NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2022, 07:48 PM
Banned

Default New Buck Ewing cabinet card, provenance needed?

Hello again. I recently showed a cabinet card and showed a few in the past. This one I share with you now is a Buck Ewing. I believe we are all familiar with Buck’s face. Hard to dispute. Is provenance needed? Provenance meaning “history of ownership.” Do we need the “history of ownership” to positively affirm the identity of this image as Buck Ewing. Is facial recognition a technical process, familiarity of a face or the history of ownership. Should facial recognition ever be brought into the equation if there is a “history of ownership.” What seems a need for “history of ownership”? Is the “history of ownership” in determining authenticity of a face or the last? If two images of Michael Jordan are being compared, when does “history of ownership” come into play? I think we all seen the minor league cabinet card that names Honus Wagner as being a player that is obviously not him. Wagner may not even be in the image. There’s one guy on the opposite side of the team photo that might be him. At some point the pen and pencil markings need to be double checked a little better. That card has sold in auction. Should an authenticator need to know the “history of ownership”? Do you need an authenticator to tell you this is Buck Ewing? Are authenticators needed when a face is unfamiliar? Does the “history of ownership” have any revelance to determine whether an image is person? I’m still trying to figure to save my pics as JPEGS. My apologies.B23B1598-94B5-42A3-9843-232E2940402C.jpg
Old 10-25-2022, 08:11 PM

Is this going to be another Jim O'Rourke or Asa Brainard thing where you find an old cabinet card and then try and find a match with a famous base ball player?

David
Old 10-25-2022, 08:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Is this going to be another Jim O'Rourke or Asa Brainard thing where you find an old cabinet card and then try and find a match with a famous base ball player?

David
It's all about the ears David...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-25-2022, 08:18 PM
Banned

When a Fleer Michael Jordan is auctioned off, is the “history of ownership” part of the equation or a deal breaker? When you represent a card as Buck Ewing, does it then become a question of facial recognition? If it’s passes facial recognition, does it then become a question of “is the card physically authentic”? F5606F6B-99C1-4070-96E7-35F2757664FB.jpgWhen does “history of ownership” come into play? If the Buck Ewing in question is published by a known baseball card maker, does it then become a question of physical authenticity after the recognition work has been done? Is there a need for the question of “history of ownership” at that point?
Old 10-25-2022, 08:24 PM
Banned

I agree it’s all about the ears. Other factors FE4E0FB7-5D22-45AB-85AF-DF984E348984.jpgcome into play when ear detail ain’t great. Does this pass the ear test?
Old 10-25-2022, 08:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'll play, no it doesn't, the ear canal is distinctly different as is the pronounced peak in the photo on the right, as well as the shape of the lobe. Plus the head on your cabinet is taller than the Ewing photo you posted.

I'll admit it's a close resemblance and hope it's genuine, but you should spend the dough to have it authenticated, would be worth your while. The best advice for things like this is "Send it to Henry".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-25-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:50 PM
Bob C.

When a 30+ year old Jordan photo is sold, he, and likely the photographer, are both still alive and have either marked the photo or can otherwise personally verify it is Jordan if there is any question.

Your cabinet/photo is possibly 130+ years or so old, the subject and photographer both long dead, along with anyone else alive at the time it was taken to identify who this is. And with apparently no markings or writings on it to name who the photo is of, the photographer that took it, or from what studio it came. At least none that you've shared with us. There are no uniforms or signs, background buildings or landmarks, or anything else in the photo to help identify who it is and where/when the photo was taken either. And the subject is wearing a suit and tie, sporting a handlebar mustache, and wearing a bowler hat I believe, all just like so many men wore and sported back in the day.

And just because it may resemble Ewing somewhat, still doesn't make it provable it is him. I've seen photos of numerous doppelgangers over the years, much better than this one. And with no additional evidence, markings, provenance, or even a verifiable chain of ownership through till today, what you have is a nice clean old photo/cabinet of an unidentified man from probably back in the late 1800's, and that's it. Unless you can somehow get one of the renowned and respected baseball historians or so-called experts to go out on a limb and declare that is Ewing. But I wouldn't go holding my breath waiting for that to happen if I were you. Good luck otherwise.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:00 PM
Rob

Ewing passed away in 1906 at the age of 47. The guy in photo looks too old to be Ewing.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:00 PM
Jonathan Sterling

The Buck did not stop for that photo..
Old 10-26-2022, 08:23 AM
Rhett Yeakley

What we can tell from the two photos and the extent of the similarity…

They are both Human
They both have Ears
They are both likely Male

…that is about it.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-26-2022, 09:29 AM

Yawn. Are we being trolled?

