NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2023, 07:08 PM
Brad

Default PSA "Over-Slabbing" Issues

I collect a lot of pre-war postcards. I exclusively use PSA for grading/slabbing. I have never had a postcard come back from PSA in anything other than a Tall Boy.

HOWEVER, I just got back an HM Taylor postcard that is inexplicably slabbed in an oversized (5x7?) holder. It looks absolutely ridiculous. I'm going to be sending it back to PSA with a request that they put it in a Tall Boy.

Is this happening to anyone else?

IMG_7772.jpg
Old 10-21-2023, 07:35 PM
Fred

Here's the other side of the spectrum - if you know about T201s, then you know how ridiculous this is. I removed the PSA cert/serial number so it cannot be de-certified or removed from their data base.

t201benderslaberror.jpg
Old 10-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Jim Reynolds

That does look ridiculous. Sorry that happened to you.

I only use SGC for postcards as I prefer the way their slabs look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3070.jpeg (185.1 KB, 609 views)
Old 10-21-2023, 07:51 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Speaking of slabs and sizes used. Huge shout-out to sgc on this 1960 spic and span. They holdered it in a standard size card slab and cut the insert to fit. Every other example I've ever seen of this set graded by psa/sgc is a postcard size slab.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 10-21-2023, 07:53 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Here's the other side of the spectrum - if you know about T201s, then you know how ridiculous this is. I removed the PSA cert/serial number so it cannot be de-certified or removed from their data base.

Attachment 593967
Now that’s just plain silly.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:32 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

If definitely happens. For whatever reason, they aren’t very consistent. Could be they’re in too much of a hurry. Could just be they don’t realize it will fit in the smaller size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7954.jpeg (100.7 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7955.jpeg (171.9 KB, 571 views)

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-21-2023, 09:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

SGC isn't perfect either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sinatrabergman.jpg (207.6 KB, 557 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:33 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That’s not terrific, but I think it looks “ok”.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:35 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The bow tie really makes it pop!!

Old 10-22-2023, 04:53 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

All 3 of my 1988 Topps came back this way???
Old 10-22-2023, 05:37 AM

How about “under slabbing” ?
I don’t have a pix of it, but PSA has folded the tabs on full bazooka boxes to fit into the slab !
Absolutely absurd!
Don’t you think with all the revenue they bring in they would have a holder to fit every issue they grade ?
Old 10-22-2023, 06:17 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I don’t have a pix of it, but PSA has folded the tabs on full bazooka boxes to fit into the slab !
Absolutely absurd!
Don’t you think with all the revenue they bring in they would have a holder to fit every issue they grade ?
No.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:03 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I believe during COVID and the compounding of delivery issues because of the cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal, PSA had an issue getting many of their oddball sized slabs, so rather than delay delivery of the orders (something that also makes people angry), they used what they had on hand and sent them out the door.
There could also be the issue that some postcards or items are slightly oversized and would not fit in the regular slabs for their issue. I got a 1952 Topps card back in a tallboy because the card was oversized.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:25 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I believe during COVID and the compounding of delivery issues because of the cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal, PSA had an issue getting many of their oddball sized slabs, so rather than delay delivery of the orders (something that also makes people angry), they used what they had on hand and sent them out the door.
There could also be the issue that some postcards or items are slightly oversized and would not fit in the regular slabs for their issue. I got a 1952 Topps card back in a tallboy because the card was oversized.
The T201 encapsulation pre-dated covid. This looks more like a QA/AC control issue. At least this shows consistency in all their departments.

Grading is subjective and completed by different graders that have different interpretations of the grading criteria.

Encapsulation is completed by packers with no obvious encapsulation guidelines. However since the majority of cards fit into readily available cases, they don't screw it up too often.

Management has no clue or doesn't care about the voice of the customer that is asking for faster turn around times and a better consistency in the output of their product (grading, encapsulation, return shipping time).

Executive management doesn't care because they're are enough people out there to continually feed their bottom line and these people will gladly do so even though it pisses them off.

It's a good thing that nobody gets "preferential treatment" else this whole grading thing could be a total sham.

