NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2024, 09:57 AM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Babe Ruth's 1932 Called Shot Bat Question

Hello All - with the recent news of Ruth's called shot jersey going to auction I am curious if his bat that hit the '32 called shot has ever been discovered/auctioned.

I wanted to see if this amazing group would have any information as I have a Lathe 5-4-32 Model and man it would be something if it was the model used for that historic home run.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyscards View Post
Hello All - with the recent news of Ruth's called shot jersey going to auction I am curious if his bat that hit the '32 called shot has ever been discovered/auctioned.

I wanted to see if this amazing group would have any information as I have a Lathe 5-4-32 Model and man it would be something if it was the model used for that historic home run.
I think it would be akin to hitting the powerball but you never know. Do you have pics?
Old 06-12-2024, 08:23 PM
Fred

After a while when nobody claims they have "the bat", someone will come up with a bat that is supposed to be "the bat". That's just kind of the way this S-show of a hobby works these days.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:31 AM
Michael

Bill,

Great question.

Just searching around the web, I found this. I don't have any other information about this, other than what is here. Maybe others do.

https://lelands.com/bids/1932-babe-r...on--psa~dna-10

Sold for: $212,587.20

"1932 Babe Ruth Game Used Bat with "Called Shot" Consideration (PSA/DNA 10)
The mythic status of Babe Ruth's called shot makes it one of the most well known plays in sports history, and this may have been the bat Ruth used to predict the trajectory of his legendary home run. In the fifth inning of Game 3 of the World Series, with the score tied 4-4, Ruth stepped to bat against the Chicago Cubs' Charlie Root. After taking strike one, Ruth then made a gesture that remains ambiguous to this day despite video of the event. It is possible he was admonishing Root or the Cubs bench, which had relentlessly heckled Ruth that afternoon, but is believed to be him pointing his bat toward center field: a declaration that he was about to deposit a ball in the center field bleachers. After taking another strike, he then repeated the gesture. Unbelievably, on the next pitch, Ruth cracked a towering shot to the exact location he may or may not have pointed, estimated to be 440 feet from home plate. Initially, Ruth claimed he was just pointing to the Cubs bench to remind them he still had one more strike, but as the story gathered momentum Ruth lent it credence, later saying of the event, "Well, I looked out at center field and pointed. I said, 'I'm gonna hit the next pitch right past the flagpole!'" Whether or not Ruth intended to call his shot, he did consider it the best ball he ever struck, later saying, "As I hit the ball, every muscle in my system, every sense I had, told me that I had never hit a better one, that as long as I lived nothing would ever feel as good as this one." Though the called shot bat has never been found, this one makes a pretty compelling case. The Baseball Hall of Fame at one time was in possession of a bat believed to be it, but it was later found the bat was produced after Ruth's career. Originally, this was thought to be Ruth's last bat, gifted by The Babe to Wally Berger, but as fate would have it this was not the one. Ruth often used to keep his favorite bats for years. This bat was made in 1932 and matches to his order on 4-18-32, and a photo of the called shot shows Ruth using a 1932 bat, so it stands to reason this could be the one given his penchant for retaining preferred bats and the corresponding order. Further evidence comes in the form of a carved, vintage arrow pointing to the deepest, hardest hit ball mark on the barrel of the bat. Ruth is known for the unique habit of making notches on his bats denoting important home runs, so this arrow could be pointing, like Ruth's called shot itself, to a home run of particular significance. Irrespective of its place in history, the bat is truly special and one of the finest Ruth specimens ever offered to the public. It measures 34.75" and weighs 37.2 oz., and is graded a perfect 10 by PSA. It has seen terrific use with deep stitch and ball marks on the left barrel, as well as blue, gray, and green paint transfers from bat racks. The bat is uncracked, and carved into the left side of the barrel is an arrow pointing to the very deepest stitch indention. It comes with a comprehensive, 14-page PSA report and LOA. To quote the report, "It's ironic, with the many iconic bats of Ruth, several of which represent notable home runs, held today at the Hall of Fame and in private collections, the 'Called Shot' did not find a home. We think it did, inadvertently."

Just Collecting Article about the Lelands auction
https://news.justcollecting.com/babe...lises-212-500/

A baseball bat that might have been the one Babe Ruth used to make his 1932 “Called Shot” realised $212,587 in an online auction at Lelands on March 23.
Ruth hit the famous homer during the third game of the World Series against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

As he stepped up to the plate, the Cubs bench jeered at him. In response Ruth (so the story goes) pointed at the centre bleachers. On his third strike, Ruth succeeded in blasting the ball at the exact spot he’d indicated.

Sports writer Joe Williams wrote in the New York World Telegram: "In the fifth, with the Cubs riding him unmercifully from the bench, Ruth pointed to center and punched a screaming liner to a spot where no ball had been hit before."

After the article came out, Ruth was quick to confirm the story. He said: "Well, I looked out at center field and pointed. I said, ‘I’m gonna hit the next pitch right past the flagpole! …As I hit the ball, every muscle in my system, every sense I had, told me that I had never hit a better one, that as long as I lived nothing would ever feel as good as this one."

There are dissenting opinions on whether Ruth actually predicted a home run. Cubs pitcher Charlie Root claimed he never saw Ruth point at the bleachers. Other accounts suggest Ruth may have been trying to call attention to a loose scoreboard.

There’s also no definitive proof that this is the bat he used, although it is from the correct era. The auction house explained: “Further evidence comes in the form of a carved, vintage arrow pointing to the deepest, hardest hit ball mark on the barrel of the bat. Ruth is known for the unique habit of making notches on his bats denoting important home runs, so this arrow could be pointing, like Ruth’s called shot itself, to a home run of particular significance.”

The record for a Babe Ruth bat is $1.2m, set for the one he used to hit his first home run at the newly opened Yankee Stadium in 1923."

Perhaps it is "photo-matched" to this painting...

That image is from the following article:

HE CALLED IT
Baseball Hall of Fame
by SCOTT PITONIAK
https://baseballhall.org/discover-mo...ruth-called-it
Old 06-16-2024, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a cool painting!
Old 06-17-2024, 02:53 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Thank you!

Great information from this group as always.

I have his Lathe bat that is dated 5-4-32 with similiar but not exact measurements as it matches the length on the above referenced article but is a few ounces lighter. Could be due to age of course.

According to MEARS and PSA he had both bats for 1932 made from lathe models sent to him on 4-18-32 and 5-4-32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (137.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (75.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg MEARS LOA Copy.jpg (181.2 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-17-2024, 06:51 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Its in a private collection. The owner prefers to remain anonymous
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
Michael

Wow Bill. Absolutely incredible.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyscards View Post
Great information from this group as always.

I have his Lathe bat that is dated 5-4-32 with similiar but not exact measurements as it matches the length on the above referenced article but is a few ounces lighter. Could be due to age of course.

According to MEARS and PSA he had both bats for 1932 made from lathe models sent to him on 4-18-32 and 5-4-32.