NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Chris Wood

Default E90-1 Jackson found

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ackson-rookie/
Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Chris

Cool story. I'm sure most on this forum have dreamed of finding a scrapbook full of prewar cards. (SOME PROBABLY HAVE). Down in Fla, have had no such luck. But love just reading stories like this.

Frank
Old 10-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Barry Arnold

Default found

yes, a great story and a gorgeous Jackson!!!
Wow!

best,
barry
Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Chris Wood

Default Hi Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Chris

Cool story. I'm sure most on this forum have dreamed of finding a scrapbook full of prewar cards. (SOME PROBABLY HAVE). Down in Fla, have had no such luck. But love just reading stories like this.

Frank
Frank, where are you in FLA? I am a Canuck but had lived in Fort Lauderdale back in 1997/98 and found so many great items at a local weekly swap meet that I ended up selling truck loads of items to Broadway Ricks for his phone/ mail auctions (I didn't know about Ebay or would have sold it myself). Never found anything like the Jackson card mentioned in the story but each weekend was mini treasure hunt. Chris

Last edited by baseball tourist; 10-24-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM

Awesome Joe! That Upp is the best I've ever seen too. Fantastic find!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Matt Wieder

As I recall, there was a theory discussed here some years ago that some of the e90-1s were actually produced with rounded corners. Aside from that making production difficult, from the notebook, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Dan Bretta

That's a nice story. I'm surprised that REA wouldn't try to remove the Jackson and get it graded.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
That's a nice story. I'm surprised that REA wouldn't try to remove the Jackson and get it graded.
very honorable of rob. wonder if he's costing the consignor some money? i'm 100% certain the winner of the lot will be soaking them out.

edit: old debate i'm against soaking and erasing

Last edited by chaddurbin; 10-24-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Phil Garry

What a unique "1-of-a-kind" item. Why not leave it intact for a new owner to enjoy that way. It should not always be about the money.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Chris
I live just north of Tampa, Florida. But I was raised in Miami. One of the other posters on this thread lives somewhat north of me in Florida also.

Probably alot of members on this Forum go out hunting Garage Sales, etc. My job/family(wanting to spend with them) has kept me from this. One of my good friends can recite that dream I have(I have said it to him many times), of finding a scrapbook full of attached cards(pre 1920).

As Phil stated, I would probably keep it together and look at it every once inawhile. Would think of some one long ago placing the cards in the book, not realizing what he had in his hands(years later, would be so valuable).

Frank
Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Joann

So many cards now are in graded holders or safe deposit boxes or generally in the sort of artificial environment of modern collecting. They are scattered about and often handled as individuals, even as an individual card may make its way in and out of various set collections.

Seeing a scrapbook with attached cards is one of the few opportunities left to see cards as they historically were. Scrapbooks are a reflection of a time in someone's life a hundred years ago - the cards are captured in a historical environment, so to speak. It's the cards as they actually were back then, before they were parted out, soaked off, slabbed, bid on, mailed to many individual destinations and cycled repeatedly through the stream of commerce as individual cards.

Not sure what I'm saying here. I guess seeing cards in a scrapbook as opposed to individual collections, PSA holders, and auction sites is like seeing an animal in the wild as opposed to in a zoo.

Or maybe I just need some coffee this morning. I think it'd be nice to keep them in a scrapbook for awhile, but it doesn't make much sense so ... that won't happen.

J
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Any time you are fortunate enough to stumble onto an untouched vintage collection you get to see a time capsule of how cards were collected 100 years ago. What did they save, how they organized them, what did they consider important, which products did they use, etc.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Very cool find! Thanks for posting the link, Chris.

I am also amazed that they wouldn't at least remove the Jackson and
the other key cards like the Cobb mentioned, have them graded, and
auction them separately or with the group. The George Davis also
looks to be particularly nice.

I agree about preserving the way these cards were collected and feel the
majority of the album should be kept intact. However, judging from those
pictures, the album pages look very brittle. I'm not sure how often a collector
could carefully look through that album before it would start to fall apart.
Some things, sadly, are just not meant to last forever...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Barry Sloate

If the auction house removes the Jackson and it has even a tiny spot of paper loss, the card will grade a 2. Why would they want to take that risk? They already have a wonderful lot which holds the possibility that the Jackson may grade say EX-MT. Why not let the bidders determine the risk/reward factor regarding the card? I don't think REA should remove it from the album.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
If the auction house removes the Jackson and it has even a tiny spot of paper loss, the card will grade a 2. Why would they want to take that risk? They already have a wonderful lot which holds the possibility that the Jackson may grade say EX-MT. Why not let the bidders determine the risk/reward factor regarding the card? I don't think REA should remove it from the album.

