NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Snowman5520

Default Cards for my students

Board members, I am a 6-7th grade teacher in Indiana and am teaching a class next semester on sports card collecting. Any ideas on companies that donate cards, packs, supplies to children?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I'd be happy to donate some some stuff. PM me your address.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Ditto. PM me and I'll gladly put some stuff in the mail to you.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Michael Osacky

Ditto. pM me your address
Old 12-16-2014, 11:44 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman5520 View Post
Board members, I am a 6-7th grade teacher in Indiana and am teaching a class next semester on sports card collecting. Any ideas on companies that donate cards, packs, supplies to children?
Wait a minute. A class on sports card collecting? Really? What sort of school has a class like that and why didn't they have it when I went to school?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Andy Sargent

Default pm

Hi,
PM me your address as well please and I'll get something to you!!!

Andy
Old 12-17-2014, 05:21 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Wait a minute. A class on sports card collecting? Really? What sort of school has a class like that and why didn't they have it when I went to school?
Good questions. I too teach middle school and would love to do something like this! Just wondering what standards this unit addresses.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Pete Sycks

I taught a baseball card class a while back for community ed to a bunch of 5th-6th graders. They loved it. We ripped open some 90's junk. I told them they had to eat the gum. You're doing a great thing.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Mike

Pm sent on What your needs are.
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 12-17-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Snowman5520

Default Re: Cards for students

I have been overwhelmed with the responses! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the generosity of the members here. My kids will be so happy!

We are involved in a program called Leader in Me and we have a 20 minute period at the end of every day called the "flex" class. Teachers get to pick topics that students are interested in and teach a class. I just finished up a "Basics of Football" class and the kids loved it! Some other topics were Health Sciences, knitting, Pinterest, and I will do a fishing class in the spring.

Again, thanks for all the responses. You guys are the best.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Joe

Quote:
I have been overwhelmed with the responses! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the generosity of the members here. My kids will be so happy!

We are involved in a program called Leader in Me and we have a 20 minute period at the end of every day called the "flex" class. Teachers get to pick topics that students are interested in and teach a class. I just finished up a "Basics of Football" class and the kids loved it! Some other topics were Health Sciences, knitting, Pinterest, and I will do a fishing class in the spring.

What State are you in? Ever have any guest speakers? I'd love to come in for some show and tell.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:

That is a great idea for the flex period! Sounds fun, interesting and engaging!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:

Why is your name and school not posted? Not trying to be a dick but you've been a member for 2 months. Just throwing some flags here for me is all!

Member since 2009
Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Snowman5520

If you actually READ my original post, I did not ask for donations from members of this board. I asked for ideas of companies or organizations that might want to donate. However, the response from actual members wanting to donate has been awesome!

My name is Brian Snow. I teach at Fort Branch Community School in Fort Branch, IN. I live in Mt. Carmel, IL, which is a 15 minute drive for me. You can search me on the South Gibson School Corporation website if you are interested in verifying my employment. Even better, you are welcomed to call the school and speak to my principal. The phone number is 812-753-3641. His name is Mike Galvin and he can verify my employment and the Flex class I am teaching.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Drop me a message I will fill you out.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Why is your name and school not posted? Not trying to be a dick but you've been a member for 2 months. Just throwing some flags here for me is all!
You can always download the V-card for additional information and to see that he is most definitely truthful.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Not trying to be a dick
Mission failed
Old 12-17-2014, 02:32 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Mission failed
No Connor I did not fail. You haven't been around long enough here to know anything regarding past issues. I asked what is a very legitimate question and frankly am surprised it took that long to be asked. I commend Mr. Snow on his dedication and work as a teacher. It's a tough job. I just thought it was odd to not post the info he did in his original post is all.

