Hack and theirs share the same image but different cropping & coloring (just like the Larry French cards). These groupings are the only known "groups" that have been found to date. Also notice that all outside of my grouping have a pair of staple holes at top. We've discussed these before but they are very cool and apparently came from in-and-around the Chicago area.
-Rhett

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...items_list.cfm

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562