NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Patrick N.

Default Frank Robinson cards seem to get the shaft...

Maybe my observation is off-base but it seems to me like Frank Robinson card values in comparison to his contemporaries are lower than they should be considering his strong HOF career accomplishments. Can anyone explain this or is the premise of my argument wrong? Thanks

Last edited by mintacular; 01-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

I agree - Frank Robinson cards are way undervalued considering his accomplishments (both during his playing days and after). He gets no love from either Cincy or the O's fans. Sometimes when you split a career with two or more teams you don't have a unified fan base that wants to buy your cards.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Glen R. Turner, Jr.

Default Frank Robinson cards seem to get the shaft...

Frank Robinson was not very cordial towards fans during or after his playing days.
He hated signing autographs during his career.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Phil Garry

Probably not great with the media either, see Eddie Murray, Jim Rice, etc.......
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Maybe my observation is off-base but it seems to me like Frank Robinson card values in comparison to his contemporaries are lower than they should be considering his strong HOF career accomplishments. Can anyone explain this or is the premise of my argument wrong? Thanks

I've always thought the same. ROY, 2 MVP's, Triple Crown, World Series MVP, Manager of the Year.

His numbers compare favorably to Mantle and the other top dogs of his era.

If he had been from a large market ballclub or had the personality of a Clemente his cards would be through the roof.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Johnny S

Agree with all statements above. He seems to have been somewhat of a Barry Bonds of his era, minus the steroids. He does have some very nice looking cards, his 57 and 65 are as nice looking as any ever made.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Paul

Default Could be a good thing

I always thought it is a great opportunity! If you collect Frank Robinson you would have an easier time finding the stuff you want and the prices lower. Plus other sellers may discount it even more if the player is more difficult to find a buyer for.
I always collected oddball & unusual antique sports memorabilia items so sellers didn't have a beckett to look in for pricing and I could pay what I felt was a fair price in my own mind, and not what a book with set prices tried to make me pay. Take Care!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Supply and Demand

Ultimately the value side of any item is a supply and demand issue. While I am sure there are many rare or scarce Robinson cards (short supply), there is also, likely for the reasons enumerated in previous replies to this post, a shortage of demand. Demand>Supply=upward price pressure, Supply>Demand=downward price pressure. So he may have been just as much the ballplayer that Mickey Mantle was, just a heck of a lot less people care. My 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Patrick N.

Default I understand basic economics but...

my thread is trying to uncover why there is not greater demand for his cards given his accomplishments. Some have already answered that, saying he was not a popular person and/or played for too many teams, etc.

Last edited by mintacular; 01-05-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
my thread is trying to uncover why there is not greater demand for his cards given his accomplishments. Some have already answered that, saying he was not a popular person and/or played for too many teams, etc.
I think he was just a little under the radar in the major media markets. Willie Mays is probably just as surly but he played in NY and cemented his legend, then burnished it in SF. Robby's list of accomplishments is long and impressive though and I agree it's a headscratcher.

I also think his early cards are more easily found, especially in high grade, than say Mantle or Aaron. Big difference between 52-53-54 and 1957 in terms of cards printed and number still extant and in nice shape.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Jason

Default Dave, I would agree with that last comment regarding supply

I am just underway in building my player collection of Frank, so I was a little dismayed to see this thread at first, but what the heck...it's no secret we have a 500 HR club member with several attractive cards in abundant supply. Keep the prices low and allows schmucks like me to swoop in and get them. I love Frank's cards from 1958 through 1964.
You're right though about the issue years...Frank's prices in the 1960s compare to those of Eddie Mathews, but those Mathews cards of 1956 and older are much tougher and more expensive to add to the collection...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One of my all time favorite players but I think he was unfortunate to have played in an era where he was not even among the three best starting outfielders: I'd take Mantle, Mays and Aaron over him (and perhaps even Clemente). He was perhaps the fourth or fifth best--and he is priced accordingly. Kinda the Ken Norton of his era (stuck behind Ali, Frazier and Foreman).

I do think personality has a role too. Mays was probably better than Mantle--except for a few peak seasons--but is priced lower than Mantle IMO in part because he is a real turd in a punchbowl at shows, while Mantle for the most part was cordial or even friendly at times. I know that he had that effect on my collecting. Mays was my favorite as a little kid but when I met him (or rather had him not even say hello in reply to my greeting as he was signing my baseball at a show) I sold off my collection of his cards. Sometimes meeting your idols is a bad thing...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.