NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2023, 08:14 PM
Nate

Default 1906 White Sox Postcard Identification

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone might know the details on this 1906 White Sox Postcard. It looks just like the F.P. Burke team photo postcard, but it’s an American League Champions variation and doesn’t include the copyright information.The stamped date on the back align with the Burke versions as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3471.jpg (203.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3472.jpg (197.6 KB, 248 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 09:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm thinking those must have been prepared ahead of time.

A rough guess, they clinched the pennant on the 2nd, leaving 11 days between clinching and when it was mailed. That's pretty quick turnaround. If they're typographed, it would have been much easier.
Old 10-10-2023, 02:51 PM

Neat postcard Nate!

I have one that's similar, but it has a purplish tone to it...

Old 10-10-2023, 03:57 PM
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm thinking those must have been prepared ahead of time.

A rough guess, they clinched the pennant on the 2nd, leaving 11 days between clinching and when it was mailed. That's pretty quick turnaround. If they're typographed, it would have been much easier.
The stamped date on the back I find super fascinating. As you laid out it poses some cool questions and also the day before they won it all. I wonder if the lack of the copyright is because they tried to rush these into production before the WS.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:59 PM
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Neat postcard Nate!

I have one that's similar, but it has a purplish tone to it...

Your copy is so nice! Thanks for sharing. Where did you pick up your copy from? I was lucky enough to find mine at a card show in RI.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie33 View Post
Your copy is so nice! Thanks for sharing. Where did you pick up your copy from? I was lucky enough to find mine at a card show in RI.
I won it at auction (I forget which auction house it was) back in 2017.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:00 AM
Joe

I have the same one. I’ll have to look at the date stamp tonight
Old 10-12-2023, 10:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie33 View Post
The stamped date on the back I find super fascinating. As you laid out it poses some cool questions and also the day before they won it all. I wonder if the lack of the copyright is because they tried to rush these into production before the WS.
I think that's possible.

Not knowing how it was printed, it could go a few ways.
Lithography, they would have had to make a new master, or at least new masters for the league champions caption. If it was me I'd keep the picture and names/copyright as one master making the missing copyright odd.

If it was typographed, the picture would have been a print block, and the captions probably set with type. maybe with the names as a block, and copyright as it's own block. Setup to add the champions caption would have been very quick and easy. Leaving out the copyright could have happened very easily.

Typographed stuff usually has the text slightly indented into the stock, and thicker ink around the edges of each letter.

Other processes like typography with offset, or rotogravure, or even typographed from electroplates are things I'm not sued to seeing on cards, but could have been used. With a range of setup times. Electroplate would I think be least likely.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:29 PM
Nate

Really interesting! Didn’t realize how many different processes there were for postcard printing. I appreciate this insight as I find it really thought provoking.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Pretty much any method can be used for anything. Some methods aren't good for only making a few of something some are a bit better. Mostly because of the cost and time to set up to make it.

The new stuff that's digital straight on to the press that makes the plate on the press is amazing. Most of the 1/x shiny stuff would not be all that workable without it.