NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Boxes on eBay

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Fraud pays! This guy will make over $1800 overhyping three 1920 Tobacco packs!
Note: Population report from Steve Rocci, and other bold statements.

eBay Item #'s: 4123047337, 4123047701, & 4123047965

Old 04-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Without an overprinted date on the tax stamp (which is rare), Sweet Caporal is one of the most difficult unopened brands to date to 1909-11-- and any eBay seller who dates one exclusively to a specific period is jumping to conclusions ... Without an overprint, some relevant unopened brands that can be dated to a narrow time period include American Beauty, Coupon, Helmar and Piedmont ... The problem for the collector is that Sweet Caporal is by far the most plentiful brand on the market.

Also, the collector should not automatically assume that the correct pack will hold a Mint card. One might buy the correct pack for $900 and pull a $40 T206 out of it.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The t205s I was lucky enough to opened containted NM/Mint cards, but the t206s I saw come from packs in the late 80s were far from NM, many with heavy stains.

Jay

Old 04-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Take a look at the picture. It's not a slide & shell box. It's a pack of cigarettes. How convenient for the seller to be away most of the auction. "1/1 as the pop reports indicate". Everyone knows that population reports are not given out to buyers or sellers. One of a kind bold face lie.

"I fly planes as a hobby and I often go into Trenton airport in NJ where it happens to have a baggage scanner. I had a friend who works there scan these three packs and he said there was definitely a cardboard insert in each of these packs! " Must have gotten fired over this. Besides, what does the x-ray show anyway? I don't see a card!

he mispells "Steve Rocci". I live close to GAI. All 3 promise it to be a "Monster". Even has wrong tax stamps. Definately not T206 boxes.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Richard is completely correct in that all of these packs do not contain cards. The one “period” Sweet Caporal pack is even suspect of being truly unopened, missing it’s tax stamp. What is even more concerning to me, even bordering on ludicrous is that GAI has certified the other two packs as being from the 1909-1919ish time period. It is quite obviously neither are – especially the cellophane wrapped one. I may be wrong but I was under the impression cellophane was not even used until much later; like 1940/50 – was it even around in 1920? I sure hope someone forwards these auctions or this web link to GAI because they NEED to stop this. This has really got to be the worst job GAI has ever done on grading tobacco packs… I mean, these aren’t even close...

Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I found a web site that said cellophane wasn't invented until 1908 and only mentions its usage in gas masks by 1912.

I didn't find anything about its use with tobacco packaging so this is just a FYI.

YES! It's a slow day at work.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Haller

...so I am hesitant to contradict you, But those tobacco boxes ARE in GAI holders; therefore, they are beyond reproach. Please keep in mind that the people at GAI are employeed as expert card-related authenticators - why would they slab something without doing the necessary research, research which you people seem to have done rather quickly?

I think it would be much easier on everyone if you simply accepted what is said on slab labels - this will save you headaches and will make it much easier to barter these goods. The people at GAI, just like the other slabbing companies, are simply trying to make a buck - just turn your heads and let them do their jobs!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

the most idiotic, moronic, stupid, insipid remark I have read on the Net54 board. Harry, you need serious help. "Turn you head"????? Why on earth would someone be so dumb to do that? If that is truly how you feel I have a bunch of Mel Ott & Babe Ruth autographs to sell you. They come with a COA personally signed by me because I am an expert. Please don't pay any attention to the card stock or sharpie ink they were written on/with. Even though both post-date 1975.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Halleygator

Call me Crazy...

but I am guessing that Harry was being sarcastic.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I forget the literary term for it, but Harry did one heck of a job pretending to take one position while in the process pointing out the fallacies and absurdities of this position. You have to pick on the the subtle give aways, such as use of turns of phrases such as "barter these goods" and pointing out that we all were able to find out this pack information "rather quickly" to understand that he is not a nutcase GAI supporter, but instead a critic of how grading companies carelessly ID these tobacco packs.

Bravo Harry, unless of course you really are a nutcase.

Brian

Old 04-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

...is his troll-ish sense of humor. I wonder if he has a familiar IP address?

One day, GAI is going to label a pre-WWI pack correctly. Until then, every seller who has one can continue this run of wild optimism.

Bill

Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Administrator

I went to GAI today! (Irvine,Ca.) I spoke to Steve Rocchi. I brought a copy of Jon Canfield's book with me. Steve expressed to me that he was happy to accept any info that might help their company better grade T206 Boxes. I brought examples, etc.

Steve also is willing to become involved with this forum. I would like to remind everyone that this forum is to help others. So let's please be kind the Steve. Steve will come here to learn from the experts that we have here. So let's help him, help us.

Steve has slabbed my Elementary Schools' baseball cards for the last 2 years. Did it free of charge. So I ask that everyone try their best to give Steve the info he needs.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

The label or description shouldn't be more specific than the examiners' knowledge about the item. This applies to all forms of examination, whether its of baseball cards or paintings in the Louvre. Keys to giving proper judgement on authenticity include to be conscious of what you know and what you don't know. The well-trained expert is willing to say, "I have no clue" or "Hell if I know." It's a beginner who has all the answers.

Old 04-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=4123047337 US $1,825.00
1909 SWEET CAPORAL TOBACCO PACK GAI 8 T-206
Hey, that's not a DeWitt/Clinton stamp! Rip it open and tell us what you got. Doh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=4123047701 US $1,009.99
1909 SWEET CAPORAL TOBACCO PACK GAI 6 T-206
Be really great if we could see the tax stamp. Probally has overprinting greater than 1912, or overprinting removed. If I was selling the box, I would've included a scan of the tax stamp at 300% to remove all doubt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=4123047965 US $535.00
1909 SWEET CAPORAL TOBACCO PACK GAI 5 T-206
Cellophane!

gem*mint*rarities total heist: $3369.99! Feel sorry for the 3 who won nothing.

[edited to move to previous post and to add links]

Old 04-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Too sleepy t think of anything clever. Glad to see thee well.

I'll post a pink and black Hassan box that Scott M. traded me at a more reasonable hour.