NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2023, 05:23 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Default Hypothetical Value of Unopened Packs

If there was a way to guarantee a pack has never been opened, just wondering what the value of unopened ones might be. Any thoughts on what the value of an unopened t206 cigarette pack, 1933 Goudey pack, 1952 topps pack, etc etc etc might be.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

All sorts of other factors have to be added to the equation, like what (for Topps-era cards) series the pack is from, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:12 AM
J@mes In.gram

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=332745

This guy posts from time to time.

I have severe doubt when it comes to any supposed unopened packs, graded or otherwise. Just because something is incredibly expensive doesn't make it real. I'm not going to refinance my house over a pack of baseball cards, or any cards.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-12-2023, 07:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's really all just based on a gamble over what cards or cards might be in the pack.

If I had the money, I'd pick up some more modern ones as uncommon items on their own. But not at the prices that assume it's got the important stars rather than just a common or two.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think many, if not most, packs are worth more unopened. Such a gamble but it would be cool to pull a Wags or a Plank....or a T210 Jackson ...none of which I will ever afford unless I win the lottery.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

I think the concept is very cool, and I admire those who are into high-end unopened - but I don't have near the risk tolerance I would need to play that game myself. I like watching YouTubers who bust unopened vintage like Just Collect, etc. But I would never pay hundreds or thousands of dollars myself to speculate on something like that. I too am leery of the fraud possibilities with that kind of stuff.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-15-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:53 AM
J@mes In.gram

There is no way, zero chance, I would trust ANY pack for sale not to have been tampered with, unless I found it myself in some attic, basement or warehouse. And that's on top of the gamble of some star or HOFer being in the pack. I remember well the good old days of 1967 opening pack after pack after pack to get Mantle.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 03-15-2023, 11:26 AM

The pack will never have anything as good as what it "could" have inside. I buy the current year Bowman product year after year, open it and get nothing. But if I just didn't open it I'd make three or four times what I paid every time. Alas, I can't help myself.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
There is no way, zero chance, I would trust ANY pack for sale not to have been tampered with, unless I found it myself in some attic, basement or warehouse. And that's on top of the gamble of some star or HOFer being in the pack. I remember well the good old days of 1967 opening pack after pack after pack to get Mantle.
James, you make some good points. What if you have some vintage, unopened packs, where you are 100% positive of the provenance of where they came? What if the packs were so scare that people thought they never existed? What if you could actually see at least one of the cards in the pack and it is worth 10K plus? What if you had some graded by PSA and they are authentic, graded and sealed?

What would you do? What would anyone else do? I would REALLY like to know.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The pack will never have anything as good as what it "could" have inside. I buy the current year Bowman product year after year, open it and get nothing. But if I just didn't open it I'd make three or four times what I paid every time. Alas, I can't help myself.
As a general rule, I think you are right, but I can never say that a pack would never have anything as good as what it "could" have inside. Case in point: In the late 90's or early 2000's I bought a couple of different unopened packs from reputable sources at a National. One was a 1970 6th Series Topps Baseball pack and the other was a 1986 Fleer Basketball pack. I pulled spectacular Willie Mays and Pete Rose cards from the 1970 pack, and was lucky enough to pull the Jordan card from the 1986 pack. The baseball pulls exceeded my expectation (was thinking I'd just get 1 star card at best--I'd purchased it because it was the first year I started collecting, but never opened a pack myself that year, so I treated myself to the pleasure of opening a 1970 pack) and the Fleer pull met my hopes and dreams as it was the only realistic shot I had at the time of owning a nice Jordan rookie. But generally, yeah, with the priced unopened vintage product is going for these days, it's the equivalent of buying a high-priced lottery ticket.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:55 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
James, you make some good points. What if you have some vintage, unopened packs, where you are 100% positive of the provenance of where they came? What if the packs were so scare that people thought they never existed? What if you could actually see at least one of the cards in the pack and it is worth 10K plus? What if you had some graded by PSA and they are authentic, graded and sealed?

If the pack is factory sealed, how could you see what is in it? Only way is to tamper with it. I do remember that only occasionally you would buy a pack not fully sealed, perhaps one leaf loose from the other. You could perhaps see the bottom card (sorry, I never saw any 1 cent, one card packs; first packs I bought were 1967).