Member since 2009
Old 12-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Hello Snowman,
I'm from Buffalo and that name Snowman scares me lol! Seriously, PM me your mailing address and I'll get some things to you!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Conor is out of line Andrew. There have been scammers pulling this type of thing before. Andrew, I appreciate your concern for the membership.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Andrew thanks for the concern

but if anyone wants to try and scam me out of some of my early 90s stuff they are more than welcome to scam me out of it.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:14 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Conor is out of line Andrew. There have been scammers pulling this type of thing before. Andrew, I appreciate your concern for the membership.
And another fail. Did you even read the thread? Everything was offered to him voluntarily – he never asked for anything.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 12-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Pete Sycks

I would assume most people have some Cecil Fielder and Kenny Lofton's laying around to help out Brian.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Snowman5520

Haha!! Throw in some Kevin Maas Upper Deck rookies as well! To be honest, I could care less if someone sent a box of 90 Donruss commons, that's perfectly fine by me. Those kids don't care as long as they have something to look at.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:46 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
No Connor I did not fail. You haven't been around long enough here to know anything regarding past issues. I asked what is a very legitimate question and frankly am surprised it took that long to be asked. I commend Mr. Snow on his dedication and work as a teacher. It's a tough job. I just thought it was odd to not post the info he did in his original post is all.
I'm not gonna get into a pissing match here. I've been around long enough to know how to use common sense to determine when someone is trying to scam me. I just don't understand people whose default is attack mode. It's possible to be cautious without being a bulldog. If someone wants to come up with a cockamamie story about teaching a card collecting class to scam me out of some penny sleeves and '88 Topps, they can have them.

A rule of thumb...when the shipping costs more than the contents of the box are worth, let it go and chalk it up to a good deed
Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Luke Keeler

Quote:
Haha!! Throw in some Kevin Maas Upper Deck rookies as well! To be honest, I could care less if someone sent a box of 90 Donruss commons, that's perfectly fine by me. Those kids don't care as long as they have something to look at.
Too funny. The first autograph I ever got was on a 1990 Upper Deck Kevin Maas card. Good luck on your project, but I am keeping my Maas
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Snowman5520

I just wanted to say Thank You to all members on there that responded with generous donations to my students. They come in every day asking about new items that arrive. You guys are making a difference in their educational experience and I really appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 PM

Default this is a great idea!

I commend you for generating interest in the youth of today!

I wish every single school did this in our great country! KUDOS!

when I get a chance, I will try to find that beautiful cardboard of yesteryear for you
Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Send me a pm with your address, b happy to help the kids!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Brian - Send me a PM with your address too.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

I can see where the scam word would come into place.
The OP has 10 posts and 5 of them are in This thread.
He has only been a member for 3 months.
And if he is a collector, why wouldn't he give his own cards away from his collection.

With that being said, if you send junk 90's stuff, then who cares, right?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Steve Skibel

I would think the OP would have his students write a Thank You note to the Net54 members thanking everyone for their donations. That is typically what happens when a class or group receives donations that support their hobby or class. Who knows or really cares if your getting snow jobbed
Old 01-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Fred

Brian,

I think what you're doing is pretty cool. Can you please tell me how you're using the cards? Are you teaching math with stats? Are you teaching the kids about collectibles (in general) and how condition could matter? It'd be neat to find out how the cards are being used. I wish I had a teacher that incorporated baseball cards into a lesson plan.

Who knows, maybe some of the guys on the board could come up with different ideas on how you could use the cards as a teaching aid. Since you're looking for 90's cards I would figure you must be teaching a fire fighting course... (you know, set those things a blaze and teach the kids how to put out fires)

It's always nice to see someone that's just trying to make a difference.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 AM
Larrie Dean

Default A Suggestion!

I think this thread is great! I commend the teacher for his efforts AND the Net54 Board members for there response! I would recommend that Board members also contact their local schools to see if their teachers would be interested in donated cards. My wife was a teacher for almost 40 years. Teachers in the elementary schools in our area have "prize boxes"....where children may select a "prize/gift". These prizes/gifts are incentives for the students. For many years I have provided three of our local elementary schools with "team bags" in which I pack 18-20 commons and 5-7 star cards. The teachers report that these are the most popular of the "prizes" in their goody boxes. Also, indirectly related I had a Stamp club in my wife's school for fourth and fifth grade students. IT was another way to interest students in a hobby. BTW: I am NOT asking for ANY donated cards....I have tens of thousands to still give!

Last edited by larrie804; 01-13-2015 at 06:11 AM. Reason: adding "elementary"
Old 01-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Snowman5520

"Snow jobbed". That's really original. I have NEVER heard anything similar poking fun of my last name.

"Scam". Seriously? So I give my REAL name, my place of employment, my Principal's name......and you think that all points to a SCAM. Guess you got me......I joined a national board that is the best I have ever seen and ran a scam using my REAL name and place of employment to get a bunch of 1990 Donruss commons and penny sleeves. Seriously?