Sincerely,

William H. "Shoeless Joe" Bonney

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-26-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:12 AM
R0b Sm!th

Detroit58, is this you on ebay with the Cy Young rookie?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13429904093...sAAOSwYpNjWGBi

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...relics&_sop=16

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 10-26-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:57 AM
Jonathan Sterling

"Not CY Young " listing also has these gems. The middle photo is alleged to be Mike Kelly!!!
At some point you cross a line between being really bad a photo matching and ......
Jonathan Sterling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221026-135027_eBay.jpg (159.2 KB, 454 views)
Old 10-26-2022, 01:09 PM
Brian Schwertfeger

This guy is something else....
Old 10-26-2022, 01:21 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'd vote this is a joke, but there appear to be many collectors that think any card ever made must picture a baseball player.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:19 PM

Many moons ago, I was an avid 10 year-old baseball history nut and collector. I was in an antique store and was convinced I found a cabinet of Cap Anson.

By the time I turned 11, I realized that to the untrained eye, every man from the 1880's with a moustache looked like Cap Anson.

I still have that cabinet somewhere, which is worth the same $3 I paid for it way back when. Accounting for inflation, I've lost money on it.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:58 PM
Fred

Crap, did I miss out on yet another GREAT cabinet? Why do I keep missing out?
Old 10-26-2022, 03:37 PM
Banned

Amazon Rekognition C5BDE4C7-40C0-4A4D-88E7-A61487352A7D.jpeg
Old 10-26-2022, 03:38 PM
Banned

Amazon Rekognition 3BBCEC5B-9F39-4057-B7E5-57FD4B7FDD5F.jpeg
Old 10-26-2022, 03:57 PM
Banned

If someone out there is capable of doing facial recognition work, post it. You are the joker buddy. I made pretty clear points. Didn’t insult anybody. If you say this isn’t Buck Ewing and you don’t provide facial recognition, you’re either a hater or a fraud. Likely both. Posted 2 Buck Ewing’s. And trust me I got more. I got 2 exact look alikes? Your a joker and fraud. To argue small difference in ear detail, you would be saying the heads are at the same reference points. You are looking at 2 different sides of the face. I’m a joker. Bring on your best guy. I ain’t got time nowadays. Who’s your top dog? The King Kahoona still? That’s a joke. Show your work. I did. I can show more. Did King Kahoona learn about rolling faces yet? Maybe someday
Old 10-26-2022, 04:01 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
"Not CY Young " listing also has these gems. The middle photo is alleged to be Mike Kelly!!!
At some point you cross a line between being really bad a photo matching and ......
Jonathan Sterling
That " King Kelly" is nowhere close!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-26-2022, 04:10 PM
octavio ranzola

Its not buck ewing not even close
Old 10-26-2022, 04:20 PM
Banned

Can somebody besides me post facial recognition work? Is anybody capable? I know 2 different cabinets that pass recognition apps at 95 are a dime a dozen, but is anyone at Net54 capable of facial recognition work? Just a honest question. Can any of you who posted add your photo recognition? I know your not calling me a joker unless you did some honest recognition work.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:20 PM
Doug Goodman

96.7 % similarity scores
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (8.7 KB, 363 views)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:27 PM
Fred

Doug, you asshole. I was eating something while reading this thread and half of what I was eating landed on my keyboard when I read your post...
Old 10-26-2022, 04:31 PM
Banned

So which of the chronies does facial recognition? Anybody. Frauds.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:35 PM
Banned

Hello world of Net54. I have 2 Buck Ewing cabinet cards. Do any of you know how to do facial recognition? Can anybody recommend a website that has people who might know how to do facial recognition work?
Old 10-26-2022, 04:37 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

OK I'll bite . I usually don't get involved in this sort of thing . I basically post on the autograph side but here I go .
I feel it is not Buck Ewing for the following anatomical reasons (I am a dentist with a practice concentrated on implant restorations and cosmetics ) so here I go :

1.The Helix of the ear in the left photo is compressed close to the scalp on the right in the Buck photo the Helix protrudes away from the scalp.
2.On the left photo the Antihelix is larger than the Antihelix in the Buck photo
3.On the left photo the External Auditory Meatus is larger in diameter and rises higher in the left photo than in the Buck photo
4.The Tragus in the left photo is lower and more pointed than in Buck's photo
5.The Lobe in the left photo is not attached ( it's called free in some terminology ) to the face / posterior cheek area above the TMJ area with a clearly defined separation between the face and ear lobe and this face / ear lobe area while in Buck's photo the same area appears attached lower with little or no separation between the face / jaw and ear lobe . This is a genetic trait passed from parents to offspring.
6.The angle of emergence of the ear from the head on the left photo is less with a farther back position than in the Buck photo
7. The distance from the head to the helix of the ear and from the head to the lobe is greater in Buck's photo than in the photo on the left
8. Lastly the overall gross ear position in the photo on the left appears higher in relation to the mandibular ( lower ) jaw angle /line than in Buck' photo .
Also remember the eyes remain the same size from birth to death and the basic socket form doesn't change during our life either , it may wrinkle but the shape remains the same unless you get an eyelid tuck
I say it's not Buck Ewing and I've been looking at and studying baseball for over 50 years.