I agree 100%. It should be left and auctioned in it's current condition found....
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 PM
S Gross

I like the T204s and T218s on the same page.
Probably went with Mecca/Hassan as his basic cig, and maybe indulged in a Ramly once in a while.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Seeing a scrapbook with attached cards is one of the few opportunities left to see cards as they historically were. Scrapbooks are a reflection of a time in someone's life a hundred years ago - the cards are captured in a historical environment, so to speak. It's the cards as they actually were back then, before they were parted out, soaked off, slabbed, bid on, mailed to many individual destinations and cycled repeatedly through the stream of commerce as individual cards . . . I guess seeing cards in a scrapbook as opposed to individual collections, PSA holders, and auction sites is like seeing an animal in the wild as opposed to in a zoo.
You nailed it, Joann.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Ron Rice

Default E90 Jackson

Great find. Thanks for posting and great comments in this thread.

I would think REA, or any other auction house, should disclose if any card has been altered by soaking it and then removing glue residue. From REA's point of view, its much safer to sell the scrapbook as is. Removing the cards and having them graded risks damaging them, but also brings in the issue of whether soaking/cleaning is considered an alteration and should be listed. I'm glad to see REA handle the find as they have.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM
qu@n nguy3n

agreed with everyone that rob did the right thing...we all know some other auction houses wouldn't have. ultimately the cards will be soaked and graded...be sure to save the scans now.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Bilko Glasier

This is a great story and seeing the cards in that scrapbook all together like that is a real cool piece of hobby history and reminds me of my scrap booking days as a child. I would collect cards and important sports related newspaper pictures and articles in that exact same way. Only thing is, is that my cards and newspapers articles that i collected in a similar way, were from the late 70s and early 80s, not from the early 1900's.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Why do I think the winner of the scrapbook is going to remove one of the bird card pictures to see what kind of adhesive was used on the back and if it is flour based glue, the soaking will commence. I agree with Joann and others that it would be great to preserve the book as is but if the Jackson is able to be easily removed, the value would be enormous.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Does a card which has been soaked to remove scrapbook glue/etc. get an "A" designation from SGC or PSA?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
Does a card which has been soaked to remove scrapbook glue/etc. get an "A" designation from SGC or PSA?
Nope! If it is not trimmed or altered (soaking it not considered an alteration), it will definitely receive a number grade.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 10-25-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I might be in the minority viewpoint on this, but I'd have the baseball cards removed from the album.

Many consider the cards stuck in the album in their "native state" but there was a time where those cards weren't glued in the album. To me, that is their native state. By that logic you would argue that the card belongs in a box of candy or pouch of tobacco, but I just like looking at the card...

But mainly, I like looking at the back of the card and I just think those special cards should be free of the glue and paper concealing it.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
I might be in the minority viewpoint on this, but I'd have the baseball cards removed from the album.

Many consider the cards stuck in the album in their "native state" but there was a time where those cards weren't glued in the album. To me, that is their native state. By that logic you would argue that the card belongs in a box of candy or pouch of tobacco, but I just like looking at the card...

But mainly, I like looking at the back of the card and I just think those special cards should be free of the glue and paper concealing it.
I agree. If you want the cards in their "native state", here ya go!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Tuff call, I'd leave them alone I think. At least initially.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Frank Wakefield

First, Joann, everyone needs coffee... that's good stuff.

Next, I like the idea of the cards selling in the scrapbook. I once was allowed to turn the pages of a scrapbook that had 176 Cracker Jack cards, all flour pasted onto the pages. Great corners on every card, no fading, no creases.

I agree with the folks that think the cards should sell in the scrapbook, then let the winner(s) sort it out. And I understand that once sold they may well get soaked.

Seeing these cards serves as an explanation as to how some of our old cards have great corners, and are in really nice shape. Many cards were put into scrapbooks. And over the years, in the 40s and 50s and 60s, many have been soaked off of those pages.

Only one aspect of it all troubles me, the article describes the Jackson card as rare. It isn't. It's just a high dollar card because of the player. That doesn't make it rare, it just makes it a high demand card.

FW
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM

I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I thought this might be appropriate to share since we're talking about baseball cards in original scrapbooks. As some of you know, I've been cleaning out my parents house and finding a lot of great pre-war cards and memorabilia that I had forgotten about. I also found these pieces from my childhood. First there's a scrapbook I kept of my favorite team, the SF Giants -- I've shown the cover and a couple of pages. I also remember making these display boards for the playoffs in the early 70s. I was doing the same thing that the young boy did in Louisiana, just sixty years later.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scrapbook.jpg (38.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg SI photos.jpg (41.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I thought this might be appropriate to share since we're talking about baseball cards in original scrapbooks. As some of you know, I've been cleaning out my parents house and finding a lot of great pre-war cards and memorabilia that I had forgotten about. I also found these pieces from my childhood. First there's a scrapbook I kept of my favorite team, the SF Giants -- I've shown the cover and a couple of pages. I also remember making these display boards for the playoffs in the early 70s. I was doing the same thing that the young boy did in Louisiana, just sixty years later.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com

soke 'em... at least the 71s
Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Only one aspect of it all troubles me, the article describes the Jackson card as rare. It isn't. It's just a high dollar card because of the player. That doesn't make it rare, it just makes it a high demand card.

FW

How many are there estimated to be in existence?