I do agree with one thing, that covid mess probably did disrupt their supply line of cases and could have led to issues in delivery times, but I don't recall hearing or reading that anywhere. It makes you wonder if PSA would rather not mention that because that might result in less submissions (company income) because people would have stopped sending in cards for grading.

Last edited by Fred; 10-22-2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:22 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Absolutely absurd!
The holder inconsistency is one of the reasons I haven't sent them any cards in years.

That's a bummer, OP - I hope they make it right for you
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-22-2023, 09:57 AM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
The holder inconsistency is one of the reasons I haven't sent them any cards in years.
Same here.
As a Cracker Jack collector, I havent sent any in because I still see way too many come back from PSA in slabs that arent the correct size and just look silly (some even sitting in the slab almost sideways) especially when the slab also has the plastic baggie look to it around the card, which is SUCH an eye sore. IMO PSA slabbed cards look better/cleaner because of the size of the slab and much cleaner flip and SGC slabs being larger than they need to be with a ridiculously large number grade on the flip.
If SGC had a smaller slab with a cleaner flip, Id be all over sending cards in to them. That giant number grade is just such an eye sore (to me) and takes away from the actual card inside. And if they made a slab where the top fit the flip perfectly like PSAs do, they be so much nicer looking.

AF15
Old 10-22-2023, 12:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The bunched up “baggie” is an immediate deal-killer for me. I don’t know how they could even come up with something that’s a bigger eye sore.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 10-22-2023, 01:32 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

(Not mine) had to share this I saw recently.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 10-22-2023, 02:36 PM
Don

Look at any M101-4/5 card in a PSA slab vs. SGC

it is crazy
Old 10-22-2023, 02:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
This is so bad it's funny.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:52 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Management; Hey! We have a bunch of these comic book holders layin' around here fellas and we have to move them.

Fellas; Okay Boss!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-22-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:30 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Management; Hey! We have a bunch of these comic book holders layin' around here fellas and we have to move them.

Fellas; Okay Boss!
You could be right!

Did someone photoshop that? That just looks so stupid.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:37 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I wonder what the customer thought when they saw the package.

(“…that can’t be my order. I only sent them one card…”

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-22-2023, 03:43 PM
Mike

Here's another PSA Nightmare. You pay a good price for professional service and this is what you get back .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20231022.jpg (194.8 KB, 336 views)
Old 10-22-2023, 07:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
here's another psa nightmare. You pay a good price for professional service and this is what you get back .
lololololololol

Aren’t there like two quality check steps in the PSA grading process? We may need a third.

Last edited by calvindog; 10-22-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:40 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Here's another PSA Nightmare. You pay a good price for professional service and this is what you get back .
Honestly, the first thing that came to mind was that butthead that made home made riveted slabs of magazine pictures. My first thought was that it was some type of magazine cut until I read it's a post card. And you get the baggy look as the extra added bonus. That's a really sad encapsulation.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:25 AM
Jim B.

My Hack Wilson seems lost in his plastic tomb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29_Wilson.jpg (195.8 KB, 224 views)
Old 10-23-2023, 01:41 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
My Hack Wilson seems lost in his plastic tomb
This is as best an outcome as I could imagine.

It's this or it floats around diagonally.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Bazooka box slabs

Quote:
Absolutely absurd!
The folded flaps happened prior to them introducing the "jumbo" size holders. They had a holder that fit the 20-piece boxes without folding the tabs, but had to fold the tabs on the 25-piece boxes to get them to fit. You had to give them explicit permission to do so too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Brooks Robinson 25pc highest PSA 6 1599.jpg (203.2 KB, 137 views)

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:40 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
lololololololol

Aren’t there like two quality check steps in the PSA grading process? We may need a third.
What they tell you and what reality is are two different things.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:44 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
The folded flaps happened prior to them introducing the "jumbo" size holders. They had a holder that fit the 20-piece boxes without folding the tabs, but had to fold the tabs on the 25-piece boxes to get them to fit. You had to give them explicit permission to do so too!
And then sometimes they got jumbo happy with the boxes, even if the flaps are missing…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7959.jpeg (191.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7958.jpg (106.2 KB, 130 views)

Old 10-24-2023, 01:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Consistency?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-24-2023 at 01:31 PM.