Any yes, Thank You letters are planned from my kids.

With that being said, my class met 3 days last week and we will meet for the 4th time today. Last week, I gauged interest in the hobby and what previous knowledge kids had about collecting. I then got an idea of what players or teams each student would be interested in collecting.

After that, we started delving in to the history of baseball cards. We looked at the late 1880's issues and worked up to the T cards of the early 1900's. Of course, we talked about the T206 Wagner and even viewed a 15 minute documentary (OTL on ESPN) about the fake Wagner floating around today. I am a history teacher, so we even tied in card collecting to pop culture and the roaring 20's. I plan on moving into the 30-40's this week and using the rest of January and early February to get to how baseball cards have evolved to present-day. I will do the same for Football and Basketball cards in February.

As for the uses of your donations, we will have one day a week where I make up goody bags and students will vie for the ones they want. We will have various ways of seeing who gets what. We will also use them in learning about condition and especially proper storage. A few kids have brought in their cards and I cringe when I see how they store them. There really isn't a cross-curricular requirement for the class as far as teaching math skills using statistics or even the geography of where players were born, but I'm still going to include an "academic" lesson from time to time.

I am also really hoping to have time to allow kids to trade cards. That teaches social and bargaining skills and even brings the process of economics into the class.

All I know is I was so pumped to see how interested they were when we started looking at pictures of cards on the LCD projector. They were amazed with the story of the Wagner, and I am confident they will love the story about the 52 Topps High series and other interesting tidbits about our wonderful hobby.

Last edited by Snowman5520; 01-13-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
"Scam". Seriously? So I give my REAL name, my place of employment, my Principal's name......and you think that all points to a SCAM. Guess you got me......I joined a national board that is the best I have ever seen and ran a scam using my REAL name and place of employment to get a bunch of 1990 Donruss commons and penny sleeves. Seriously?
I was the one that sent the 1990 Dounruss commons

Well, actually I sent a 1990 Donruss wax box - thought it would be fun for the kids to open.

I think what you're doing is really great! Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
"Snow jobbed". That's really original. I have NEVER heard anything similar poking fun of my last name.

Any yes, Thank You letters are planned from my kids.

With that being said, my class met 3 days last week and we will meet for the 4th time today. Last week, I gauged interest in the hobby and what previous knowledge kids had about collecting. I then got an idea of what players or teams each student would be interested in collecting.

After that, we started delving in to the history of baseball cards. We looked at the late 1880's issues and worked up to the T cards of the early 1900's. Of course, we talked about the T206 Wagner and even viewed a 15 minute documentary (OTL on ESPN) about the fake Wagner floating around today. I am a history teacher, so we even tied in card collecting to pop culture and the roaring 20's. I plan on moving into the 30-40's this week and using the rest of January and early February to get to how baseball cards have evolved to present-day. I will do the same for Football and Basketball cards in February.

As for the uses of your donations, we will have one day a week where I make up goody bags and students will vie for the ones they want. We will have various ways of seeing who gets what. We will also use them in learning about condition and especially proper storage. A few kids have brought in their cards and I cringe when I see how they store them. There really isn't a cross-curricular requirement for the class as far as teaching math skills using statistics or even the geography of where players were born, but I'm still going to include an "academic" lesson from time to time.

I am also really hoping to have time to allow kids to trade cards. That teaches social and bargaining skills and even brings the process of economics into the class.

All I know is I was so pumped to see how interested they were when we started looking at pictures of cards on the LCD projector. They were amazed with the story of the Wagner, and I am confident they will love the story about the 52 Topps 3rd series and other interesting tidbits about our wonderful hobby.
It is great to see someone doing this. Thank you for your good work.

I have given around 40,000 junk era cards to a friend that teaches at a local Hutterite Colony and the kids there love them. I got the idea from this forum about 2 years ago. He lets the kids play with them when ever they have free time at school because they have nothing else.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Fred

Brian,

Where the hell were you when I was growing up... oh, probably not born yet...

Wow, that's a really neat thing you're doing with these kids. I hope they appreciate the time you're putting into this.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Thank you, Brian!

I hope your kids really enjoyed this experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Scan 1.jpg (61.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg My Scan 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:09 AM

Wow! What a great idea. This is something I would day dream about when I was a kid back in grade school. Best of luck
TJ