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 03-15-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
If the pack is factory sealed, how could you see what is in it? Only way is to tamper with it. I do remember that only occasionally you would buy a pack not fully sealed, perhaps one leaf loose from the other. You could perhaps see the bottom card (sorry, I never saw any 1 cent, one card packs; first packs I bought were 1967).
Good question James. The first cello packs that I know of were produced in 1967, and you could see the bottom card. There were 2 cards in the pack, not 1.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:00 PM

I've had a few 50s one cent Topps packs in the past. I remember the 1959 one cent packs to be really thin and if you held the wrapper tight to the card and up to the light you could make out the player.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:31 PM

Statistically the odds are wayyy against you on opening a vintage pack to find something good. And even if you do get extremely lucky to find a star player, what you think the centering (among other things) might be like ? If you must go for unopened packs, I wouldn't touch them unless graded first. And then I would NEVER ever open them up. Honest best of luck whatever your decision.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Many wax packs have wrappers that let you see at least part of the card on top and/or bottom. So you might be able to see the card number through the pack. Like you can with the 86 fleer basketball stickers which are always on the back.

Some baseball packs from all years have areas on the front you can see part of the card through. You just have to be really good at identifying the cards from only seeing a little bit of it.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:24 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Good question James. The first cello packs that I know of were produced in 1967, and you could see the bottom card. There were 2 cards in the pack, not 1.
Cello packs were available much earlier than 1967. Not sure of the exact earliest year but I have seen them from the late 50's.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:33 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Statistically the odds are wayyy against you on opening a vintage pack to find something good. And even if you do get extremely lucky to find a star player, what you think the centering (among other things) might be like ? If you must go for unopened packs, I wouldn't touch them unless graded first. And then I would NEVER ever open them up. Honest best of luck whatever your decision.
Yes, long odds but a guy pulled a 1955 Bowman Mickey Mantle from a live break at the National a few years ago, maybe 2018, and it graded PSA 9 at he National that year.

The slots for the 9 cards in the 5 cent pack were a grand a piece as well as I remember and the Mantle value at that time(obviously much higher in today's market) was $50K so a decent gamble.

Of course, the other 8 slots all lost most of their thousand dollar investment.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Cello packs were available much earlier than 1967. Not sure of the exact earliest year but I have seen them from the late 50's.
There may be individual packs, I'm not sure when the first cello's were issued. The ones I have are from 1967, but they are not from the U.S.

I did purchase a 1958 Christmas cello a few years back, it had a Mantle showing. I opened it and sent all the cards in - most came back a 6 or 7. I've attached a picture of the Mantle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6287.jpg (189.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-17-2023, 05:01 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

The Christmas rack packs were repacked cards and were put together for promotions. They were not issued by Topps. The cards were mostly less than NM condition similar to your Mantle.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:30 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
True, but I'm not sure how far back you can realistically authenticate them. There was more 3rd party repackaging going on back in the day than just the Christmas racks.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-17-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:38 PM

Yes, I knew the Christmas cello's were repacked. My thinking at the time I bought it was the surface should be in good shape. I was correct. A 6 is not a 10, but it's tough getting a high grade in any 56 Topps. I have a complete set that is mostly 6 and above. I'm happy having the Maris and Mantle in a 6.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:

I will tell you one thing I would not do and that is trust that ANY graded pack was unopened.

When I first joined this forum there was a member that sold tons of graded star packs. Turns out he personally put all those star cards in the packs and resealed them. After being busted on here because he posted a card pick up that was later the exact card in a graded pack. He said it was beyond easy to get resealed packs graded.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:40 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:

I don't swim in that pool.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:01 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
A 6 is not a 10, but it's tough getting a high grade in any 56 Topps. I have a complete set that is mostly 6 and above. I'm happy having the Maris and Mantle in a 6.
True that most vintage 6's will have nice to very nice / NM quality surfaces if nothing else. If you can live with a little OC and still very square if lightly touched corners, 6 is a really nice vintage grade. Many decently centered 6's would have been called "mint" with a straight face in the 1980's by dealers. Things weren't quite as precise back then.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-17-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:12 PM

I made a mistake in my earlier post, my 58 set - not my 56, is in great shape. Maris' rookie is a 58, not 56.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8062.jpg (201.9 KB, 90 views)