NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default FS- 1959 Bob Gibson BVG 6

I don't need to say it's fairly well centered for the card. As far as I know I was the first one to ever submit the card for grading. $680 delivered.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Sharp card, Leon.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

does she measure correctly, leon?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
does she measure correctly, leon?
I am quite sure it was checked along with the other 8 I submitted. As I have previously said, the one I thought would get the highest grade came back trimmed AND it didn't measure, BVG told me. I didn't ask but I assume since they measured that one they measured this one too as well as the rest I submitted. Also when I had it raw I did put it up to other '59s and it was fine.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

where's the 8?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

It looks like a nice 6 to me but not higher given corners.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Leon, I am curious as to why you are using BVG. They get a lot less money than psa and sgc, and are not very well respected in the vintage market. Note the question "does she measure?" since they are known to slab trimmed cards. I have crossed over all my bvg stuff to sgc and lost full grades on more than one card. My 1955 Jim Thorpe Topps All American BVG 8 now sits in an SGC 7 holder. I am sure a half grade was reduced out of sheer spite and disdain towards BVG. Anyway, just curious. LOVE the Gibson.

Last edited by orly57; 06-23-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 AM

Nicely centered Gibson!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Leon, I am curious as to why you are using BVG. They get a lot less money than psa and sgc, and are not very well respected in the vintage market. Note the question "does she measure?" since they are known to slab trimmed cards. I have crossed over all my bvg stuff to sgc and lost full grades on more than one card. My 1955 Jim Thorpe Topps All American BVG 8 now sits in an SGC 7 holder. I am sure a half grade was reduced out of sheer spite and disdain towards BVG. Anyway, just curious. LOVE the Gibson.
I don't think they are known for slabbing trimmed cards even though a few people spout off about it. Quite the opposite. PSA is known for grading trimmed, altered and fake cards way more.
From personal knowledge in the industry my thought is SGC and BVG are better and more consistent grading companies all the way around. They are who I will support going forward. They just grade better imo. Less altered cards in holders, less BS, less games. Because of PSA's marketing (ONLY) they do get more money many times. But they are no better graders, that is something I am sure of. Again, I guess I just have seen too much. To me it seems there are more horror stories around PSA than the others combined. I will use PSA when it makes sense and that will be very, very rarely.
I enjoy accurately graded cards that is why I use BVG and SGC.....
Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't think they are known for slabbing trimmed cards even though a few people spout off about it. Quite the opposite. PSA is known for grading trimmed, altered and fake cards way more.
From personal knowledge in the industry my thought is SGC and BVG are better and more consistent grading companies all the way around. They are who I will support going forward. They just grade better imo. Less altered cards in holders, less BS, less games. Because of PSA's marketing (ONLY) they do get more money many times. But they are no better graders, that is something I am sure of. Again, I guess I just have seen too much. To me it seems there are more horror stories around PSA than the others combined. I will use PSA when it makes sense and that will be very, very rarely.
I enjoy accurately graded cards that is why I use BVG and SGC.....
Recently received an E-Mail from BVG (Beckett) about a summer sale that ends the end of June. 50 cards, and depending on how fast you want them back, for what I think is a pretty good price?

I have never submitted any cards yet, and although I'll likely miss this one due to being pretty busy lately, I think I will take them up on the next one I see from them. (Assuming I will?)
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

From an ebay buying guide.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-Grade...1342856/g.html

The main caution regarding BGS is that they will grade sheet-cut cards. Somewhat controversial in the hobby, some collectors won't touch sheet-cut cards, while others have no problem with them. Your own personal stance will help to determine whether you will consider BGS when shopping for graded cards. BVG is Beckett's vintage grading department, and the same caveat regarding sheet cuts applies. BVG recently stopped providing subgrades, which was the easiest way to pick out a sheet-cut card (typically, the Surface subgrade on a sheet-cut card will be lower than the other subgrades), so be careful if this is a concern for you.

Google Beckett or BVG and sheet cut and you will see lots of discussion of this issue over the years.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-24-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 AM

Leon
I think BVG has the best holders for sure..

What do you think?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Understanding this is not the discussion portion of the site, I dislike BGS graded cards because the slabs are harder to break.

Nice card Leon.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
From an ebay buying guide.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-Grade...1342856/g.html

The main caution regarding BGS is that they will grade sheet-cut cards. Somewhat controversial in the hobby, some collectors won't touch sheet-cut cards, while others have no problem with them. Your own personal stance will help to determine whether you will consider BGS when shopping for graded cards. BVG is Beckett's vintage grading department, and the same caveat regarding sheet cuts applies. BVG recently stopped providing subgrades, which was the easiest way to pick out a sheet-cut card (typically, the Surface subgrade on a sheet-cut card will be lower than the other subgrades), so be careful if this is a concern for you.