So there's my facial analysis from looking at faces for years . If wrong I will apologize .
Old 10-26-2022, 04:38 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Doug, you asshole. I was eating something while reading this thread and half of what I was eating landed on my keyboard when I read your post...
I apologize...

For smiling devilishly while reading your post.

Doug "Aren't we all frauds on some level?" Goodman
Old 10-26-2022, 04:42 PM
Banned

I want physical recognition facial recognition. Anybody with half a brain can see your words are worth dog poop
Old 10-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Banned

Can we start with which of the 2 cabinets you are talking about to be fair or if you want to look as smart as you think you are. I would love to address your words, but start with what you are addressing champ
Old 10-26-2022, 04:48 PM
Banned

That means you klldds
Old 10-26-2022, 04:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I see OP has taken the time honored approach of continuing to dig instead of climbing out of the hole.

I love when these guys call everyone else a “fraud” for not buying into their BS.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:01 PM

Oh, what the heck. Let me make a couple of observations- one personal and one professional.
I have idly looked through bins of old photos in antique stores up and down the east coast for quite a while (I like old landscape/architecture photos) and never in the history of ever looked at a cabinet of an old guy with a mustache and Edwardian clothes and thought ‘damn, that’s …’ . The odds of it being a pro ball player are close to zero and certainly even more remote are the odds of it being an all time great. The odds of me winning the NYC Marathon are better.
On a professional level, as a career prosecutor, I can say that blind reliance on facial recognition software is misplaced at best. I know of several cases where criminal charges were brought based solely on such comparisons which were 100% false and led to dismissal of charges and civil actions for wrongful arrest. It may not be as ‘junk’ science as bitemark analysis or lead analysis for matching spent projectiles to other unused cartridges but it’s not far off.
Plus, what the doc in post 28 said.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:03 PM
Banned

I asked an honest question. What image is he describing I posted 2. I cannot reply if I don’t know what image he is talking about. If everybody says it’s obviously not him and provide no facial recognition when request, wel that’s fraud. If the shoe fits. What image is he talking about?
Old 10-26-2022, 05:03 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Not to convolute this thread, but I thought that everyone would like to see the images from the Young ebay listing that was referenced above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13429904093...=20001&mkevt=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young 1a_533x800.jpg (136.6 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Young 1c_800x800.jpg (121.0 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 10-26-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:09 PM
Banned

I guess the fair thing to do make rebuttals for both images just in case he was talking one and not the other. The worlds smartest man is always obvious because he talks at u n runs away. Must be smart. Does anyone know if he wax talking about the Ewing in the hat or the Fredrick’s?
Old 10-26-2022, 05:11 PM
Banned

Does anyone know how to get a hold of klldds to find out what Ewing he’s talking about? I’d like to start somewhere
Old 10-26-2022, 05:12 PM
C.hris Bl.and

I am shocked that a newly discovered cabinet of Cy Young from his rookie year has not sold yet. I wonder why that is...

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 10-26-2022, 05:15 PM
Banned

Does anyone on this site know how to do facial recognition?
Old 10-26-2022, 05:16 PM
Banned

This site don’t seem very legit lot of words, no substance
Old 10-26-2022, 05:18 PM
Banned

Does anybody who frequents this site have skills with facial recognition? I’m anxious in anticipation. I know you guys got somebody
Old 10-26-2022, 05:19 PM
Banned

I see a lot of my work. Anybody know how to do facial recognition. I know you’re all great with the keyboards. Anybody know how to do side by sides?
Old 10-26-2022, 05:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I am shocked that a newly discovered cabinet of Cy Young from his rookie year has not sold yet. I wonder why that is...
I can’t imagine!
Old 10-26-2022, 05:39 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I got to add a second person to my ignore list today…

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:43 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit58 View Post
Does anyone on this site know how to do facial recognition?
I believe most of the experts on N54 start with "the ears don't match". Then things progress from there... I can almost recall in one thread that two guys almost got into a fight, right here on the board, because one of the guys said the portrait of Dummy Hoy couldn't be him because "he had ears"...

It's a tough crowd here, but you're not going to find more honest or better opinions for this type of topic on ANY OTHER internet board.

Doug - apology accepted. Frigging keyboard needed to be cleaned anyway...
Old 10-26-2022, 05:46 PM
Banned

Is there anybody on this forum who knows who these players are being represented? I ain’t no joker. Straight business here. I take my work very serious. There isn’t anybody who is capable here of doing facial recognition48BA401C-D135-4B27-B29F-D54761982085.jpg
Old 10-26-2022, 05:49 PM

I think I see Bob "Death to Logical Things" Ferguson in one of them.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:50 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Hey Detroit I gave it a shot so I may be wrong on facial analysis but I know an a**hole when I see one
Old 10-26-2022, 05:51 PM
Banned

Thus is what this forum is about? Character assassination? I came here with some honest stuff and honest questions? That’s how you come at me? This stuff is on record forever. I don’t claim to be perfect, but I stand by my stuff and most of all my word. I learn quick what most of your words are worth. There is something toxic about this place.