Google Beckett or BVG and sheet cut and you will see lots of discussion of this issue over the years.
That ebay article you posted is 9 yrs old. Maybe things have changed? I don't know nor do I care because the main issues I see are in PSA holders.
I have never been part of sheet cut card issues anyway. However, if they are consistent, labeled accordingly and are of size then I see no issue slabbing them. For folks to keep saying sheet cut this and sheet cut that, that debate isn't too relevant for the cards I deal with and collect (as far as I know). This Gibson isn't sheet cut LMAO......neither are any other BVG cards I have. BTW, most of my stuff is BVG (and SGC) but I am fine with BGS and BCCG too. BCCG has a different scale but the cards are fine from my experiences.
No worries at all in the other TPG cards holders....... besides Please Submit Again charges HUGE grading Fees and HUGE shipping fees. I will buy, sell and collect Beckett and SGC graded cards all day long. They are great cards graded by companies I trust.
Just need to know the grading scale for BCCG. To each their own though. But look for a lot more BVG to be listed soon.

FYI,. there will never be all of the scandals around Beckett holders, which are easily the most secure in the business, that there are with PSA holders. LMAO

Last edited by Leon; 06-24-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:14 AM
D@le Irv*n

Compare this card/grade, which I believe is the same grade as Leon's Mantle, and if both were the same year/player, which one would you choose, Leon's or this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-W...0AAOSwjXRXZc8E
Old 06-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That ebay article you posted is 9 yrs old. Maybe things have changed? I don't know nor do I care because the main issues I see are in PSA holders.
I have never been part of sheet cut card issues anyway. However, if they are consistent, labeled accordingly and are of size then I see no issue slabbing them. For folks to keep saying sheet cut this and sheet cut that, that debate isn't too relevant for the cards I deal with and collect (as far as I know). This Gibson isn't sheet cut LMAO......neither are any other BVG cards I have. BTW, most of my stuff is BVG (and SGC) but I am fine with BGS and BCCG too. BCCG has a different scale but the cards are fine from my experiences.
No worries at all in the other TPG cards holders....... besides Please Submit Again charges HUGE grading Fees and HUGE shipping fees. I will buy, sell and collect Becket and SGC graded cards all day long. They are great cards graded by companies I trust.
Just need to know the grading scale for BCCG. To each their own though. But look for a lot more BVG to be listed soon.

FYI,. there will never be all of the scandals around Beckett holders, which are easily the most secure in the business, that there are with PSA holders. LMAO
As far as I know, BVG does not designate sheet cut cards as such. If I am wrong I am glad to be corrected.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I love Beckett holders . I have only gotten higher grades when crossing over from Beckett . Until I became a member on this site I had no idea anyone felt the psa or sgc was better . In all my years of collecting SGC has always been the third wheel . In more recent years I would say psa has caught up to BGS in popularity. But it's not a popularity game .
Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I love Beckett holders . I have only gotten higher grades when crossing over from Beckett . Until I became a member on this site I had no idea anyone felt the psa or sgc was better . In all my years of collecting SGC has always been the third wheel . In more recent years I would say psa has caught up to BGS in popularity. But it's not a popularity game .
I've been collecting since before any of these services started and I have never thought of SGC as the third wheel once all three companies were on the scene. If you are talking about modern cards, then that is a different matter, but I thought we were talking about vintage.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-24-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
All one has to do is take a look at VCP on any given vintage card (pre 1980) grade for grade and who is the leader and who brings up the rear is consistently clear as it has been for many many years.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I know everyone has a preference, but PSA's grading has been all over the map lately and the only logical answer in my mind is to make money on resubs. SGC's holders seem too easy to crack and it sucks when a card is damaged by coming out of the gasket. BVG has it's issues like them all, but the holder is unquestionably superior and they seem (IMHO) to have a more standard grading process.

To give full disclosure, I have never submitted...never. However the past year my graded purchases have leaned toward BCG/BVG. Simply because I feel they have the superior product.

It certainly is not the popular view, but it is mine.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I've been collecting since before any of these services started and I have never thought of SGC as the third wheel once all three companies were on the scene. If you are talking about modern cards, then that is a different matter, but I thought we were talking about vintage.
Your right I was just saying that the people I know feel this way. I have always seen tobacco cards in sgc holders that is when I started to see graded cards.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Bry@n

With all of the conversation this card got I thought I should give Leon a free bump so that people know it is still available.